CFZ Thoughts after game 2

DanA

Reaction score
I felt like our offense really complimented our defense. It wasn't perfect but was very good.

• Dak was very quick to release and negated the pressure and Romo was banging on about his footwork so maybe there's been some improvement. He actually got hit a bit (even if it was one sack) but managed to get completions on most plays in a pretty conservative passing game. It was a very good performance overall with just the one missed target (Ferguson) in the RedZone and a bit of a risky ball to Gallup up the middle. We seemed to love that wheel route to the right hitting just about everybody with it but it did net us some yards.
  • We sustained some long drives but had some hiccups in the RedZone. At least the drive led to points though, and this is a very good Jets defense so RedZone struggles are to be expected.
  • Ceedee had a monster game but it was a bit worrying how reliant we were on him and the lack of contribution for others. Gallup was completely anonymous which isn't ideal. Tobert looked slightly better but with Cooks out, there seems too few supporting Lamb.
  • Duece was not bad for a change of pace back. He stalled that one drive bobbling the ball, but came back out and moved the chains shortly after. He gets a "rookie nerves" pass for me. Dowdle looked really explosive and Pollard eventually got going after tough sledding in the first half. It was a good mix even if it wasn't a great YPC overall. Again, we faced a very good defense so not unexpected.
  • The blocking of the TE's was again a feature on the outside and it was good to see them have an impact with two TD's. Could have been three if Dak didn't overthrow the last one.
  • The line play was decent but the left side was a little inconsistent both Smith at LT and Edoga/Bass. The other three had much better games on first look.

• The defense was again brilliant overall. Really it was one single crossing route by Garrett Wilson, and then some QB scrables that did damage. Bryce Hall and Cook got nothing in the run game. The receivers were barely sited outside that one play
  • Interceptions to Hooker, Diggs, and Kearse add to interceptions from Gilmore and Bland. We are +7 now on turnovers (league-leading) after being +10 last season. Turnovers win games and few teams can do it consistently year on year but we seem to have found a way.
  • Parsons is a game wrecker and maybe the best player in the NFL but we are also seeing some pretty good play from Odigi and DLaw as well on the D-line. I didn't really notice Masi, Gallimore, or Hankins but I'd probably need a second watch to really comment.
  • The young safeties didn't flash like last week but I didn't notice anything bad. Hooker and Kearse both had interceptions and Hooker had the one bad missed tackle.
  • I haven't been all that impressed by the linebacker play so far. It'd be nice to see LVE and Clark show a bit more moving forward.
  • The kicker was perfect, and the punter was very good too, can't really complain about ST although I'm not sold on Turpin and his fair catch decision-making

We have to be one of the best teams in the league. It seems like we have a top 3 defense (if not no.1) and a top 10 (possibly top 5) offense.

quickccc

Reaction score
Thanks for Sharing ...

OFFENSE:

Except 4 the Sauce dropped pick-six INT it; and missing a wide open Ferguson in end zone. Dak had a solid game. 31 out of 38 passes and 2 TDs; and helped get 30 points on board: Dak played a manageable game. Found Lamb several times over;

- 44 rush attempts meant we’re not gonna go pass frenzy. We were going to be physical and we involved the front 3 RBs both in run/pass game. Not a lot of rush room vs jets horses.

- 2nd week str8, a trailing center Tyler Biadasz saved a fumble; (whew) For 2nd week str8, reserve OG Chuma did an admirable job on an elite DT, this week vs Quenton Williams, when sided vs. Tyron Smith had a hold flag on a Pollard TD, Steele had 2nd str8 false start per week and Dak was popped a few times, but many times Dak had clean pocket much of the day and overall team rushed for 134 yds rushing and placed 30 points on score board.

- FB Lupeke had one really nice block, but he wiffed or confused who to block: club gonna try to make him a blocker.

- TEs were productive vs pass: Ferguson and rookie Schoon had TD debuts,

- Lamb just went off: bubble screens, slot, they moved him around (and away from Sauce) and jets could not scheme to cover him. Took huge flip over hit and never blinked.

