Time to swoop on Sam Adams?

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Adams waiting on the Browns
<Mar. 16> The Cleveland Browns reportedly have told Adams' agent they are waiting until after filling their need for a backup quarterback before turning their attention to bringing the veteran defensive tackle on board.
"They told me, 'Look, when we get a quarterback done, then we can get moving on that thing (signing Adams),' " agent Angelo Wright told the paer. "We won't visit. There won't be any need for that. Sam knows everybody there."
Adams, released by the Bills, played two seasons in Baltimore, where Browns GM Phil Savage worked before coming to Cleveland. Adams also has visited Miami.

This guy is nearing the end but he's still a good player. Obviously he's not getting a lot of play in FA so he could be had cheap. The funny thing is Cleveland has already signed fellow hotel Ted Washington- if they sign big Sam they could have the NFL's 2 largest and maybe oldest DT's. My concern is there's not a lot of great options at NT in the draft and we need a guy for depth and rotation with Fergy. Let's bring Sam in. For 30 snaps a game he'll be a nice addition. The price should be right. Cleveland got McGinest before we could offer him a deal. Let's return the favor.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DLCassidy said:
This guy is nearing the end but he's still a good player. Obviously he's not getting a lot of play in FA so he could be had cheap. The funny thing is Cleveland has already signed fellow hotel Ted Washington- if they sign big Sam they could have the NFL's 2 largest and maybe oldest DT's. My concern is there's not a lot of great options at NT in the draft and we need a guy for depth and rotation with Fergy. Let's bring Sam in. For 30 snaps a game he'll be a nice addition. The price should be right. Cleveland got McGinest before we could offer him a deal. Let's return the favor.

I question if we ever wanted McGinnest quite frankly-- especially as a starter.

Adams would be different. I like the thought of him possibly being Ferguson's back up.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

Adams would be different. I like the thought of him possibly being Ferguson's back up.

I think you're right. That's why BP let him go to Cleveland without putting up a fight. We weren't going to give a part time guy 12m over 3 years. But if McGinest had come here first BP still might have signed him at shorter money because of the relationship the 2 have.

Adams? He goes to Baltimore and the year after they win the SB. He goes to Oakland, and the same year they go to the SB. Goes to Buffalo, the Bills have a top 5 D. You can't move him. He still gets off the ball. He's a bit more of an upfield guy than you really prefer at NT, but again he has a lot to offer even now as a part time player. One of those under the radar moves that at the end of the year you say "yeah, nice move."

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki said:

Correct and correct.

Grim21Reaper

Reaction score
I like big Sam. He would be a good pickup and I am surprised that he is still out there.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Grim21Reaper said:
I like big Sam. He would be a good pickup and I am surprised that he is still out there.

Maybe Adams is just taking his time and wanting to find an ideal situation. Somewhere he can be a part time player and that has a chance of winning. Maybe he wants to come back to Texas. For a good price, I think he would be a good pick up.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Adams would represent a significant upgrade over Fergy in the running game. The problem is that he can't play many plays a game due to poor conditioning. If the contract is reasonable, he should be able to give us 20 or so snaps a game at NT.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
no way...sam adams is too tall for a NT....thomas will be our guy.

Wood

Reaction score
out Depth at DT/NT is frightening. If Fergy goes down ...we can pack it in...cause there is nobody behind him. I think a Dt that can rotate with Fergy is about 10 times more important that filling that other OLB considering we have Singelton and Thorton there. Forget Peterson or Arrington...sign a freakin plug for goodness sake.

Slyster

Benched
Reaction score
Sam Adams is not a run stuffer guys. He always wants to rush the passer and pouts when the coaches tell him to play the run.

The Bills run D was good because of Pat Williams ( notice how big of a drop they had this year without him ) . He was the DT that played the run while Sam just did whatever he wanted to.

Stay far away from Adams.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

Ferguson's back up??? with his size he may start over Ferguson if we got him... but if we got him it would have to be no longer than a two year deal and EXTREMELYheap