CFZ Thoughts/Opinions about yesterday's win!

817Gill

Reaction score
And to get a good run game we need a starting quality RB.
Tony Pollard is a fine starter, we just have an extremely basic run block scheme. They’ve incorporated a bit more misdirection and sprinkled some ZBS stuff in and we saw a bit more from Pollard.

The run game fell off a cliff last year when Steele got hurt. It’s not about the RB, it’s about the line and scheme.

RB’s are a dime a dozen. The amount of productive RB’s in the NFL the last 6 or so years is many times more than the amount of available spots. One of the easiest positions to fill in pro sports. That’s why the RB contracts are so bad and they were fighting to improve it.

We are fine personnel-wise, we need to do more than run up the gut every first down which we’ve finally started to go away from. Pollard looked as explosive as ever Sunday.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Offense

-Carolina played that double shell defense that forced Dak to take what was given, dared them to run the football into light boxes. Running game was very hot and cold, for some reason it appeared that Carolina knew the snap count. Derrick Brown gave this front a lot of trouble, including Zach Martin.
-Thought Dak stayed patient and didn't force the action. When he needed to answer the bell after the Panthers cut the score to 7, he responded with a TD drive.
-Some questionable playcalling, wildcat multiple times???
-Dak and the offense made the Panthers pay for all their stupid penalties before halftime, excellent execution on that 3rd and goal TD to Lamb.
-Thought the Carolina Corner got away with multiple PI's on third downs against Tolbert, arm was around his waist and turned Tolbert to force an incomplete both times.

Defense

-Run Defense is extremely poor in my opinion, this was the only reason why Carolina was able to move the football with any consistency. Saw several bad angles, mistackles.
-Adam Thielan had a field day against Lewis. When watching the Bills game last night, we should of traded for from Packer/Eagle, Rasual Douglass. Lewis remains the weakest link on this unit.
-Pass rush was excellent and it wasn't just Parsons, either, thought Armstrong had another strong game.
-Cannot allow any team to convert multiple 4th downs on a single drive, very poor job by the defense.
-Thought the Panthers TE got away with an offensive PI against Kearse, when you see full extension, it is usually called.
-What can we say about Bland, might be a defensive player of the year, which is absolutely crazy!

Special Teams

-Sam Williams with a terrible running into the punter penalty, that eventually lead to a TD. These type of penalties can make you lose football games.
-Anger had another exceptional game and remains a weapon for this team.
-Audrey missed an extra point, but his next FG was right down the middle.

I am going to say this now, this week is a "must win", if the Cowboys want to realistically challenge for the division. I don't care about their record as this will be their Super Bowl and they put a beat down the last time we played them. It's a very important game to win!!
I don't remember seeing Derrick Brown line up against Tyler Smith...scared...

Sam Williams
Bones coaches them to push the limits.

Bones himself said they'll have a few mistakes from being overly aggressive but that what he wants.

Lewis was never a burner and has now clearly lost a step.

Adam Thielan is a good player. Intense...

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Tony Pollard is a fine starter, we just have an extremely basic run block scheme. They’ve incorporated a bit more misdirection and sprinkled some ZBS stuff in and we saw a bit more from Pollard.

The run game fell off a cliff last year when Steele got hurt. It’s not about the RB, it’s about the line and scheme.

RB’s are a dime a dozen. The amount of productive RB’s in the NFL the last 6 or so years is many times more than the amount of available spots. One of the easiest positions to 0%fill in pro sports. That’s why the RB contracts are so bad and they were fighting to improve it.

We are fine personnel-wise, we need to do more than run up the gut every first down which we’ve finally started to go away from. Pollard looked as explosive as ever Sunday

Agree100%. Running backs are NOT the problem with this team!

CCBoy

Reaction score
So if they beat Washington and get to 8-3. Does that count as a good win?
Just ask him why this should not have any meaning?

Dallas Defense
RankTeam2023Last 3Last 1HomeAway2022
5Dallas17.518.310.012.520.819.7

Dallas Offense
2Dallas30.235.033.040.023.726.8

Philadelphia Defense
16Philadelphia21.223.717.024.818.819.8

Philadelphia Offense
5Philadelphia27.329.021.031.824.329.1

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don't remember seeing Derrick Brown line up against Tyler Smith...scared...

Sam Williams
Bones coaches them to push the limits.

Bones himself said they'll have a few mistakes from being overly aggressive but that what he wants.

Lewis was never a burner and has now clearly lost a step.

Adam Thielan is a good player. Intense...
-It was a smart coaching decision moving Tyler inside this season as Dak now has a clean pocket to work with. Martin has had his struggles against power the last two weeks.
-Guess we are going to have to live with the good and the bad with Sam Williams.
-In my opinion, slot corner/mike linebacker are the two biggest needs on defense. Lewis is getting targeted on a game to game basis.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I didn't want to make a separate thread on this, but I think Bones needs to adjust punt return coverage to get Turpin some better opportunities. I'd like to see two jammers on the outside. We have one of the best returners in the league and we aren't giving him a chance to help the team get better field position because we are going 1 v. 1 on the gunners and we are losing.
I don’t understand why more teams don’t use 2 guys to slow down the gunner. One of the gunners is almost always the 1st player down forcing a fair catch.
We are wasting Turpin’s talent to often when he is forced to fair catch.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
And to get a good run game we need a starting quality RB.
Here is some wisdom for you:
The running backs are starting caliber.
ALL running backs need blocking.

Did you see Pollard’s TD run? You are saying that is not a starting caliber RB?

blueblood70

Reaction score
-It was a smart coaching decision moving Tyler inside this season as Dak now has a clean pocket to work with. Martin has had his struggles against power the last two weeks.
-Guess we are going to have to live with the good and the bad with Sam Williams.
-In my opinion, slot corner/mike linebacker are the two biggest needs on defense. Lewis is getting targeted on a game to game basis.
and yet

every team when you get to their 3-4 guys at every position are not going to be anywhere near as good as there #1 or 2 , teams all have weakness other teams will try and expose. no way to have 3rd db play great because they will be picked on as teams stay away from bland and Gilmore.

it's like bulletproof glass or Kevlar, its bulletproof until you shoot it multiple times in the exact same spot it will crack or eventually break.., because of the salary cap teams have to live with the fact that they're weak in certain areas where your 3rd/4th options aren't as good.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
As bad as the NFC is, Dallas is expected to make the playoffs...it's what happens in the playoffs that is the problem. Is it one and done all over again? or do they at least win one? They had their chance to make it easier on themselves, but as usual, they stunk it up again. We shall see how it goes.
As bad as the NFC is? Where does this come from?
2 of the 3 favorites to win the Superbowl are in the NFC( the Ugles and Whiners ).

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Sometimes when you use 4 players to jam the outside guys, you get free runners right up the middle.
The players in the middle are bigger, slower and less athletic AND have to block before they release. The gunners can run run down at the snap of the ball. The blockers need to wait.

We need to do a much better job of blocking the gunners!!!!!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think 1 more loss is one to many. They need to win out and root for 3 Philly losses.
Will be very hard to lose just 1 game, winning out probably unrealistic to expect. Need the Eagles to start losing a few games in any scenario.