Top 5 Mentally Tough & Disciplined Teams On Schedule

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Which teams on your schedule (excempting your own) do you respect the most in terms of attitude, coaching, and a "never say die" kind of attitude? I'll rank the teams we will face this season as I see them...not necessarily in terms of talent, but more in terms of coaching and overall team attitude.

1. Dallas Cowboys: Have traditionally stepped it up against the Commanders in traditional rivalry games, even in recent years (before Gibbs and Parcells) when both teams were otherwise horrible. Parcells is a master motivator and they have a young speedy defense whom will make us pay dearly for any slipups (Williams, Newman, Ware etc). Parcells/Zimmer 3-4 defense vs Saunders/Gibbs offense will be the ultimate chess match as the young 3-4 of Dallas emerges into one of the leagues premier and hard-nosed units.

2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: We seem to play them every year, and each game we play them seems to be physical, hard hitting, and come down to 1-2 plays at the end. The Tampa 2 is a mean, no-joke defense, and their linebackers can cover like DBs. They never give up, or back down. They have some mean, physical sons of *****es on that team. Jon Gruden comes across as a smug arrogant *******, but he knows what he's doing and that offense is going to be better this year with Cadillac and Simms emerging, and with that defense they don't have to score that much to win.

3. Philadelphia Eagles: During the 2001-2004 years, they would know how to close out games masterfully. I expect that to return this year. They have one of the hardest-hitting secondaries in football and a likely future HOF coach in Andy Reid (if they ever get a Lombardi trophy).

4. Carolina Panthers: Its been a long time since we've played them in any game of consequence. Their DL and LBs are no joke though, and any team that shuts out the Giants at the Meadowlands should be respected. They deal with adversity well, coming off an injury filled early 2004 season to finish that year on a tear. Have played in 2 of the last 3 NFC Championship games, they know how to get it done when it counts. It seemed like John Fox totally outcoached Tom Coughlin in the playoffs last year.

5. New York Giants: Always seem to start out the season strong, but have faltered in December/January recently. Are very tough and play with a different type of meanness while at the Meadowlands. I don't see a real swagger to their defense yet though, even though they probably have the best pair of DEs in the NFL.

Next rung of opponents: Jacksonville (they win ugly but they know how to win), and Indy (defense also stepped up last year, but the bad game against Pittsburgh did them in).

Weak: Texans, Titans, Saints (though they are emerging IMO), Vikings, Falcons (should be doing alot more with all the talent they have, collapsed at the end of the season last year), Rams

ravidubey

Reaction score
Off the top of my head...

Tier 1
Carolina, New England, and Philly always play well because of their mature and well-established coaching staffs. These teams represent the standard. Pittsburgh has been very consistent for years. With Rothlisburger maturing I expect them to be a good team for years to come. Denver is up here too; it will be interesting to see without Kubiak.

Tier 2
Seattle was well-coached last year, but after losing some key free agents their offense may be too adversely affected for them to remain a consistent team. Dallas and Washington have yet to settle down IMO both because of their HOF coaches respective adjustments to coaching again and because their core rosters and coaching staffs have yet to settle. Nick Saban really impressed me last year.

Tier 3
Coughlin is starting something good in New York, but Eli is too erratic for me to consider the Giants a consistent team. I rank Lovie Smith's Chicago team right here too.

Tier 4
Tennessee had been solid under Jeff Fischer for a long time. They'll be back in a year or two, but not this year so they drop a few spots. Baltimore plays well but mainly because its defense forces consistent play. Cincinnati is getting there, but not quite.

The Worst:

- Houston. Just awful; maybe Kubiak changes things.
- St Louis. Hot or cold because they rely so much on passing the ball.
- San Francisco. Organizational disarray.
- Green Bay. Sherman had them going well until the talent wheels fell off.
- Arizona. What's going on over there?
- Detroit. Pitiful.

gbrittain

Reaction score
I will go with in order:

1. Commanders - No matter what, I expect a tough game against the
Commanders.

2. Eagles/Giants - Too close to call IMO. Again, another division rival but a step lower than the Commanders/Cowboy rivalry when it comes to gameday intensity.

