CFZ Touching Upon Dallas Past

CCBoy

Reaction score
When Clint Murchison Jr. first purchased the Dallas Cowboys, and as a way for the old NFL ownership to dominate in a newly opened up Dallas City, he chose Tom Landry to be his head coach.

Tom Landry had been a player for a winning New York Giant team. He was a good player in the secondary and respected enough to be made a player/coach. He was made a defensive coach, along with the offensive coach Vince Lombardi.

Lombardi was made head coach for Green Bay, while Landry was made head coach for the Cowboys. Landry was a complex analyzer while Lombardi was much more basic and simpler in style.

His first season as head coach, the team only achieved a single tie and no wins. The team did not have a winning season in the first 6 seasons of the team. This hurt Landry deeply and brought him to tears before his players. He apologized to his players, for not having lead them better.

That became the turning point for the Cowboys. Murchison then gave Landry a vote of confidence and gave him a confidence contract for an extended period.

The team made it to a couple NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl, without wins. The label of not being able to win with all on the line, started to stick until the team won their first Super Bowl.

After Roger Staubach was made starting quarterback, in season, 1971, the Cowboys won their first Lombardi.

The Cowboys are the only NFL team to record 20 straight winning seasons (1966–85), in which they missed the playoffs only twice (1974 and 1984).

Tom Landry took charge of both the offense and defensive sides of the ball. His team was earmarked by complex systems and demanding very high levels of team oriented executions. His defense was noted by offset 4-3. The two interior tackles were off set from the line of scrimmage and made it very difficult to run on the defense, while this defense ran it's course.

The offense had multiple movements, highlighted by pre snap up and down line shift. This had to be picked up with backfield changes at the snap. Plays exploited many variations with gadget and multiple movements of who contacted the ball during multiple player exchanges.

The reason that these concepts were not repeated by other teams was that then, very few were even able to teach and explain the intricacies.

Continually, system over leadership became the burden.

Tom Landry had been a B-52 pilot in WWII. Also, in the off seasons, Landry would pair up with Billy Graham on a large number of crusade meetings.

Towards the end, Landry would not give up his control of play selections and on the field control. This became a termination cause for Roger Staubach. He went to Landry and told him that Roger would then quit. Staubach told Landry that he would come back if he was given control of the offense, again.

Landry would not renig. From there. the NFL over took the play of the scheme, and moved on.

It then became necessary for the Cowboys to move on.

Poor Jerry was not prepared to handle the many delicate issues that would almost immediately fly in his direction, and not just creating cash flow out of the red and to a black status.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Prior to the 1984 season, Murchison sold the Cowboys to another Texas oil magnate, H.R. "Bum" Bright. Dallas posted a 9–7 record that season but missed the playoffs for the first time in 10 seasons and only the second time in 18 years. After going 10–6 in 1985 and winning a division title, the Cowboys were shut out 20–0 by the Rams in the Divisional round in Los Angeles.

Hard times came for the organization as they went 7–9 in 1986, 7–8 in 1987, and 3–13 in 1988. During this time period, Bright became disenchanted with the team. During an embarrassing home loss to Atlanta in 1987, Bright told the media that he was "horrified" at Landry's play calling. During the savings and loan crisis, Bright's savings and loan was taken over by the FSLIC. With most of the rest of his money tied up in the Cowboys, Bright was forced to sell the team to Jerry Jones on February 25, 1989.

Jones immediately fired Tom Landry, the only head coach in franchise history, replacing him with University of Miami head coach Jimmy Johnson, who was also Jerry Jones' teammate at the University of Arkansas as a fellow defensive lineman. The hiring of Johnson also reunited Johnson with second-year wide receiver Michael Irvin, who had played collegiately at Miami. With the first pick in the draft, the Cowboys selected UCLA quarterback Troy Aikman. Later that same year, they would trade veteran running back Herschel Walker to the Minnesota Vikings for five veteran players and eight draft choices. Although the Cowboys finished the 1989 season with a 1–15 record, their worst in almost 30 years, "The Trade" later allowed Dallas to draft a number of impact players to rebuild the team.

Dallas Cowboys - Wikipedia

Last edited:

rags747

Reaction score
Bum Bright hated Landry, he wanted to tell Landry that he was fired but Jerry thought that he was the one who should do it.

