Time to go back to the 4-3

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I for one am tired of getting blasted up the middle for huge run gains with the 3-4. The 3-4 is designed to pressure the QB with blitz schemes that are hard to tell where the blitz is coming from. The drawback is that there will be huge running lanes if we don't have a true NT to plug the middle. Right now, I think our personnel is better suited for the 4-3.

Ratliff and Tank/Spears should be the 4-3 DT's with Spencer and Canty/Ellis as DE's. Ware can still be an effective OLB in the 4-3 with Thomas/James playing the middle and Burnett playing outside. I think the transition would solve a lot of the problems we have stopping the run while still giving us a some-what decent pass rush.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
You still have to tackle in the 4-3.

That is the problem with this defense as well as the soft zones.

jimmy40

Reaction score
jdub2k4;2393693 said:
I for one am tired of getting blasted up the middle for huge run gains with the 3-4. The 3-4 is designed to pressure the QB with blitz schemes that are hard to tell where the blitz is coming from. The drawback is that there will be huge running lanes if we don't have a true NT to plug the middle. Right now, I think our personnel is better suited for the 4-3.

Ratliff and Tank/Spears should be the 4-3 DT's with Spencer and Canty/Ellis as DE's. Ware can still be an effective OLB in the 4-3 with Thomas/James playing the middle and Burnett playing outside. I think the transition would solve a lot of the problems we have stopping the run while still giving us a some-what decent pass rush.

Why does someone always start this stupid post after every game?

Reaction score
Personally I would prefer the 4-3... I think you put Ware and Spencer on the ends and go from there...

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
jimmy40;2393730 said:
Why does someone always start this stupid post after every game?
Obviously because they are not idiots and realize that the 3-4 isn't working while the 4-3 gives us a better chance at winning.

juck

Reaction score
jdub2k4;2393693 said:

Exactly.Thank You.I pray we go back.:pray:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
jdub2k4;2393813 said:
Obviously because they are not idiots and realize that the 3-4 isn't working while the 4-3 gives us a better chance at winning.
But they are clearly ignorant of the fact that you just can't switch schemes in the middle of the season, especially when your entire staff is 3-4 oriented.

A 4-3 doesn't mean that there won't be a 3 man pass rush and a dumpoff going for a first down on 3rd and 12:bang2:

jimmy40

Reaction score
jdub2k4;2393813 said:
Dude, I started the same thread a few minutes before you and was told the same thing. Sarcasm just doesn't work when you type it. You'd think I'd learn.

es22

Reaction score
You coach to your personnel strength. We have the personnel to play a 4-3, but Philips is a 3-4 coach. It is a bad marriage, and we cannot pressure the QB.

Hopefully Wade learns to bring pressure for the second half of the season or Jerry will see a wasted opportunity.