Top 5 Players who NEED to have a breakthrough season?

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Ok so it's a sunday night and i'm bored...who are your top five Cowboys who need to have a successful season or their future on this team could be in question for next year?

1. Julius Jones- Ok we all know the "three-year rule," and I genuinely want to see Julius succeed but it's put up or shutup for him to see if he can stay healthy and be productive at the same time...we've seen the short bursts of what he can do when at the top of his game (Carolina game last year), but needs to be consistent. If Julius has a mediocre year once again or fails to play a full season, RB could be a need in next year's draft.

06' Projections: 275 carries, 1260 yds, 13 TD's

2. How bout Drew Bledsoe?- Ok he was putting up Pro Bowl numbers before Flozell went down Week 6 against the Giants, but I feel Drew needs to prove something every year simply because of his age and possible decline of play. He's shown flashes in the preseason...in the preseason however. It's a different story when the season begins but he has all the weapons in place to have a career year. I'll tell you one thing, I feel a lot better about our QB situation now because of Romo. And trust me, Romo wants his chance.

06' Projections: 272 for 416 for 3750 yds, 28 TD's and 14 INT's

3. Is it possible that an offensive lineman in the "Campo Era" could turn out to be successful in Andre Gurode?- Just when we thought big Andre the Giant was on his way out of Dallas last year...he found himself starting against the Carolina Panthers last season, and had a career day. As a result, Julius had his second-highest rushing total of his career and the Cowboys beat a good team that day. A lot of us felt optimistic when Dallas signed Gurode to a one year deal earlier this offseason. However with a very strong training camp, Andre finds himself a starter once again. If Andre has a good year, he gets signed to a multi-year deal, and if he doesn't succeed, you can bet we'll be drafting an offensive lineman in the first three rounds of the draft next year. And no offense to Big Bill, but that ISN'Ta good thing.

4. Patrick Crayton needs to come up big- Sam Hurd and Jamaica Rector are waiting in the wings for their opportunity to jump up the depth chart at WR. We've seen brilliance from Hurd and especially Rector in the preseason, and Crayton has yet to stay healthy the past couple of seasons. Crayton, when healthy, is a dangerous threat from anywhere on the field. He showed how important he was to our offense when we lost him for numerous weeks in 05'. In the NFL, some players just cannot stay healthy. Crayton needs to prove he does not fall into that category.

06' Projections: 48 receptions, 550 yards and 5 TD's

5. Isn't it sad that Mike Vanderjagt already makes this list?- I'm pretty sure every Cowboy fan can say they are concerned about the "idiot kicker." Because of the type of offense Parcells likes to run, many games could be dictated by Vanderjagt. He needs to get his confidence back and be successful this year, or he could already be on his way out of Big D. I know we invested a good amount of money in Mike, but he's really gotten off the wrong foot with his teammates and the Cowboys' fans as well. It's put up or shutup for Vandy

06' Projections: 33 for 36 FG's, 48 for 48 EP's

So there are my five players "on the bubble." Who are yours? :starspin

Galian Beast

Reaction score
julius was about 3 yards short of 1000 yards last year, and thats after missing what? 4 games, not to mention being rushed back on the field with a high ankle sprain...

bledsoe had a career year last year...

when vanderjagt starts missing kicks when it matters... then you can put him on this list...

I would say:

5 players who need a breakthrough season to continue playing for the team:
Greg Ellis
Bradie James
Keith Davis
Marco Rivera
Andre Gurode

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
i don't think jj will reach 13 tds. i think crayton will have more then 550 yards tho

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Julius needs to stay healthy all season. He's the obvious #1 on this list.

Drew needs to finish the season as strong as he started last year... I think a lot of this will depend on the health and stability of our line. If he plays up to his potential for a full 16 games (or even 14 or 15) our offense will be special and he will have an all-pro year.

SOMEONE needs to step up as Free Safety... Davis, Watkins, I don't care who.

Roy doesn't "need" to do anything as far as I'm concerned, but it would be nice to see him shed his "poor in coverage" rep by not getting beat in any high profile situations... to shut up the Skins fans if for no other reason!

Lastly, not only do I hope Flo is healthy this year, I hope he plays with better focus. I find him to be one of the most frustrating players on the team because when he's focused, he's amazing... but when he loses his focus, he can be absolutely maddening!