Forneymike

Reaction score
When Clint Murchison Jr. first purchased the Dallas Cowboys, and as a way for the old NFL ownership to dominate in a newly opened up Dallas City, he chose Tom Landry to be his head coach.

Tom Landry had been a player for a winning New York Giant team. He was a good player in the secondary and respected enough to be made a player/coach. He was made a defensive coach, along with the offensive coach Vince Lombardi.

Lombardi was made head coach for Green Bay, while Landry was made head coach for the Cowboys. Landry was a complex analyzer while Lombardi was much more basic and simpler in style.

His first season as head coach, the team only achieved a single tie and no wins. The team did not have a winning season in the first 6 seasons of the team. This hurt Landry deeply and brought him to tears before his players. He apologized to his players, for not having lead them better.

That became the turning point for the Cowboys. Murchison then gave Landry a vote of confidence and gave him a confidence contract for an extended period.

The team made it to a couple NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl, without wins. The label of not being able to win with all on the line, started to stick until the team won their first Super Bowl.

After Roger Staubach was made starting quarterback, in season, 1971, the Cowboys won their first Lombardi.

The Cowboys are the only NFL team to record 20 straight winning seasons (1966–85), in which they missed the playoffs only twice (1974 and 1984).

Tom Landry took charge of both the offense and defensive sides of the ball. His team was earmarked by complex systems and demanding very high levels of team oriented executions. His defense was noted by offset 4-3. The two interior tackles were off set from the line of scrimmage and made it very difficult to run on the defense, while this defense ran it's course.

The offense had multiple movements, highlighted by pre snap up and down line shift. This had to be picked up with backfield changes at the snap. Plays exploited many variations with gadget and multiple movements of who contacted the ball during multiple player exchanges.

The reason that these concepts were not repeated by other teams was that then, very few were even able to teach and explain the intricacies.

Tom Landry had been a B-52 pilot in WWII. Also, in the off seasons, Landry would pair up with Billy Graham on a large number of crusade meetings.

Towards the end, Landry would not give up his control of play selections and on the field control. This became a termination cause for Roger Staubach. He went to Landry and told him that Roger would then quit. Staubach told Landry that he would come back if he was given control of the offense, again.

Landry would not renig. From there. the NFL over took the play of the scheme, and moved on.

Poor Jerry was not prepared to handle the many delicate issues that would almost immediately fly in his direction, and not just creating cash flow out of the red and to a black status.
I’m not sure Staubach retired due to play calling. I actually lived through that time and he was 38 years old with several concussions. I don’t think he wanted to risk another. Roger was a military man and understood authority and knew Landry was never giving up play calling. Players in that day rarely played beyond 38.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I’m not sure Staubach retired due to play calling. I actually lived through that time and he was 38 years old with several concussions. I don’t think he wanted to risk another. Roger was a military man and understood authority and knew Landry was never giving up play calling. Players in that day rarely played beyond 38.

The NFL channel provided a special upon the career of Staubach. and that is what was provided in his highlight.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Bum Bright hated Landry, he wanted to tell Landry that he was fired but Jerry thought that he was the one who should do it.
Murchison was oil money...Bum was oil money...and Jerry was oil money.

The Cowboys bottomed out badly, for the last three to four seasons and lost a ton of money for Bum. Bum also was being pressed very strongly economically by economic procedures going on with to his oil sources.

It was Bum's deal to have solved and Jerry went on the basis of his involvement and premise that Jimmy Johnson was the basis of his purchase and contract agreement. This provided optimum value for Bum to be able to recoup lost monies.

Flamma

Reaction score
The team made it to a couple NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl, without wins.

Good post, I'm just nitpicking here. There was no NFC. Those were actual League Championship games. Like Super Bowls, they just weren't called Super Bowls back then. The two leagues weren't merged until Super Bowl V. The first four Super Bowls were officially AFL VS NFL games. Super Bowl was kind of a nickname at the time.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Good post, I'm just nitpicking here. There was no NFC. Those were actual League Championship games. Like Super Bowls, they just weren't called Super Bowls back then. The two leagues weren't merged until Super Bowl V. The first four Super Bowls were officially AFL VS NFL games. Super Bowl was kind of a nickname at the time.

