News: Triple-Threat: Teammates Join Brandon Carr’s Campaign to Develop Leaders for Tomorrow

CCBoy

Reaction score
http://www.5pointsblue.com/triple-t...ndon-carrs-campaign-develop-leaders-tomorrow/

Triple-Threat: Teammates Join Brandon Carr’s Campaign to Develop Leaders for Tomorrow

During Thursday night’s game, you probably noticed that 13 Cowboys were wearing fancy custom cleats as part of the NFL’s “My Cause, My Cleats” charitable campaign. It was a chance for players to show their individuality while also supporting their favorite charitable causes. But three of the Cowboys were wearing the exact same design. That’s because receiver Terrance Williams and safety Byron Jones were showing support for teammate Brandon Carr and his Carr Cares Foundation by wearing cleats with the slogan ‘Today a Reader, Tomorrow a Leader’, a core principle of the foundation.

Byron Jones

“It’s really special that my teammates are involved with the cause,” says Carr. “We talk about camaraderie and supporting one another. There’s no better way for them to support me and promote the foundation than to wear some stylish cleats that showcase our mission. This is a fun way to further impact our community, and it’s wonderful the NFL is allowing us to highlight our passions and our off-the-field work.”

The other slogan displayed prominently on the cleats was ‘Flint: Vehicle City’. Carr is a native of Flint, Michigan and he expanded his foundation’s outreach to stretch beyond North Texas and into his hometown.

Terrance Williams

“I feel very passionate about the foundation’s literacy programs, so after we chartered the Carr Cares Foundation in 2012 in Dallas, we expanded the learning centers to Flint as recently as two years ago,” explains Carr. “Literacy has a strong correlation to your success rate in education. Fourth grade is really a turning point in a child’s life as far as learning to read. It also determines success rates later in school, whether or not you stay on course to graduate.

“What will it be for some of these students: graduation or prison? The key to having ownership of your own life is literacy. You must be able to read and understand what you’re learning. That’s how you can have more control over your life and your future. I’m trying to empower these youth for their future. Ultimately, they’re going to be the ones taking care of us and moving the needle more as we get older.”...