Thoughts on re-signing Reeves and Newman.....

noletime95

Reaction score
Reeves: He's 25, he's fast and he's improving. I don't think he'll cost the Cowboys a forturne, but it will likely be more than many think. I feel he should be a priority signing in the offseason with both Newman and Henry not getting any younger.

Newman: I struggle with what to do here. He'll be 30 when his contract expires and he's going to comand a lot of JACK. He's probably going to get a sizeable signing bonus but his game will likely slip 2-3 years into any deal. This is a tough one for many reasons. For one, throwing decent $$$ at Reeves w/out re-upping Newman could piss off Terrance and he's clearly a leader on the team. If there is any way a 5- year deal could be worked out at say an average of $7 Mil a year or so I'd be all for it. Maybe even $8 Mil if its backloaded. Of course, unless there is help on the way in this years draft, Dallas won't have much choice.

Dcowboy84

Reaction score
i think what's been forgotten by many as it pertains to Newman, is that he came into the NFL at age 25 or 26 if i remember correctly...

so yes he will is up there in age, but he is almost like a younger older player b/c he came out of college older and more fresh...

i think he will be fine, and he is a MUST to resign

noletime95

Reaction score
I really like Newman for many reasons and hope he's resigned.....I just don't want it to be with a contract that handcuffs the organization in 3 yrs.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
noletime95;1741949 said:
Reeves: He's 25, he's fast and he's improving. I don't think he'll cost the Cowboys a forturne, but it will likely be more than many think. I feel he should be a priority signing in the offseason with both Newman and Henry not getting any younger.

Newman: I struggle with what to do here. He'll be 30 when his contract expires and he's going to comand a lot of JACK. He's probably going to get a sizeable signing bonus but his game will likely slip 2-3 years into any deal. This is a tough one for many reasons. For one, throwing decent $$$ at Reeves w/out re-upping Newman could piss off Terrance and he's clearly a leader on the team. If there is any way a 5- year deal could be worked out at say an average of $7 Mil a year or so I'd be all for it. Maybe even $8 Mil if its backloaded. Of course, unless there is help on the way in this years draft, Dallas won't have much choice.

We resign T-New.

I dont know about Reeves. He has played good, but I just dont like him 8 yards off the WR most of the time. I know he doesnt want to get beat, but damn.:(

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
noletime95;1741949 said:

Maybe Newman will turn out to be another Darrell Green, and not lose his speed even when he's pushing 40... :D

jbsg02

Reaction score
It's hard to find decent corners, you gotta keep these guys. Hopefully he won't be asking for Nate Clements money

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;1742019 said:
TNew will be resigned. No question about it. Book it!

No doubt - our secondary is a weakness on this team, why get rid of the best player back there? Real smart.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
noletime95;1741949 said:

Newman: I struggle with what to do here. He'll be 30 when his contract expires and he's going to comand a lot of JACK.

CB's like Newman aren't falling from the sky. He'll get his money, and as far as I'm concerned, CB's hit their prime around 30. He deserves whatever he gets, and I don't think he's the kind of guy that will try and cripple our cap, but he knows what he's worth.

I'd resign Reeves, he won't be any team's #1 if he leaves, despite this season.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It may get a little dicey signing Reeves this offseason. Some goofball team may offer Reeves a starter's job and salary. That could be difficult for the Cowboys to beat.

One possibility would be to let Hamlin walk, do the Henry move to FS and allow Reeves to compete for Henry's former corner position. But of course I think this team will still be drafting a corner high come next April.

Newman may be a little more flexible if we try extending his contract next offseason which would allow him to get a big payday before his contract actually expires a year later.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
Barring any major injury I bet Newman could play till he's 36-37.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1742440 said:
It may get a little dicey signing Reeves this offseason. Some goofball team may offer Reeves a starter's job and salary. That could be difficult for the Cowboys to beat.

Washington...:laugh2: