News: Three Cowboys Defenders That Can Make Impact Plays In 2016

CCBoy

Reaction score
Three Cowboys Defenders That Can Make Impact Plays In 2016

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...-defenders-that-can-make-impact-plays-in-2016

...With the major periods of player acquisition now behind us, which players on the defense can make some plays to get the group back on track? Of course there are the obvious choices, like Sean Lee and Rolando McClain who both have a history of making big plays, or Orlando Scandrick who missed 2015 with injury, but let's look a bit deeper.

David Irving - The young defensive lineman was a great find by Will McClay when he was signed early in the 2015 season. He was a disruptive player who flashed productivity in a rotational role last season, playing all across the defensive line. Rod Marinelli has praised Irving's ability to bend, comparing him to players like Leon Lett, and has indicated that Irving would be getting his early work at the left defensive end spot, which will likely be in need of a starter early in the season with the pending suspension to incumbent starter DeMarcus Lawrence. Irving's blend of length and athleticism give him the tools to be successful, and the opportunity ahead of him could lead to solid productivity.

Byron Jones - As a rookie who bounced from position to position in the secondary, Jones played a ton of snaps, and was, for the most part, a very solid contributor. In many cases he was close to making very important and potentially game changing plays, but was slightly off in his timing resulting in a pass breakup rather than an interception. With Jones finally settling into a single position at free safety, he will be able to capture the nuances of the position, and most aptly unleash his combination of football intelligence and athleticism to make the type of plays he showed himself to be capable of in 2015.

Benson Mayowa - In free agency, the Cowboys biggest move in hopes to improve the pass rush was signing restricted free agent Mayowa to an offer sheet, which the Oakland Raiders decided not to match. Mayowa has played a limited number of snaps in career, which of course has limited his opportunity to produce, but he did show flashes in the games which he was on the field for significant snaps. It's not likely that we see Mayowa turn into the type of double-digit sack producer that this team really needs, but we have seen Rod Marinelli coax six or more sacks out of virtually unknown rushers before, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was what we saw from Mayowa in 2016. Playing lots of right defensive end until Randy Gregory returns, and working in as a situational type of rusher once Gregory returns from suspension...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If for anything, Irving and Mayowa can provide good depth and help with creating a good rotation. Maybe one or both step up and can be even better. I think Irving can be. I don't know much on Mayowa, so will have to wait and see in TC.

Jones playing a true FS, and having a dedicated position to focus on, i think he will be very good. Also allowing Marinelli to play his style of D with a true SS. Rather that be Church or Wilcox starting, and the other as backup, if both are kept. But I do feel either will be better than most expect. Also will see Heath in there, and bring along Frazier if he makes the team. Hopefully he shows promise to finally get that Darren Woodson type we been missing for years. If not, I can see a SS drafted in the first 3 rounds next year. Which maybe we should anyway.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
If for anything, Irving and Mayowa can provide good depth and help with creating a good rotation. Maybe one or both step up and can be even better. I think Irving can be. I don't know much on Mayowa, so will have to wait and see in TC.

Jones playing a true FS, and having a dedicated position to focus on, i think he will be very good. Also allowing Marinelli to play his style of D with a true SS. Rather that be Church or Wilcox starting, and the other as backup, if both are kept. But I do feel either will be better than most expect. Also will see Heath in there, and bring along Frazier if he makes the team. Hopefully he shows promise to finally get that Darren Woodson type we been missing for years. If not, I can see a SS drafted in the first 3 rounds next year. Which maybe we should anyway.

Well..

Sounds like one of those off-season stories that is just looking for something to fill space cause they need a story.

I don't think anybody but Jones is going to do anything.

Counting on practice squad talent to fix our problems is wishful thinking.

What might actually help is trading Leary and either McFadden or Morris as they are surplus talent and find us a CB or DL.

Reactions: BAT

CCBoy

Reaction score
Well..

Sounds like one of those off-season stories that is just looking for something to fill space cause they need a story.

What might actually help is trading Leary and either McFadden or Morris as they are surplus talent and find us a CB or DL.

Just exactly what practice squad talent are you attacking here?

Why weaken what will be a team strength for the sake of shopping around a targeted area? The offensive line isn't the strongest unit on the team? Running back wasn't a problem until McFadden took charge last season?

C'mon...get a real item that has been proven false, before declaring total waste by the Cowboys. You a fan?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Just exactly what practice squad talent are you attacking here?

Why weaken what will be a team strength for the sake of shopping around a targeted area? The offensive line isn't the strongest unit on the team? Running back wasn't a problem until McFadden took charge last season?

C'mon...get a real item that has been proven false, before declaring total waste by the Cowboys. You a fan?

Listen..

Its just my opinion about the writer...

I would love for them all to be Pro Bowlers..

but not going to happen.

Just my thoughts about the article.

Other than that..the players have to prove they can play.

sideon

Reaction score
Well..

Did you not see Irving last year? He was productive for the little time he got, the only reason he didn't play more was because of Rob's love for Hayden.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Listen..

Its just my opinion about the writer...

I would love for them all to be Pro Bowlers..

but not going to happen.

Just my thoughts about the article.

Other than that..the players have to prove they can play.

Redball, I don't have a single problem with you as a fan...:)

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Don't see much coming from Irving or mayowa but you never know. Hoping for the best.

hendog

Reaction score
Don't see much coming from Irving or mayowa but you never know. Hoping for the best.

I don't know much and haven't seen much of Mayowa but from what I saw from Irving last year and having a year under his belt and the whole off season with us and the fact that he's only 22 I honestly can see him making huge strides this year and start to become a force on our dline. Kid is just massive and is so athletic! If the will and drive and want to are there I think he can turn into something for us. JMO

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

I agree with everything but the part of Woody. Darren was a safety that played like a LB. He'd knock a mofo out. Jones is finesse. Don't get me wrong, he's a willing tackler, but won't lay the Wood. Pun intended.

Calm down Woodysgirl.

Jones is going to be awesome. Going to be just fine. Just a little different. AND, largely due to NFL rules these days.

Great post though!

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
as for me I'm going to wait and see this getting all hyped up and then hopes dashed every season has finally gotten old I'm going to wait unitl they do something first.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Redball, I don't have a single problem with you as a fan...:)

Hope not..I got my opinions after 50 years of being a fan.

I have high hopes like everybody.

I think for all of us 2014 was a teaser after so much failure and we all got a little too cocky about what lay ahead.

Me included.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
I agree with the first two and hope for the third. I dont know anything about Benson, but I have high hopes for Irving. I was impressed with what I saw last year, Jones is Jones, hes just what he is, really good, I really like him and want him to become the best safety in football this year. I'll be cheering Benson on and hopes he becomes what the Cowboys brain trust thought he would when we signed him. Excited about all three and a few more.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Irving and Mayowa are as yet somewhat unproven talents, whereas Byron Jones has already shown considerable promise.

It would be terrific if all three turned out to be makers of impact plays in 2016 but of course, that remains to be duly proven.

There's no doubt, both Irving and Mayowa will be tested intensively during the upcoming training camp. Good luck to both.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Well..

Could not agree more. Need to trade or sign an impact player at DL and/or secondary. Wish Cowboys would pull trigger on trade for Wilkerson or another proven pass rusher. Time is now, not next season or 3 seasons from now. If either Mayowa or Irving (who I really like) prove to be studs, even better. But to count on guys with 2.5 sacks between them in 2015 as anything more than rotational players is delusional.