My note was the Cowboys took all the way to 1971 and Staubach being given the legitimate starting gig outright before a win and Lombardi was taken by Dallas. Landry was rotating quarterbacks out each play, That reinforces the view that a specific player was not seen by Landry as being essential, and supporting the sentiments of Roger that he wasn't being fully respected nor able to call plays on his own. Today, quarterbacks are given much more respect and the ability to direct play as it is met on the field.

Tom had lost touch, not necessarily respect, of the progressions in the NFL.

As to the label of not winning the big games, the NFC Championship games were very relevant.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Roger quit because of concussions. That said the game had passed my beloved HC and DC by.
I hated Jerry and still would not leave him in my will.
Jimmy finally brought me out of my funk after Landry. I will always give Jimmy full credit for all three super bowls. I will always blame Jerry for 25 years of failure
Thanks for the ride back though

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Later that same year, they would trade veteran running back Herschel Walker to the Minnesota Vikings for five veteran players and eight draft choices.

I still remember getting home from work that day. Turned on the TV and flipped it over to SportsCenter and heard the breaking news. I almost crapped my pants and thought the Cowboys completely lost their mind.

The only thing that has shocked me that much since then was the news Jimmy was leaving. I knew that was really bad news. I just didn't know it would be that bad.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
That's how I recall it going down as well.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I still remember getting home from work that day. Turned on the TV and flipped it over to SportsCenter and heard the breaking news. I almost crapped my pants and thought the Cowboys completely lost their mind.

The only thing that has shocked me that much since then was the news Jimmy was leaving. I knew that was really bad news. I just didn't know it would be that bad.

I had similar feelings...and I didn't like how the Jimmy 'affair' played out then.

plasticman

Reaction score
Did Murchison hire Landry? I know he hired Tex Schram to be the GM and I thought it was Tex who hired Tom.. As I recall, Murchison was the opposite of Jerry Jones and he pretty much stayed out of football related issues..

Also, the Cowboys "bottomed out" the last three seasons with a 7-8, 7-9, and finally 3-13 when Pelluer became the quarterback. He absolutely stunk.

In 1988 when the Cowboys truly had a terrible year they were a top ten offense in yardage with Herschel gaining over 32000 yards in total offense. However, they couldn't pass the ball when they had to. After 20 consecutive seasons of winning and, thus, selecting in the bottom fourth of the draft every season you had to expect that thee would eventually be some struggling, but you also expected that Tom Landry earned the right to rebuild the team and continue on. A 7-8 season followed by a 7-9 season was commendable for the lack of talent and multiple retirements. Even with the 3-13 season, I wouldn't call it hitting bottom. that's particularly true when you consider that the first season without Tom Landry produced a 1-15 season..

Three consecutive 5-11 seasons like 2000-2002? That was hitting bottom.

The Cowboys were going to draft Troy Aikman with Tom Landry as their coach. He had attended some of Aikman's games. They had drafted Michael Irvin the previous draft. Tom Landry fired most of the defensive coaches because he was preparing to change the style of his defense. It was going to be some type of 3-4 hybrid.

Yes, the owners have all been oil men....except that Bum Bright was a very bad oil man. He was losing money and that put pressure on him to make money with the Cowboys. This is why he sold the team and why he put so much pressure on Schram and Landry to succeed immediately despite the reality of constantly drafting low for 20 years.

conner01

Reaction score
Murchison was oil money...Bum was oil money...and Jerry was oil money.

The Cowboys bottomed out badly, for the last three to four seasons and lost a ton of money for Bum. Bum also was being pressed very strongly economically by economic procedures going on with to his oil sources.

It was Bum's deal to have solved and Jerry went on the basis of his involvement and premise that Jimmy Johnson was the basis of his purchase and contract agreement. This provided optimum value for Bum to be able to recoup lost monies.
The nfl is so different now. There are teams that don’t make huge money but no team loses money

plasticman

Reaction score
Of course, I neglected to correct my mistake as to Herschel's yards from scrimmage. LOL, it was not 32000 yards, the 3 does not belong there.

If Hershel had gained 32000 yards in a season Landry would have coached until his final breath and Herschel would have his own wing in the Hall of Fame.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

I read Landry and I like.