Tie breaker question

Verdict

Reaction score
Suppose the Cowboys win out, and the Eagles lose to the 49ers and then the Cowboys. Cowboys and Eagles finish with identical records of 14 and 3. Who wins NFCE?

Mannix

Reaction score
Good question, but I wouldn't worry your pretty little head about it. Philly will get enough calls this weekend to all but lock up home field throughout.

Mookie

Reaction score
For the sake of this exercise, let's assume the oddsmakers get these three results right and both the Cowboys and the Eagles are 10-3 after Week 14. That would Dallas the leader of the NFC East and Philly a wildcard team.

The catch: If both teams win out after that (a big if considering Dallas' schedule is much tougher than Philly's), the division would go to Philly. How? The third step to break a tie within the division would enter play.

In this scenario, the Cowboys and the Eagles would split games head-to-head and both would be 5-1 within the NFC East. That would send us to the fourth tiebreaker within a division: Best won-lost-tied percentage in conference games.

The Eagles play the Arizona Cardinals in Week 17, a 2-10 squad that Dallas inexplicably lost to all the way back in Week 3. With a win against the Cardinals in the second to last week of the regular season, the Eagles could jump the Cowboys and reclaim the division since the latter fell to Arizona.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we will probably need to finish one game ahead of Philly.

I think they have a better common games wins as well as better conference record in that scenario.
Need to look it up. Which I won’t do until seeing if we win tonight and they lose Sunday.

We would have to beat Seattle Buffalo, and Miami and Washington again to keep those common games even.
we need to beat Seattle and Philly lose to Seattle to get that game differential to even back out or gain a game. As well they must lose to SF.

we beat Seattle, Philly, Buffalo
Philly also loses to SF, us, and Seattle.

If that does not happen. We probably lose the division unless Philly is upset by NYG pr Arizona.

Flamma

Reaction score
I believe record in common games is the tie breaker before conference records.
Would need to go through those games.
Right. They are 3-1 in the AFC East. The only way we pick up a game there is to beat both Miami and Buffalo. Philly got to play them at home, we have them as away games.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Suppose the Cowboys win out, and the Eagles lose to the 49ers and then the Cowboys. Cowboys and Eagles finish with identical records of 14 and 3. Who wins NFCE?
Cowboys is tiebreaker in the division

Flamma

Reaction score
we will probably need to finish one game ahead of Philly.

I think they have a better common games wins as well as better conference record in that scenario.
Need to look it up. Which I won’t do until seeing if we win tonight and they lose Sunday.

We would have to beat Seattle Buffalo, and Miami and Washington again to keep those common games even.
we need to beat Seattle and Philly lose to Seattle to get that game differential to even back out or gain a game. As well they must lose to SF.

we beat Seattle, Philly, Buffalo
Philly also loses to SF, us, and Seattle.

If that does not happen. We probably lose the division unless Philly is upset by NYG pr Arizona.
I think you're right that we'd have to end up with a better record. Because we would tie in common games. Then the Eagles have a better conference record.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think you're right that we'd have to end up with a better record. Because we would tie in common games. Then the Eagles have a better conference record.
It’s about the division first.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more teams in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two teams
1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the teams).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.