Thoughts on Cowboys Rams Preseason Game

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I've just finished watching the Cowboys Rams Preseason game on NFL Network. This was my first time watching the game as I was busy trying to clean my apartment that was necessary. Here are my thoughts on the Cowboys Rams Preseason Game.

• Lance was okay. Not great, but not as bad as it sounded like he was. I think his 4th down throw in the end zone really should have been better. He seems like, when the run option is taken away, he seems to hesitate. He seemed to be a bit of check down charlie-ish. I'm all for taking what the defence gives, but he seemed a bit passive at times. His deep passes seem to need some work. However, his run ability is very good, and I think he has potential. I expect him to hit some of the deeper targets with more accuracy against the Raiders. I would like to see him convert the short fields with touchdowns. I'll give him an incomplete overall. Not terrible, but I must say I have more questions than answers after watching his performance. I won't say he failed. I think there's potential, but I can't give a definitive grade from it. Also, he had a beautiful spin move on 4th down where he spun out and ran for a 1st. Well done!! I suppose, if really was pushed, maybe a D+ or a C-.
  • The D was solid overall. 4 picks (really should have been 5 if not for a Butler penalty, and would've likely won the game) overall. I think the holding is something Zimmer can fix. My big concern here was our run defence. We seem, yet again, like we can be really good when we know the Rams were passing, but the run game left a bit to be desired. I'm aware that we just made a trade for a NT, so that should hopefully help. The run defence looked, in fairness, a bit better than last season. However, it didn't look improved enough to where I'd be comfortable with it going into the season starting against Cleveland (where I live btw). I'll give this unit a B+ though. Really played well enough to win that game if not for a couple of penalties. Unlucky there.
  • Oline - I think the oline looked good. I especially enjoyed watching Bebee and Guyton. I think our oline is going to be good. Also, Richard looked solid. Overall, they missed a few key blocks (one of which, Rush made a great play to save the drive). The run blocking was decent too. I'll give them a B.
  • Aubrey - A+. Need I say more? I'm not going to fault him for the 65 yarder.
  • Dline - I'll give them a B for pass rushing but a F for run stopping. That performance against the run has me worried about our season. Hope Phillips is the solution.
  • Linebackers - B, I think they played well overall.
  • Running backs - unimpressed. The blocking was good. The run game should have been much better with the blocking. I'll give them an F.

These are my breakdown from what I saw from the game. All in all, we should have won that game if not for a few poor penalties. I liked the interceptions. Those need to be TDs. Hope the coaches have made that clear in practice. Lance was okay, but I can't quite give a full idea of what I think. I see potential. I see his run ability. I see that he's got a decent arm. But his accuracy on the deeper passes left a lot for me to desire, and I think he sort of froze when the run option was taken away from him. His check down charlie-ish style isn't going to win a lot of games if Dak goes down.

The run game was poor imo, and the run defence needs some more work. Hopefully, Phillips can help solve the problem at NT. I like our rookie oline so far.

I'm excited to see at least half the Cowboys Raiders game (as it starts at 10 pm my time) on Saturday. I want to see how the team performs that game.

shabazz

Reaction score
It's more of how I think the team performed in those particular units. Maybe grading is a bit of an overreach, but it made sense from an explanation standpoint.
It's exactly why we watch the preseason games....to further evaluate rookies and other ascending players