Thoughts on Jimmy Williams??

Smith22

Reaction score
All I keep hearing about him is that scouts and coaches have been turned off by his attitude/cockiness. He sounds like the type of player who could slide come draft day. Do you take him at 18 if he happens to fall that far, and if so, who plays corner, Williams or Henry? Just curious to hear some opinions.

parchy

Reaction score
If we drafted Jimmy Williams, he would be drafted as a FS, not a corner.

With that said, I would probably pass on him. He is a great talent but Va Tech players have a tendency to create problems in the NFL. With TO on the roster, we need to take every precaution to take every "high character" guy we can find.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
parchy said:
If we drafted Jimmy Williams, he would be drafted as a FS, not a corner.

I don't know about that. He is good enough that he could start at corner and make this Henry to FS move that everyone is so fond of projecting these days.

With that said, I would probably pass on him. He is a great talent but Va Tech players have a tendency to create problems in the NFL. With TO on the roster, we need to take every precaution to take every "high character" guy we can find.

Good point. A little dramatic, but still significant.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
his rep as a punk and his play on the field (overrated) combined with not so glowing reports of a so-so workout tell me he will slide alot...I wouldnt touch him in the 1st rd...

David

Woods

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
his rep as a punk and his play on the field (overrated) combined with not so glowing reports of a so-so workout tell me he will slide alot...I wouldnt touch him in the 1st rd...

David

I have to agree.

I've read several not so glowing reports on his attitude, etc. I think he slides as well.

btcutter

Reaction score
We really can not tie up more money in the secondary. Roy and Newman's contracts are up next yr. We got other gaping holes that needs to be filled first (OL).

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
btcutter said:
We got other gaping holes that needs to be filled first (OL).

I don't think we view the OL as a gaping hole. I don't doubt our situation at outside linebacker has Coach Parcells paranoid, however.

btcutter

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I don't think we view the OL as a gaping hole. I don't doubt our situation at outside linebacker has Coach Parcells paranoid, however.

I believe our hole(s) on the OL will cost us more games this yr than our current LBing corp. I can live with our LB's but not with current OL.

Think of it this way. Our D keep forcing three and outs but our O keep giving the ball back in 3 and outs and couldn't take advantage of it's opportunities. D is going to be pretty damn tired after awhile and give up some plays.

acheman

Reaction score
My thoughts: I don't want to see him in a Dallas Cowboys uniform. Nor any other Hokie for that matter.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
btcutter said:
I believe our hole(s) on the OL will cost us more games this yr than our current LBing corp. I can live with our LB's but not with current OL.

couldnt agree more...a terrible OL had alot more to do with us sitting home last January than anything else on the team...if its isnt better this yr we'll be sitting home again...I have very little faith that the signing of a 30-something OT coming off a serious chest injury and a journeymen OG/T who hasnt been good enough to start consistently at one position are the answers to this teams OL problems...couple that with our best OL coming off ACL tear, a 30-something yr old guard who was injured and played poorly last yr, a RT who was arguably the worst regular starter at that position in the league last yr and two centers who are both no better than average and you have a sieve of an OL

I'm really hoping Winston Justice falls in our laps at 18...I'd then look at adding some talent at interior OL in rds 3-6 someplace

David

ddh33

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by Williams' talent. No one seems to be questioning that. I'm just concerned about the potential attitude problems. But, if he's the best player on the board, and if Bill thinks he can handle him, I would support it.