*Tonight on National Geographic Channel* Dogtown: Saving the Michael Vick Dogs

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Lucky Dogs: National Geographic Rescues Michael Vick's Pit Bulls

Old dogs can learn new tricks, even the ones trained to be killing machines by Michael Vick and his cohorts. National Geographic's Dogtown: Saving the Michael Vick Dogs (tonight at 9 pm/ET)— a two-hour special edition of the Dogtown series — looks at the miraculous techniques being used by the Best Friends Animal Society in Utah to rehabilitate pit bulls rescued from the NFL superstar's dogfighting compound. The program is sure to bring tears — mostly happy ones. "Despite the horrors they've experienced, these dogs have made astounding progress, proof that every dog deserves a second chance," says Dogtown producer Darcy Dennett. "Best Friends has rehabilitated thousands of animals, but even they're surprised by their success with the Vick dogs."
In April 2007, police raided the Atlanta Falcons quarterback's illegal operation on his property in Smithfield, Virginia, and found dozens of severely abused and traumatized pit bulls. The bust revealed other horrors, including mass graves of dogs that had been shot, drowned, hanged or electrocuted. (Vick is currently serving a 23-month sentence in federal prison for his crimes.)
Both PETA and the Humane Society said the surviving dogs should be euthanized, but the court, in a show of heart, sent them to rescue groups instead. The 22 toughest cases went to Best Friends, and the special focuses on four of them: Denzel, a black and white male, nearly died from a tick-borne parasite common to fighting dogs. He's now healthy, excelling at obedience training and a great candidate for adoption.
Cherry, a black male, was likely used as bait to train other dogs in aggression. "He was so terrified he'd collapse into a heap and we had to carry him everywhere," says his trainer, Michelle Besmehn. Now Cherry plays with other dogs and seeks human attention.
Meryl, a brown and white female, was so aggressive the court ordered her to live out her life at Best Friends, so adoption isn't an option. But she's gained confidence and self control and excels at agility training. And, notes Besmehn, "she will always have a soft, warm bed with us."
Georgia, a brown and white female, is the show's greatest tragedy and greatest success. Found with a damaged jaw, broken tail and puncture wounds everywhere, she was believed to be one of Vick's top fighters and was constantly forced to mate. "All of Georgia's teeth were surgically removed to keep her from fighting back as she was repeatedly raped," says the lead trainer on this case, John Garcia. "The cruelty was unspeakable, but time, patience and a lot of love have turned Georgia into a big, sweet, slobbery cupcake."
Best Friends fights the good fight "not only for these particular dogs but for the entire breed," Garcia says. "Despite their bad rap, pit bulls are not hardwired to be aggressive. They are, by nature, loving." So loving that they want to give us humans a second chance.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
I think Bob Saclessmano started a thread about this a week ago, and said it was pretty entertaining. I wasn't interested until is saw a preview for it last night. It looks pretty good.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
tomson75;2237880 said:
I think Bob Saclessmano started a thread about this a week ago, and said it was pretty entertaining. I wasn't interested until is saw a preview for it last night. It looks pretty good.

He did, I saw that one too, but that was an Animal Planet show. This one's a different spin on it.

Brandon

Benched
Reaction score
I don't think I could watch this without getting heart broken, I love dogs, the end result will be great, but I don't want to watch the beginning.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;2237919 said:
He did, I saw that one too, but that was an Animal Planet show. This one's a different spin on it.

Hmm...then I guess the preview I saw is for this one. Looks interesting regardless.

Dayuum! It's two hours long. I'm going to have to record it on the DVR. I'll be watching the Navy game.

DMOB

Reaction score
Man I hate Vick and his thugs so much. I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DMOB;2238161 said:
Man I hate Vick and his thugs so much. I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Pretty much how I feel about the guy.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
DMOB;2238161 said:

I'd still piss on him....but I have a weak bladder. It'd just be delaying the inevitable. :D

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
I meant to watch this, but I was out getting wasted at my local watering hole. Hope to catch the rerun soon, it seems like those dogs got a helluva home to call their own, should be interesting to watch their transformation from killers to ordinary doggies.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
I watched this last night. What a fantastic show!

There was very little about Vick himself, and nothing terribly graphic aside from some short fight footage.

The story of those dog's journey is amazing, and obviously a work in progress. That being said, the transformation of these dogs so far is truly spectacular, and these people at Dog Town are really doing some special work.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Faerluna;2239720 said:
I watched this last night. What a fantastic show!

There was very little about Vick himself, and nothing terribly graphic aside from some short fight footage.

The story of those dog's journey is amazing, and obviously a work in progress. That being said, the transformation of these dogs so far is truly spectacular, and these people at Dog Town are really doing some special work.

Good. Sounds like something I want to watch, but I will admit I was a sucker from the commercials. They talk about how no one wanted the dogs and they cut to dogtown and they say that the dogs are just getting a chance to act like dogs, looks like a great show for us dog lovers.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;2239735 said:
Good. Sounds like something I want to watch, but I will admit I was a sucker from the commercials. They talk about how no one wanted the dogs and they cut to dogtown and they say that the dogs are just getting a chance to act like dogs, looks like a great show for us dog lovers.

Props for rocking that Julian Bashir av!