3. Bucaneers - They are a scrappy team. Not the best team, but they are will give you a good fight no matter what.

4. Colts - On paper they are the best team Dallas will face next year. They are the best, but not the most intimidating. Of course if they put a 50 spot on us I reserve the right to change my mind.:p:

5. Panthers - Another good team with solid coaching. They will be better offensively this year than they were last year with the additions of Key and DeAngelo Williams.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
The Cowboys have won 63% of the games against the Commanders, including 15 out of the last 18, so I can see why they might view us as a challenge.

gbrittain

Reaction score
cobra said:
The Cowboys have won 63% of the games against the Commanders, including 15 out of the last 18, so I can see why they might view us as a challenge.

I love that 15 out of 18 number as well, but unfortunately they have won 2 out of the last 2.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
A Compliment from Riggo!. I'm Impressed!. My answer would be Eagles (I've seen them come back from the Dead to many times), Panthers and Commanders.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
cobra said:

Many of those games we'd beat ourselves with piss poor coaching and lack of heart/desire.

Thoughts of Dallas coming back from a 35-14 deficit to win with a bomb to Rocket Ismail, and remembering Ebenezer Ekuban drag Jeff George across the turf and our team do absolutely nothing to get in his face about it...still gall me. It was like a curse, a nightmare every time the two teams played since 1998. It took something as dramatic as Joe Gibbs returning to bring back a sense of pride and purpose here.

2much2soon

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Many of those games we'd beat ourselves with piss poor coaching and lack of heart/desire.

That may be one of the biggest understatements I have ever seen, considering those Cowboy teams were coached by Chan Gailey and Dave Campo for many of the games you refer to.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
gbrittain said:
I will go with in order:

1. Commanders - No matter what, I expect a tough game against the
Commanders.

2. Eagles/Giants - Too close to call IMO. Again, another division rival but a step lower than the Commanders/Cowboy rivalry when it comes to gameday intensity.

3. Bucaneers - They are a scrappy team. Not the best team, but they are will give you a good fight no matter what.

4. Colts - On paper they are the best team Dallas will face next year. They are the best, but not the most intimidating. Of course if they put a 50 spot on us I reserve the right to change my mind.:p:

5. Panthers - Another good team with solid coaching. They will be better offensively this year than they were last year with the additions of Key and DeAngelo Williams.
I agree with everything except I would flip the Colts and Buccaneers

AtlCB

Reaction score
1. N.Y. Giants - This team has gone from a bunch of sloppy whiners to a disciplined hard-hitting team under Coughlin. We had two hard fought games against the Giants last year.

2. Washington - Gibbs has really turned the squad around and has put a little life into the rivalry. I was beginning to pity the Commanders.

3. Carolina - One of the toughest teams out there. They always seem to fight through injuries and come out with some impressive wins.

4. Philadelphia - I respect the defense more that than the offense. The defense is one of the hardest hitting out there.

5. Jacksonville - This team plays above their talent level. Most teams hate playing this team.

Honorable mention - Tennessee. The Titans have some of the worst talent in the league, but still always manage to stay out of the cellar.

Worst teams - Houston (you think our OL situation is bad), Detroit (only SF has a worse front office), Arizona (they always find a way to fail)

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure to say that Dallas is "mentally tough" as a team. While I like the job Parcells has done, in his tenure the team has struggled in the second half of each season. A lot of it has to due with injuries and not being able to make the proper adjustments to them, but I've got think that the mental toughness of the team is not up to snuff just yet.

Rich........

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I wouldn't be so sure to say that Dallas is "mentally tough" as a team. While I like the job Parcells has done, in his tenure the team has struggled in the second half of each season. A lot of it has to due with injuries and not being able to make the proper adjustments to them, but I've got think that the mental toughness of the team is not up to snuff just yet.

Rich........

I see where you're coming from, but we were as good in the 2nd half of the season last year as we have ever been in a LONG time, I think it was more of lacking playmakers on O, the Oline a shambles, being in the 3-4 for the 1st time and not having all the right personnel for it

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
1.Carolina
2.Titans
3.Commanders

Titans for me have lost plenty of talent but they have a great coaching staff and always fight and compete..
After last season I think mentally tough is not the Eagles, If one guy can split the locker room that much and as a group can not settle the T.O. thing I have a hard time considering them anything but glass tough