TNew

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Sorry, I had to post this:

Art (from Extremeskins) says the following:

"Springs is a better player on a better defense. Newman was absolutely shredded, routinely, two years ago. Last year he improved a great deal and went from a total bust to a fairly average to just above starter. Teams don't fear going at him. He's a little old for a guy entering his fourth season. He certainly seems to lack any real toughness we see from Springs out there as witnessed by our whipping of the Cowboys.

Newman is four years younger, so it is likely you'll see Springs start to break down before Newman does, but, even a broken Springs won't ever give up double digit touchdowns as Newman did just two years ago. There's really no comparision. The Cowboys have a better SET of corners because we don't currently have a No. 3 we're comfortable with.

Stats at corner are meaningless in that teams who fear a corner test him less, and therefore, he has lower numbers. Deion Sanders was among the game's ELITE players and teams avoided throwing at him because of it. Springs was tested two years ago, but, teams avoided him this year because he hurt them so much in 2004 and because Harris was an easier target."

Does anyone else have the feeling he would say the same exact thing concerning their skills if the two said players played reversed team roles. I found it quite humorous, but let it speak for itself.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
That is just Art...who cares? He is clueless as usual. He says Newman was shredded routinely...give me a break. Newman was never shredded; the only catches I can remember anyone making on him were crossing patterns where he had to stay on top of them and had no help underneath. I don't remember him getting beat deep at all last year. I remember him coming in late trying (and sometimes succeeding) to get to a receiver that had beaten Davis (or whomever) but he came off of his man after the ball was thrown to go after the other guy...it was never actually his man.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Full Name: Shawn Springs
Born: March 11, 1975 Silver Spring, MD

Height: 6-0
Weight: 200 lbs.
Pos: CB
Experience: 9 years
College: Ohio State

Full Name: Terence Newman
Born: September 4, 1978 Salina, KS

Height: 5-11
Weight: 190 lbs.
Pos: CB
Experience: 3 years
College: Kansas State
Drafted: Year:2003 Round:1 Pick:5, Cowboys

Shawn Springs is a good DB there must have been issue for a team to more or less give up on a talent like him. I followed a lot of his career and he always seemed to get hurt not injured but nicked. Their stats are very comparable at the same points in their career. Springs has been in the league a lot longer than Newman but i think new man decided to get his degree then come to the NFL when springs came out early. Remember springs was a CB before all the PI penalties went into effect and it is a lot easier for a player to adjust to a rule change after 5 or 6 years in the league then it is for a player still trying to learnt the NFL game and then having the rules changed on you.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
SultanOfSix said:
Sorry, I had to post this:

Art (from Extremeskins) says the following:

Problem numero uno.....you're taking Art's word for anything pertaining football.

Newman was absolutely shredded, routinely, two years ago.

Depends on how you define "routinely." He had a share of awful games that season, but the majority of the games he either shut down the receivers he faced or did a solid job.

Last year he improved a great deal and went from a total bust to a fairly average to just above starter.

If he was fairly average to "just above average" for a starter, than Shawn Springs was awful. And Carlos Rodgers was downright abysmal.

Teams don't fear going at him.

Not only did teams shy away from throwing his way, the Skins did as well last season.

He certainly seems to lack any real toughness we see from Springs out there as witnessed by our whipping of the Cowboys.

Yeah, he got turned around on a running play and was trampled by his own guy and hurt his back. He then went back into the game while being hurt and missed a tackle, which was his worst play all season long.

Newman is four years younger, so it is likely you'll see Springs start to break down before Newman does,

Gee, ya think?

but, even a broken Springs won't ever give up double digit touchdowns as Newman did just two years ago.

Nice try, Art.

According to Scientific Football, Newman gave up 8 TD's in 2004.

There's really no comparision.

Yes, unless Newman falls apart next season, he's the better CB. He was also the better CB last season as well.

The Cowboys have a better SET of corners because we don't currently have a No. 3 we're comfortable with.

That and Henry or Glenn is probably better than Carlos Rogers right now, not to mention Jacques Reeves as well.

Stats at corner are meaningless in that teams who fear a corner test him less, and therefore, he has lower numbers.Deion Sanders was among the game's ELITE players and teams avoided throwing at him because of it. Springs was tested two years ago, but, teams avoided him this year because he hurt them so much in 2004 and because Harris was an easier target."