- Gallup had one middle catch but not targeted much. Tolbert contributed a couple of catches: Turpin made

DEFENSE

- Parsons simply dominated and took over: 2 sacks, 3 tackles for losses, and a fumble strip. Jets simply could never slow him. Hank (again) was a force vs run, and Osa had another sack, giving him 3 sacks in just 2 games. Rush was on top of Zach Wilson much of the day;

- D’ had 3 INTs, key was forcing QB Wilson to pass; 11 str8 games

- Only sore spots was the big Garrett Wilson TD catch, and Wilson making several runs up middle;

- With no Aaron Rodgers- Cowboys D’ will not get a true QB challenge until they face Jalen Hurts or Brock Purdy, imo.

- I did not notice Clark in this game, Bell had 4 tackles: i dunno why we keep blitzing LVE, hes mediocre in that area. Drop him in coverage. That's his strength.

- Gilmore gave up a couple of underneath catches but that Wilson TD was more on Hooker; Diggs had breakups and an INT: both safeties (Kearse- Hooker) had INTs; Hooker missed key tackle on WR Wilson, for Jets only TD, but made INT on deep pass later.

SPECIAL TEAMS

-Jets special teams caught Bones unit of guard for a fake punt play; Bland had untimely flag
-Rookie FG kicker was terrific with 4 FGs. 54 FG was a big momentum for team, kicker, solid PR coverage again
- Turpin got confused with fair catching at 9yd despite room to return:

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Mac and Dak - -

Mike McCarthy shows why he is a head coach with his understanding of the game and circumstance of the opponent. His Gulf Coast Offense© is beginning to reveal an aspect we haven't seen under the Dallas Cowboy's star for a long time. The passes come out quickly. Decisions are made, and the understanding a completed pass offers another opportunity to move the chains on the next play versus standing and waiting for the deeper pass play to develop. Or a riskier pass attempt which opens up the possibility for turnovers. This fostered a game plan which was conservative and under control. While I did get a little frustrated in the red zone, I must admit when Dallas got to 18, the game looked out of reach for the Jets. And with this understanding, it became evident McCarthy was risking less to protect the ball and any unexpected results. The Jets have a propensity this season to rally when errors are committed by the opposition. So McCarthy elected to call safe plays, get points, and allow his defense to control the Jets during long drives.

I also believe one of the reasons McCarthy played it safe was the subtractions of Cooks, who will open up this offense with his presence. I love the idea of a foot on the throat of the other team, but this confidence in the offense married with a game plan that produced in every quarter allowed the team to play the safe hand. And this, perhaps for the first time in the tenure of McCarthy, offers us, the great unwashed, to see his true skills at steering a team to victory. He has the tools needed, and not to create the opportunity is ahead.

This offense is perfect for Dak. I have been stressing this past off season that Dak, in the right circumstances, can produce. His stats tell that tale. But what is different here is the acceptance of his shortcomings, and building on what he does well. There have been far too many quarterbacks who have won the big game and were not at the top of the list for that position. Keep Dak out of trouble, use this multi-headed monster of an offense to post points, and rely on the defense to hold the other team at bay.

Now consider there are starting level players who are not on the field during this game, or thus far into this season. That portends a bright future this year if Dallas sticks with what wins.

I haven't seen anything from the Eagles thus far that scare me. It looks like Hurts is coming back to earth. The 9ers look good, but what happens when Purdy is assaulted by a defensive front. Does he fold? Or does he have the talent to rise to the occasion? I am skeptical of Purdy and understand this team is very much better than last year's team that lost in the play-offs.

It's early and things can change. But at this juncture, the hype machine about this team may finally be right.

