Tony Romo

cowboys19

Reaction score
I was bored and decided to watch every single one of his throws from this season today, and after watching this i came away with the following impressions.

1) He has tremendous footwork

2) He has a great 5 step-drop

3) He has very good pocket presence

4) Has a very quick release

5) He has a understanding of where to go with the ball. He looks off his primary target for the sole purpose of getting the WR more seperation. He does this ALOT, and is very good at it. Can turn his whole body 45% with one step.(Again great footwork)

6) He throws the ball at different angles depending on if there is any obstruction in front of him. He can throw it side arm, over the top, and 3/4 which is his usual motion.

7) When forced to step up in the pocket, he hardly ever set's his feet again, and throws off balance. usually he got away with it, but he isn't as consistent throwing the ball like that. What happens is he steps up, but instead of stopping and setting his feet again(Like Tom Brady) he keeps moving forward while throwing. Something i think he needs to work on.

8) Is remarkably good rolling to his right side. he made a ton of plays this year rolling to his right and finding the open receiver.

9) Is not quite as good rolling to his left, BUT isn't that bad either, he does a good job of planting his feet while rolling to his left, and can make accurate throws. Also on occasion while moving to his left does throw the ball. Not nearly as fundemental, but he got away with it nonetheless.

10) Is more quick than fast. Not that fast, but extremely quick for a QB. has decent agility also.

11) The ability to create. As we all know his ability to create seperates him from almost every other QB in the NFL IMO. It's a skill we don't want to take away from him, because its a special trait.

12) Goes through his progressions quite fast.

13) As Bill Parcells said, he holds the ball with one hand too much. When he does his 5 step-drop, and when he has a good pocket he will usually hold on to the ball with 2 hands, but it's when he tries to make something out of a busted play is when he starts to use one hand. Again i dont think we should take away this gift, but maybe somehow we can harness it a little bit for certain situations only. No idea if this is even possible tho.

14) When under duress he sometimes will just sling the ball out there ala Grossman, although he seems to be more accurate when slinging the ball then Rex.

15) His ability to make a throw when we need it at crucial times is what i believe to be his best attribute. He was 2nd in the NFL in 3rd down conversions if im not mistaken. Even when he was struggling a bit, he still showed that ability. ex: Playoff game vs. Seattle. Was 3rd and 2 right before the half, he throws a perfect ball to TO, unfortunately he drops it. Then on 4th and 2 he scans the field, and places the ball right between Witten's # for a huge gain.

16) He also showed me he is a tough player. he was hit hard numerous times, yet always got up. I dont think he ever laid on the ground for any length of time because of injury. Correct me if im wrong. That run vs. Lions he came up one yard short, but sacraficed his body to try and get the tie. Another good quality.

17) He is a GREAT 2 minute drill QB. Hardly made any mistakes throwing the ball.

Overall i was very pleased with his performance.

here is what i think he should work on for him to take that next step. Becoming a elite QB, and being metioned with the Elite.

Keep on studying, and get to know the defenses. He needs to take a little less chances when we are still in the ball game, and not try to do everything on his own. He needs to keep 2 hands on the ball at all costs, i know when he tries to make plays, sometimes he has a tendancy to use one. Thats ok as long as he keeps it to a minimum. He needs to set his feet more when he throws, which will lead to more accurate throws. Since he is already a 65% passer, he should become a 67%+ with setting his feet more IMO. Work on his deep passes with TO, Glenn, and the other guys. he isnt as strong at that aspect of the game, as other QB's.

thats my thought's on him this season.

You all know im a Romo-Sapien, and really like him, but i tried to watch his throws today without and homerism.

hope you read this, and add comments if you want.

peace

Papichulo

Reaction score
that was a very informative post. thanks for adding quality and insight that doesn't have to come from an expert. I'm excited about Tony romo, but does anyone have any idea how much he is going to cost? You can only wonder how much money he lost himself by that fumble....

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said..but I would like him to check down to the RB's a little faster...he seemed to start reading slower and slower as the year worn on

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Zaxor;1326050 said:
I agree with everything you said..but I would like him to check down to the RB's a little faster...he seemed to start reading slower and slower as the year worn on

I agree this was the case.

However, I think the opposition added new wrinkles each week to get him off balance.

Nothing experience shouldn't takecare of.

CowboyBlog

Reaction score
sounds like a hall of famer. Reading all that, you would never know how horrible he looked at times.

I cant imagine someone playing that well would get booed at Texas Stadium.

In all seriousness, towards the end of the season, he was terribly inaccurate on a bunch of throws and had a ton of underthrows when he tried to go deep. Also, about 4 out of 5 of the fade routes were thrown 4 rows out of bounds. What was he doing wrong on these throws?

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
jackrussell;1326051 said:
I agree this was the case.

However, I think the opposition added new wrinkles each week to get him off balance.

Nothing experience shouldn't takecare of.

right again Jack:)... I am pretty sure that is what they were doing and the experience will be a help come next year

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Cbz40;1326078 said:
Throwing off his back foot........

I agree --hurrying his throws and not setting his feet----besides some people
seemed to forget that he played a far better then most rookies --and
he was a rookie----playing time will only make him better and more consistent

Wrangler87

Reaction score
I know everyone wants him to hold the ball with two hands, but he seemed to play so much better early on when he would pump fake the ball as many as three times before throwing. If you watch the film, he basically lived off of pump faking early on, especially in the Tampa game. Then, he fumbled once or twice, and he was told to hold the ball more securily. From that point forward, the pump faking disappeared, and his game seemed to suffer some (still not bad).

I don't think it was the pump fakes themselves that did the trick, but I do believe they created a comfort zone or maybe a rythm for his passing.

To the original poster, did you notice in your review that he stopped pump faking as much, at about the same time that his game declined a bit?

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
He'll be alot better when we fix the Offensive line and give him more time and a better Running game.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Great post!

One thing I love about Romo is that when he rolls to the left, he does a great job of being very disciplined in snapping his shoulders to the right so that he's not throwing with just his arm. You could really see it (IIRC) in the clutch pass to Witten to win the Giants game.

I haven't watched it as closely as you have so I may be wrong, but I feel that Romo's mechanics on things like that slipped a little at the end of the season. That might be why his accuracy got worse. I suspect he either had his mind on other things and let the fundamentals slip, like can happen to anyone, or he started getting beat up, which he hadn't felt since college.

DipChit

Reaction score
Well all I know is we definitely need to get more polished on offense and it includes him as much as anyone.

I dont really care how many points we scored throughout the season.

We really struggled with that down the stretch in games that mattered most.