Actually, according to Scientific Football for the 2004 season:

"If you look at his overall stats, you would think he was one of the best CBs in football. Springs ranked 4th in completion percentage, 6th in yards allowed, and 1st in yards per attempt. He also ranked 3rd in ddep completion percentage while facing 22 deep passes.

All of those numbers are terrific but they also do a very good job of camouflaging the fact that Springs was the biggest beneficiary of the Commanders missed passes last year. He ranked 77th in missed passes and 80th in missed pass yards.

I've broken down 23 of Springs' games over the past two years and I still haven't seen much to tell me that he is one of the better CBs in football. They say luck is when preperation meets opportunity but in Srpings case last year (2004), luck was more when the ball didn't mee the receiver."-
KC Joyner

Neither Henry nor Aaron Glenn were an easy target last season and teams threw far far more at those two than they did Newman.

Rich.........

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Terence Newman, the second half of the season, was as close to a shutdown corner as you can get these days.

aznhalf

Reaction score
Rich I'm over there in that thread as well. It's almost laughable, but what do you expect.

No matter what sort of facts you throw at them they'll still be the same way. Its the same as all fans, nothing you can do.l

BringOnTO

Reaction score
Well for Springs and Rodgers being so awful last year, we sure made out okay. I mean hell, you guys put up a whopping two touchdown in games, whew that's a lot. But I'm sure now that TO is a cowboy, you guys will be able to rip apart our obviously paper thin defense right?

Gfunk

Reaction score
Springs is one of the few elite CBs in the league, don't be mad

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Gfunk said:

Stop taking drugs now before you make yourself look anymore foolish

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
Gfunk said:

ummm......

Top 5 or 6....naaaaaaa

Somewhere from 8-14 absolutely.......

Just because you can run though doesn't make you a good CB......I like SP because I see him run with T.O. then turn around and tackle the Fullback........

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
BringOnTO said:
Well for Springs and Rodgers being so awful last year, we sure made out okay. I mean hell, you guys put up a whopping two touchdown in games, whew that's a lot. But I'm sure now that TO is a cowboy, you guys will be able to rip apart our obviously paper thin defense right?

You got that right, Nancy.

I like SP because I see him run with T.O.

Remember the Sharpie incident?

Do you know who got beat for that TD?

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
Rack said:
You got that right, Nancy.

Remember the Sharpie incident?

Do you know who got beat for that TD?

yeah....that was YEARS ago .....Both players on Different teams......

Did you see how well Williams took T.O. out of the game?......Simply amazing......I gotta respect him as a fellow coach....The day I become a D.C. I am going to get a film study on Greg Williams......it's crazy because his stuff changes every week......

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:
yeah....that was YEARS ago .....Both players on Different teams......

Did you see how well Williams took T.O. out of the game?......Simply amazing......I gotta respect him as a fellow coach....The day I become a D.C. I am going to get a film study on Greg Williams......it's crazy because his stuff changes every week......

Did you notice while he took TO out of the game (still got a TD) He allowed Pinkston to get over 200 yards in 2 games in 2004? Glenn > Pinkston

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
BringOnTO said:
Kinda of hard for Glenn and TO to get the ball when Bledsoe is on his back.

what an intelligent responce that failed to address anything at all. 3 posts huh LMAO trolls springing up all over lately

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
BringOnTO said:
Kinda of hard for Glenn and TO to get the ball when Bledsoe is on his back.

Your DL won't have the luxury of facing the "Dynamic Duo" of Torrin Tucker and Rob Petitti again next year.

Sorry, but there isn't a defensive player on your roster that can consistenly beat Flozell Adams to the QB (as evidenced by your DL's performance in the first game. He was already on IR for the 2nd game).

As long as the cowboys don't have to help BOTH sides, they'll be ok vs the Commanders' DL, where their best pass rusher is a DT.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:

Just read the first couple of posts...

Art (since you aren't a member here, this won't count as critizing or flaming a cowboyszone member), you are a freakin' moron. You say you "won" the debate based on your misguided opinions? You are as dumb as you are fat. And from what I hear, that's pretty freakin' dumb, Fatboy.

Kingbrice, you're nothing but a cheerleader.

DonMagicJuan, you're the freakin' head cheerleader. It's disturbing how much you kissed art's behind just in that one post.

And the reason this thread was started here, Art, is cuz you're sorry butt would close the thread if it were started over there. Speaking of "the truth hurts"...

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Gfunk said:
And yet he isn't in Newmans league in terms of coverage stats.