I look forward to Sunday's. What a grand feeling versus some of the hot mess the fan base has suffered over two and a half decades.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Ceedee had a monster game but it was a bit worrying how reliant we were on him and the lack of contribution for others. Gallup was completely anonymous which isn't ideal. Tobert looked slightly better but with Cooks out, there seems too few supporting Lamb.
For god sake we went 31/38 and you're complaining about who caught the ball :facepalm:. A different (more positive) take is that the TCO and the play designs are working so well that it's allowing CeeDee (presumably the 1st read) to get open.

Interestingly, you dont mention how McCarthy's offense seems to suit Dak, the whole hurry up, the quick reads, and the (varied) checkdowns. The fact Dak threw to 9 receivers shows its the play design that's important, not the personnel (outside possibly of CeeDee), he's not looking or waiting for certain receivers to get open, its CeeDee then whoever's the designated checkdown.

Under Moore it always looked (even when we won), that the offense was to show case his play designs, this TCO looks as if it's designed to get the best out of the players.

plymkr

Reaction score
Mac and Dak - -

Mike McCarthy shows why he is a head coach with his understanding of the game and circumstance of the opponent. His Gulf Coast Offense© is beginning to reveal an aspect we haven't seen under the Dallas Cowboy's star for a long time. The passes come out quickly. Decisions are made, and the understanding a completed pass offers another opportunity to move the chains on the next play versus standing and waiting for the deeper pass play to develop. Or a riskier pass attempt which opens up the possibility for turnovers. This fostered a game plan which was conservative and under control. While I did get a little frustrated in the red zone, I must admit when Dallas got to 18, the game looked out of reach for the Jets. And with this understanding, it became evident McCarthy was risking less to protect the ball and any unexpected results. The Jets have a propensity this season to rally when errors are committed by the opposition. So McCarthy elected to call safe plays, get points, and allow his defense to control the Jets during long drives.

I also believe one of the reasons McCarthy played it safe was the subtractions of Cooks, who will open up this offense with his presence. I love the idea of a foot on the throat of the other team, but this confidence in the offense married with a game plan that produced in every quarter allowed the team to play the safe hand. And this, perhaps for the first time in the tenure of McCarthy, offers us, the great unwashed, to see his true skills at steering a team to victory. He has the tools needed, and not to create the opportunity is ahead.

This offense is perfect for Dak. I have been stressing this past off season that Dak, in the right circumstances, can produce. His stats tell that tale. But what is different here is the acceptance of his shortcomings, and building on what he does well. There have been far too many quarterbacks who have won the big game and were not at the top of the list for that position. Keep Dak out of trouble, use this multi-headed monster of an offense to post points, and rely on the defense to hold the other team at bay.

Now consider there are starting level players who are not on the field during this game, or thus far into this season. That portends a bright future this year if Dallas sticks with what wins.

I haven't seen anything from the Eagles thus far that scare me. It looks like Hurts is coming back to earth. The 9ers look good, but what happens when Purdy is assaulted by a defensive front. Does he fold? Or does he have the talent to rise to the occasion? I am skeptical of Purdy and understand this team is very much better than last year's team that lost in the play-offs.

It's early and things can change. But at this juncture, the hype machine about this team may finally be right.

I look forward to Sunday's. What a grand feeling versus some of the hot mess the fan base has suffered over two and a half decades.
I've said this for a couple seasons now but the less Dak has to think the better he is. Dak excels in the two minute drill and coming from behind. I always felt if we went to a no huddle offense, ala Bills in the 90's with Kelly, then Dak would be at his best. Well I feel McCarthy is getting the best out of Dak with his offense. Dak isn't thinking as much and the WRs are not running complicated routes and the offensive linemen are not pass blocking for a slow developing play. This brings out the best in every phase of the offense. Garrett and Moore's offense was outdated or didn't fit our personal, or all of the above. I am really encouraged about this offensive scheme and how Dak has responded. 70 points and no TOs in 2 games. Dude, that's championship level offense, especially pairing with a top defense. This is exciting.

