Time Magazine's 100 Greatest Films

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
the godfather is the best movie i have ever seen. when you consider acting, cinematography, screenplay, directing, casting, etc.

yep, it was a masterpiece.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
This is the first top 100 list I have ever seen without Gone With the Wind. This is a great day.

I hate that movie passionately.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
This is the first top 100 list I have ever seen without Gone With the Wind. This is a great day.

I hate that movie passionately.

I agree. I think it's a good movie but it's overrated. I can think of a lot of historical epics since then that I would rather watch. I think it has becomea timeless movie but not as much as Citizen Kane, The Wizard of Oz, Stagecoach, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and some of its contemporaries.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I agree. I think it's a good movie but it's overrated. I can think of a lot of historical epics since then that I would rather watch. I think it has becomea timeless movie but not as much as Citizen Kane, The Wizard of Oz, Stagecoach, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and some of its contemporaries.

I finally saw Citizen Kane for the first time about 5 months ago. The movie (as far as story), is average, but the actual directing, CINEMATOGRAPHY, acting, etc, are what make that movie greatness.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I finally saw Citizen Kane for the first time about 5 months ago. The movie (as far as story), is average, but the actual directing, CINEMATOGRAPHY, acting, etc, are what make that movie greatness.

It's one of those movies you watch and suddenly realize some current director you thought was a film genius is apparently stealing ideas from movies over 50 years ago. ;)

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
It's one of those movies you watch and suddenly realize some current director you thought was a film genius is apparently stealing ideas from movies over 50 years ago. ;)

You hit the nail on the head there... Welles was made fun of late in his life... but the movie itself was WAY ahead of it's time...

"Rosebud" is one of the great quotes in moviedom of it's time...

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
lanecity1975 said:
the godfather is the best movie i have ever seen. when you consider acting, cinematography, screenplay, directing, casting, etc.

I agree. :)

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:

This stuff is so subjective. Interestingly, I saw this movie for the first time, not too long ago.

I hated almost every minute of it.

And "Gone with the Wind" I have avoided like the plague.

Old movie that I think should have made the list....Inherit the Wind.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; GlenGarry Glen Ross; Rainman; The Sting; X; Butch Cassidy; The Candidate; Dog Day Afternoon; would all have gotten serious consideration from me. And "Cuckoo's Nest" would have been a definite.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Definitely subjective. I don't like that list at all.

Drunken Master II???

Miller's Crossing is a great show.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lanecity1975 said:

I liked the second godfather movie the best.....I just loved he part when it would go back to Vito as a young man played by Deniro.

Speaking of the Godfather, I was watching Godfather III and when they have flashbacks of a younger Pacino it is just astounding how different he looked...did not even look the same.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I liked the second godfather movie the best.....I just loved he part when it would go back to Vito as a young man played by Deniro.

Speaking of the Godfather, I was watching Godfather III and when they have flashbacks of a younger Pacino it is just astounding how different he looked...did not even look the same.
I was watching Part II one day and my wife passed by and asked who is he, talking about Deniro, he's handsome. I looked at her at said that's DeNiro. She said really????lol

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
I was watching Part II one day and my wife passed by and asked who is he, talking about Deniro, he's handsome. I looked at her at said that's DeNiro. She said really????lol

I know it is crazy.....I know people get older, but normally they just look older, he just looked completely different.

He just had the look of a shark in that movie, cold eyes.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:

There's a great clip of Deniro doing a screen test for the part of Sonny. He looks like a kid...which he was...but the energy coming off him is pretty amazing.

He does the "So, what are you gonna do college boy, gun down a police captain..." scene.

Good stuff.