U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wed Mar 25, 2009, 02:54 PM ET Source: Hollywood Reporter

news_threestooges.jpg
(WireImage.com/Sony Pictures)

Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk.

MGM and the Farrelly brothers are finally slapping together their high-profile cast for "The Three Stooges," a comedy project the filmmakers have been developing for years. Sean Penn is set to play Larry, and Jim Carrey is in negotiations to play Curly. Benicio del Toro is a rumored possibility for the brothers' taciturn leader, Moe.

The studio is looking to start production in the fall for a 2010 release slot.

The project was originally set up at Columbia, which produced the 1930s Stooges shorts. C3 Entertainment Inc., which holds the licensing rights to the Stooges brand, then sold the feature rights to Warner Bros. in 2001 for the Farrellys to write and produce the movie. Eventually, Warner Bros. let the rights lapse and MGM's Mary Parent scooped them up along with the Farrellys' continuing participation.

Peter and Bobby Farrelly wrote the script, which Bobby has referenced as "Dumb, Dumber & Dumbest," and will produce with Bradley Thomas and Charlie Wessler. Earl and Robert Benjamin of C3 will executive produce.

The film is not a biopic but a fictional treatment that maintains the Stooges' gleeful slap schtick updated for a modern milieu.

Originally constructed as four separate shorts, the feature screenplay has since been streamlined into a single narrative. Included in the story line is an opening that shows the Stooges as kids in an orphanage, a device that will require some "Benjamin Button"-style visual trickery to place the adult actors' heads on child actors' bodies.

The Stooges maintain remarkably global brand recognition, and their shorts, films and cartoons are still broadcast in 30 countries. The Farrelly brothers' latest comedy "The Heartbreak Kid" grossed $124 million worldwide.
Penn is repped by CAA, Carrey by CAA and the Miller Co.

http://indiefilm.movies.yahoo.com/article-9-/

kristie

Reaction score
out of those three, jim carrey is the only one who i think is perfect for this movie. the other two i'm not sure about.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This has 'disaster' written all over it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The mrs. and I will pass because we don't go out to see many movies. But this is one will will walk right on by at the movie rental also.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Meh... looks like they are going for a more visual match than anything else.

Larry was the whiney biznitch - perfect for Sean Penn.

Moe and DelToro - just looks like they could match them up.

Jim Carrey is the only true comedic genius in there... and at that... capturing or reimagining Curly will be a impossible.

Once the 3 Stooges did a movie or did anything in color years later - it flat out stunk.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Reminds me of The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle. What a dog that one was.

the%20adventure%20of%20rocky%20and%20bullwinkle.jpg

RESIN8

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that they were making a Three Stooges movie.

McCarthy Worries About Gaining Stooges Weight

Jenny McCarthy fears boyfriend Jim Carrey's bid to become chubby Three Stooges character Curly will set her off on a doughnut diet.
The actress/model has confirmed Carrey is preparing to get "in shape" to play the larger-than-life Stooge, opposite Sean Penn and Benicio del Toro, and he has warned his toned girlfriend to be prepared to date a bigger Jim.
She says, "He said, 'You know, I'm going to have to gain 40 to 50 pounds for this role.'"
But McCarthy is thrilled: "I said, 'Oh my God! I get to be dating Curly! That is the greatest thing ever.'"
The actress is only worried that she might join Carrey on his binges.
She tells news show Access Hollywood, "I hope I don't have sympathy weight -- he's going to be eating doughnuts."

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2720697 said:
I don't know how Jim Carrey does it, McCartney is hawt

must be a call girl. he cant' act. he isn't funny.

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
RESIN8;2720687 said:
I wasn't aware that they were making a Three Stooges movie.

McCarthy Worries About Gaining Stooges Weight

Jenny McCarthy fears boyfriend Jim Carrey's bid to become chubby Three Stooges character Curly will set her off on a doughnut diet.
The actress/model has confirmed Carrey is preparing to get "in shape" to play the larger-than-life Stooge, opposite Sean Penn and Benicio del Toro, and he has warned his toned girlfriend to be prepared to date a bigger Jim.
She says, "He said, 'You know, I'm going to have to gain 40 to 50 pounds for this role.'"
But McCarthy is thrilled: "I said, 'Oh my God! I get to be dating Curly! That is the greatest thing ever.'"
The actress is only worried that she might join Carrey on his binges.
She tells news show Access Hollywood, "I hope I don't have sympathy weight -- he's going to be eating doughnuts."
:lmao2: This is insane!

burmafrd

Reaction score
There are some things that you do not try to replicate and the Three Stooges are at the top of the list.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
burmafrd;2720922 said:
There are some things that you do not try to replicate and the Three Stooges are at the top of the list.

:hammer:

Jim Carrey would probably make a better Shemp.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I can't remember liking a Jim Carey movie outside of the original Ace Ventura and Me, Myself and Irene. His shtick just grew old on me. But, as far as casting goes, he's about as spot on for Curly as you can get in this day and age.