Tony Romo back-up should Troy Smith?

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
No thanks.

I'd rather have a vet.

Otherwise it could be the blind leading the blind.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Only if we have Michigan on the schedue every year. Then I'd say have him just for that game for the guarenteed win.:laugh1:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The ideal situation is to have Tony Romo as the starter, a journeyman vet as the backup and a young developmental players as your third stringer. With that third stringer you want someone who is not going to cost you a day one pick.

I don't see how Troy Smith fits into any of those situations unless he falls to the second day.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Tony Romo back-up should Troy Smith?

Huh?

Are you asking if Troy Smith should be Tony Romo's backup?

Hell no.

The part you get right is that Troy Smith will be a backup. But I wouldn't waste the pick on him for Romo's back-up.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
As you can see by my sig pic, I love Romo, but I would like to bring in someone who could compete with him for the starting job. They would push each other throughout QB schools, pre-season, etc to see who is the starter.

Don't know who that would be, but then whoever wins the job, the other is the backup.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan;1345741 said:
Fans what are your thoughts?
I think that for a change it would be nice if you put some substance in your threads instead of one line, no stance taken questions.

Take a stance, make an argument for or against the topic, and post that. These one line "thoughts" are about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Just because a thought pops into your head doesn't mean it will be a good topic.

aceware94

Reaction score
Troy Smith is not as bad as everyone says he is. And he's not too short, he throws over Ohio State's OL w/ no problem and there bigger than most pro teams. If Vince Young can come into this league and excel like he did Troy Smith certainlly can, he just has to find the right system. He hadn't played a game in 7 weeks before that bowl game, I'm sure he was a bit rusty plus he was going up against the #2 team in the nation that had almost 2 months to prepare. Now he's not god, he does have some flaws, but IMO he may be a decent pro. But I don't think he will end up in Dallas as long Jerry Jones is running things, because of how his last mobil QB and how that ended up. I think we will draft one but in the 3-5 round area, strictly as a project and he'll bring in a vet to back up Romo.

Urinal Mint

Reaction score
Vince Young is a winner. Troy Smith looked like a lost little lamb in the company of wolves in his shot at the national title.

aceware94;1346003 said:
Troy Smith is not as bad as everyone says he is. And he's not too short, he throws over Ohio State's OL w/ no problem and there bigger than most pro teams. If Vince Young can come into this league and excel like he did Troy Smith certainlly can, he just has to find the right system. He hadn't played a game in 7 weeks before that bowl game, I'm sure he was a bit rusty plus he was going up against the #2 team in the nation that had almost 2 months to prepare. Now he's not god, he does have some flaws, but IMO he may be a decent pro. But I don't think he will end up in Dallas as long Jerry Jones is running things, because of how his last mobil QB and how that ended up. I think we will draft one but in the 3-5 round area, strictly as a project and he'll bring in a vet to back up Romo.

rangers71

Reaction score
To even compare Troy Smith to Vince YOung is a joke. He doesn't have the same size, speed or arm as Young. There is no comparision. What a joke.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
aceware94;1346003 said:

Smith flat out sucked in the senior bowl against no blitzing and vanilla coverages. I will pass.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Vince beat Troy Smith, Vince won a National Championship by beating the vaunted USC in their own backyard basically.

Smith got rolled in BCS title game.

Vince is far and away a better QB than Smith.......FAR AND AWAY..

BTW...........TIM RATTAY = ROMO's BACKUP

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
aceware94;1346003 said:

But certainly, not everyone is VY!?!?!!

Didnt OSU have that long to prepare also? OSU was unbeaten, #1 ranked all year, shoulda put up a better fight than what it turned out to be.

But to answer your question, NO, emphatically, IMO, Smith is not going to be a franchise QB, now i agree that NFL teams need mobile QBs but name a scrambling QB that has won a SB in the last 10-15 years....

DaBoyz73

Reaction score
jackrussell;1345769 said:
Only if we have Michigan on the schedue every year. Then I'd say have him just for that game for the guarenteed win.:laugh1:

Beating Michigan is "NOT" every year is not a promise!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt;1345924 said:
I don't see how Troy Smith fits into any of those situations unless he falls to the second day.
That may not be as far fetched as many think.