Trade option Gallup, Cowboys taking some of his cap hit?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We saw how Houston took on some of the cap hit for us to make the trade for Cooks, could the cowboys do the same on draft day if they wanted to help facilitate a trade for picks??

I like Gallup this is just a thought, we all know he came back from injury and wasn't what he was in previous years. Knowing this, of course we have to find a team who would be willing to take on these issues of his injury and the deal he signed with us. Do you think this would be an option if presented?? Please give your thoughts...

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Due to a restructuring of his contract, he has a 2023 cap hit of $6.7M with $19M in dead money. If he has so many issues as you stated why would another team trade for him?
His 2024 cap hit is $13.8M and his dead money hit is $13M so Dallas is in a position to get rid of Gallup as a post-June 1st designated cap hit saving $7.3M in 2024 by spreading the dead money between 2024 & 2025, saving just over $9M in 2025 and $15.8M in 2026.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We saw how Houston took on some of the cap hit for us to make the trade for Cooks, could the cowboys do the same on draft day if they wanted to help facilitate a trade for picks??

I like Gallup this is just a thought, we all know he came back from injury and wasn't what he was in previous years. Knowing this, of course we have to find a team who would be willing to take on these issues of his injury and the deal he signed with us. Do you think this would be an option if presented?? Please give your thoughts...
I doubt if that happens given the state of WR group last year. Gallup was obviously still recovering as he had no quickness. and with brown gone we have no depth if Gallup is traded.

John813

Reaction score
Dallas trades Gallup for picks and his cap hit goes from 6.7mil to 17.4mil, which means Dallas loses an additional 10.7mil in cap space right away.

There's very distinct differences between Cooks contract and Gallup contract and their impacts to the cap.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I see virtually 0 chance of a trade of Gallup. 1) His contract will be hard to move coming off a down year 2) The Cowboys believe he'll be more ready to contribute this year.

I hope he returns to the 2019 version we saw of Gallup, but that was 3 seasons ago. However, if he doesn't all options are on the table next year.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Lots of hate for Gallup on this board. Just signed a team friendly contract last offseason, restructured his contract this offseason and came back early from an ACL injury. Now the board wants him gone.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Lots of hate for Gallup on this board. Just signed a team friendly contract last offseason, restructured his contract this offseason and came back early from an ACL injury. Now the board wants him gone.
Too early.....

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yikes that is a big time NO from me. No upside at all for the Cowboys. Trade a WR for a draft pick, just to turn around and draft his replacement in a draft that is weak at WR?

Carson

Reaction score
0 reason to trade Gallup. He was hurt last season and is healthy now.

Much rather him than a late day 3 pick

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Moving Gallup would be a mistake. Odds are pretty good he rebounds this season meanwhile his trade value is an all time low.

I don’t see the cowboys trading a player but if they did Dorrance Armstrong would be a good candidate to shop around IMO. Coming off an 8.5 sack season he could have some sneaky trade value.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t see the Cowboys trading Gallup. You don’t want to be adding an experienced receiver then move on from another one. No assurances Jalen Tolbert pans out this summer and if not he could be cut. We need as many receiving weapons as we can get. The Cowboys are hoping that after a full year Gallup will return the form.

Sydla

Reaction score

Houston took the cap hit for some of his base salary, not prorated bonus money. If a team agrees to pay some of a guy's base salary, that team then takes on that portion of the base salary they paid on their cap. But any signing bonuses or restructures or other bonuses already paid out, the team on the hook for them (in this case the Cowboys with Gallup) can't shift them to another team.

The only thing Dallas could do is agree to pay some of his $6-7 million base and put that piece on their cap. But why would they do that when $6-7 million cap hit for a competent WR would likely be attractive to another team and two, the Cowboys would already have to eat a ton of dead money to move him so why even add more to that cap hit?

Dallas isnt' trading Gallup. Forget your thoughts on him as a player, cap wise, it's a non starter.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I see virtually 0 chance of a trade of Gallup. 1) His contract will be hard to move coming off a down year 2) The Cowboys believe he'll be more ready to contribute this year.

I hope he returns to the 2019 version we saw of Gallup, but that was 3 seasons ago. However, if he doesn't all options are on the table next year.
He won't be traded but it has absolutely nothing to do with a team not wanting to take on his contract. For us the cap hit would be steep because of the dead money. His base salary is $1.6M this year, $8.5M next year and then $10Mish per after that. He has per game bonuses of $58K per game or up to $1M per year in each year. A team can trade for him and cut him before the 5th league day next year when $4M of his base salary guarantees and basically get him for a little over the league minimum because they only pay that $1.6M base salary for this year, plus a per game bonus of up to $1M. Or they can keep him one more year and get him for 2 years at $10M total (Up to $12M with the per game bonuses) or an average of $6M per max. That will not be a hard contract to move at all and actually a huge plus to any team looking to trade for him

I do agree with you that if he doesn't play better he is likely gone next year

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The hate is coming from you, it was a question, could have easily said he's a bum or other words to make you happy