On a side note I also am skeptical of Purdy. He's only played roughly half a season and not a lot of game film on him yet. I think he'll get figured out. Also he relies on his players making something happen so the speed of our defense will be a problem for him. I'm not saying he isn't good but lets not put him in the HOF yet.

doomsday808

Reaction score
WR group is not as deep as we think.
OL depth needs attention. Defense is probably the best I've seen.
Dak will never get a pass until he wins SB.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dak excels in the two minute drill and coming from behind
No he doesnt (statistically and 49ers x2 shows, that's his kryptonite). I totally agree he's a brilliant QB when we're rolling and he doesnt have to think or worry (and that includes worry about other factors such as WR's not performing), but he struggles in those games where he's forced to play outside this comfort zone (due to pressure of the scoreboard/clock).

Not saying Dak cant do it late on.....im sure MM has designed a scheme that will suit Dak (as opposed to Moore who probably didnt help as he was dialling up spectatcular plays, that failed and added to Dak's pressure).....but atm, the ability to come back from behind under a two minute drill is probably the only question mark that needs to be ticked off the list (possibly between us and the SB).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
WR group is not as deep as we think.
OL depth needs attention. Defense is probably the best I've seen.
Dak will never get a pass until he wins SB.
Didnt yesterday kind of indicate we dont have to RELY on the WR group....TCO better utilizes TE's and RB's in flexible situations, it's the who basis of deception and that unlike 3/4 WR sets (and Air Coryell) the defense is kept guessing as TE could be blocking OR receiving and RB's could be run OR receiving.
OL Depth looked OK, provided Edoga and Tyler arent long term casualties....we've got resources to strengthen later in the season.
Nah on Dak, he's doing well.

plymkr

Reaction score
No he doesnt (statistically and 49ers x2 shows, that's his kryptonite). I totally agree he's a brilliant QB when we're rolling and he doesnt have to think or worry (and that includes worry about other factors such as WR's not performing), but he struggles in those games where he's forced to play outside this comfort zone (due to pressure of the scoreboard/clock).

Not saying Dak cant do it late on.....im sure MM has designed a scheme that will suit Dak (as opposed to Moore who probably didnt help as he was dialling up spectatcular plays, that failed and added to Dak's pressure).....but atm, the ability to come back from behind under a two minute drill is probably the only question mark that needs to be ticked off the list (possibly between us and the SB).
I guess I didn’t specify too well. I meant all 2 minute drills. I thought the last couple years he’s done a good job at the end of halfs in the two minute drill. He does have some come from behind victories on his resume (Houston last year) but I agree with your overall point. He can’t place the team on his shoulders and go win the game. Especially in the playoffs. What I’m excited about with this offense is it seems to play to his comfort zone. But, I agree with what you said, and I’d like to see him in this offense in a come from behind game. But overall I’m excited about how he’s responding to the offense so far. The defense has helped him greatly but he’s also helped the defense. Complimentary football at its best.

CCBoy

Reaction score
A strong game from Lamb and the tight ends produced as needed and in blocing. Consistent defense both at the line of scrimmage and secondary.

The run defense showed strongly against a very strong running group. This season may yet boil down to games against Philadelphia and San Francisco.

I am very happy with the stability of the offensive line and directions of fill there in that group. Some good fills for starters already. Mark this fan happy with that element of the roster.

The passing game will improve over the season. The Cardinals and New England should allow for just that growth coming up.

I hope that both the sacks and turn-overs continue.

DanA

Reaction score
For god sake we went 31/38 and you're complaining about who caught the ball :facepalm:. A different (more positive) take is that the TCO and the play designs are working so well that it's allowing CeeDee (presumably the 1st read) to get open.

Interestingly, you dont mention how McCarthy's offense seems to suit Dak, the whole hurry up, the quick reads, and the (varied) checkdowns. The fact Dak threw to 9 receivers shows its the play design that's important, not the personnel (outside possibly of CeeDee), he's not looking or waiting for certain receivers to get open, its CeeDee then whoever's the designated checkdown.

