Trade up Jerry, not down!

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I think last year we did a lot of trading down because the possibility of acquiring a vet reciever from another team was high, but with the amount of picks we have, I think we should do some trading up. Right now, our picks are (I dropped the slot of our picks according to AdamJT13's comp pick projections):

#51 (2nd round), #69 (3rd round), #100 (4th round), #116 (4th round), #157 (5th round), #167 (5th round), #173 (5th round)*, #197 (6th round), #208 (6th round)*, #211 (7th round) and #228 (7th round).

*Comp picks cannot be traded.

I say we stay put with our 2nd round pick and possibly our 3rd, but after that we should consider trading up. Trading our 2 low 5th round picks can get us into the 20s for the 4th round. Trading our last 3 picks (excluding the comp pick) can move up about 20 slots. IMO, we should do no trading down, just up and end up with 2nd, 3rd, 4th (3), 5th*, 6th (higher pick) and 6th* round picks.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
*Shrugs* I'm indifferent on the matter. Trade up, or down, stay pat, I'm not really bothered either way. I just want to see us get a few quality players with our picks.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
you have the right ideal but the wrong way and your forgetting one thing too.

first, jerry jones does need to trade up but in only one way to start off with;

when it comes to the draft, say when the 47th pick starts, you have your own draft board, say 10 players you like are still on your board, you dont trade up then, only if slim picking start when get to like the 49th pick, but when 49th pick starts and say 8 players are still on your board, again you dont trade up, you stay where you are and see if someone might want to trade with you. Say for instance when your 51st pick starts and duke robinson, sidling, pegas safety, loadholt ot, with 3-4 other players are still there, then you might trade down 2-3 spots to pick up an extra 3rd rounder. But if only 3 players are there when your 51st pick are there, you stay there.

Now, on to the 3rd pick, thats a high high pick and its in the 2nd day of the draft since there are only 2 rounds of draft in the first day. The 3rd round starts the 2nd day. You dont want to trade that high a pick, because first, players always fall after the first day. Then on top of that, 10 to 1 teams will offer you the moon for a high pick the 2nd day of the draft.

Now, what you could do since you have 2 fourth rounds picks and 2 fifth round picks, with 2 7th round picks, you could use a couple of those picks to move up from 4th to 3rd or higher in the 4th rounds. This draft is deep from 2nd round to about the end of the 5th round with players with about same quality talent. Its kinda like when the cowboys picked a few years ago and made a trade with the eagles in the 4th round to get 2 key players in the draft, chris canty and barber. This year's draft is just like that. After the 4th or 5th round it kinda tails off. Remember at the same time, we got a steal in the 5th round in orlando scandrick. So, you want to keep at least one of those 5th rounders.

Finally, remember we traded our 5th rounder in 2010, we need to recoup that pick back and possibly a high 3rd rounder or 4th rounder too. Since the end of the cap year will hit in 2010, which also means no draft possibly unless an agreement is hit. All agents for draft picks and draft picks will come out in that year 2010 because they know their changes of getting top money might be gone. So, you definitely want all your picks and then some in 2010.

so, look at it that way. Possibly move up some in 3rd or 4th rounds, and recoup that 5th rounder in 2010 with possibly an extra 3rd or 4th rounder in 2010.

Hopefully we get a 3rd rounder for losing chris canty in a compensation pick, which really means a high 4th rounder.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Trading up or down should mostly depends on what is happening on draft day.

If a guy you love has dropped and the value--according to your team's draft board--is very good, and it looks like he could get snagged by someone else before your pick comes, and you have a fair trade offer to move ahead of that team, then maybe you trade up. whew.