Under Moore it always looked (even when we won), that the offense was to show case his play designs, this TCO looks as if it's designed to get the best out of the players.
You took that post as complaining? I was going more for a balanced view but I guess communication can be hard sometimes. It wasn't a perfect game, it never is. You're right that the offense does seem to suit Dak and McCarthy is playing a more conservative game than Kellen but I'm not sure you can go a whole season with Ceedee and checkdowns. Our other receivers need to show a bit more, I don't think that's an outrageous take.

Didnt yesterday kind of indicate we dont have to RELY on the WR group....TCO better utilizes TE's and RB's in flexible situations, it's the who basis of deception and that unlike 3/4 WR sets (and Air Coryell) the defense is kept guessing as TE could be blocking OR receiving and RB's could be run OR receiving.
OL Depth looked OK, provided Edoga and Tyler arent long term casualties....we've got resources to strengthen later in the season.
Nah on Dak, he's doing well.
Ceedee got like 60% of our yards in the passing game. We couldn't throw a screen pass to save ourselves last season, I love that we've fixed that and I am very happy with the offensive output but I am flagging an overreliance on Ceedee and a desire to see more from our other receivers and TE's. That's not to say it is a problem, more that it might be and something Defensive Coordinators key into if we don't demonstrate other reliable avenues in the passing game.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
What I appreciate most about the new offense and McCarthy’s role was Dak talking about his footwork. No, not the basic footwork of passing the ball, but he alluded to the fact that on each play, his footwork is synced in time with the receivers’ routes. Footwork to throw here, not there, footwork to next read, not there, footwork to check down, throw…..all in time with when the receivers are where they are supposed to be. Sometimes that last read and dump off was stymied by a great defense, but it still worked for no sack or getting the ball knocked out.

The timing and footwork requires Dak to look at a spot and move on, not hang on it until he’s forced to throw or gets flushed. Now, sometimes a guy is going to break wide open and we will miss a big play because the qb moved on with his reads and footwork, but the big picture impack on our success is priceless. Compare that with 3 receivers all running 7 yard curls at the same time and picking which one to throw to at first glance, knowing the other two are just standing there if you give up on #1. Even worse when you actually needed 12 yards.

CCBoy

Reaction score
What I appreciate most about the new offense and McCarthy’s role was Dak talking about his footwork. No, not the basic footwork of passing the ball, but he alluded to the fact that on each play, his footwork is synced in time with the receivers’ routes. Footwork to throw here, not there, footwork to next read, not there, footwork to check down, throw…..all in time with when the receivers are where they are supposed to be. Sometimes that last read and dump off was stymied by a great defense, but it still worked for no sack or getting the ball knocked out.

The timing and footwork requires Dak to look at a spot and move on, not hang on it until he’s forced to throw or gets flushed. Now, sometimes a guy is going to break wide open and we will miss a big play because the qb moved on with his reads and footwork, but the big picture impack on our success is priceless. Compare that with 3 receivers all running 7 yard curls at the same time and picking which one to throw to at first glance, knowing the other two are just standing there if you give up on #1. Even worse when you actually needed 12 yards.
Lol, smarter not harder...

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Time of possession against the Jets was 42:15 and against the Giants last week, 33:28.

I know that 2 games don't define a trend, but ToP for these games is one of the best indicators of success.

shabazz

Reaction score
Starting to look like the health of our players will be the deciding factor.

I still want to see how we matchup against the Niners in a couple weeks but what we’ve seen so far is an improvement from last season, even with the very small sample size.

Efficient offense, stifling defense, and excellent special teams is what we’ve seen.

shabazz

Reaction score
Time of possession against the Jets was 42:15 and against the Giants last week, 33:28.

I know that 2 games don't define a trend, but ToP for these games is one of the best indicators of success.
The only thing to nitpick about is turning just a few of those FGs to TDs…..

But the strength of the defense and situational football logic factored in on those decisions

If it wasn’t a top 3 defense we were facing and the game was close, i guarantee that we would have gone for it on 4th down at least twice and probably converted it into TDs instead of FGs.

the decision to take the sure 3 points when we did made perfect sense