Recap: Troy Aikman Show 11/9 - Eagles, Fixing the Run Game, Fixing Penalties

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
  • One of those games you expect between Cowboys and Eagles. A few close plays determined the game. If had gone Cowboys way, they would have had a win. That's what happens when you have 2 good teams. When Cowboys got so close to end zone, I thought it was academic at that point, but then the penalty, sack, etc.
  • Cowboys usually seem to win away games when back against wall, but didn't do it this time. Things can turn around quickly, you see San Francisco lost 3 in a row. It's not over, they still can win division, but it's much tougher now.
  • Fixing the running game at this point is more challenging. I'm sure a lot of people are wondering if Pollard can carry the load. I don't know. I think there's a lot to it. I like Tony a lot. The joke is and going back to when I played -- When a team is not running the ball, it's on the offensive line, when they are running, it's the back doing it. I know it's an important priority for Mike, but when you're this far in the season, you are what you are. And there are some great run defenses in the NFL.
  • I know Parcells would say "I don't coach penalties," which was fantastic. Smart, took himself off the hook. I think there are disciplined coaches who are tough during the week but still have teams with penalties. Then, I've seen ones who don't pay much attention and won't have many penalties. I don't know if there is a hard and fast way to look at it, and why teams struggle with it, but you just can't have it. When you're having pre-snap penalties especially, they just have to stop. You can't play winning football if you're having problems before the ball is even put in play. No coach really knows the answer. I'm old school so my approach would probably be different than today's coaches, but it would certainly be addressed.
  • I think not enough practices now at same tempo as used to be causes it. It's the only sport where you don't practice as hard as you play. One reason why I'm always impressed with San Francisco and how physical they are on game day. The practices in my day were very demanding and tempo was usually at game speed. If you're not practicing at game speed, things happen. My worry -- and been saying it a while -- but no one worries because it's the #1 sport and making money, but because of less practice time and never going back to way it was, and less practice time with each collective bargaining agreements, what is that ultimately going to do to the game itself? Sometimes I don't think decisions are being made on what is best for game on the field. Coaches who have been here a long time, how do you adapt to it? Not easy, I talk to a lot of them about it.
  • I think quality and depth of all positions in NFL is hard because of the cap. If you're going to pay a quality backup QB, that money is going elsewhere now. You look at a lot of teams that you say are Playoff contenders, and then you look at their QB position and scratch your head, because if they do lose their starter, they will have a hard time playing games. Before the Cap, we had backup linemen making a good living, and other positions as well, so drop-off wasn't as severe. Then everyone went younger at backups. We saw drop-offs with injuries.
  • I call the Buffalo/Denver game this week. You have to string wins together at this point in season. Buffalo has had a hard time doing that. Denver, all anyone remembers is the 70-point game, and I was surprised how much better they are since that game. Won 2 in a row, beat KC. Russell Wilson is better than he was a year ago. This is the time to position yourself for December. Cowboys are in that same spot too.
  • (You just broke Madden/Summerall's record for most years together in booth with Joe Buck.) Hard to believe Joe and I have done it that long. Both Madden & Summerall meant a lot to me. To have Madden & Summerall narrate the highlights of your career is the best memory ever. I saw a clip of the 86 World Series and Vin Scully calling it yesterday and it was fantastic. And same for Jon and Pat, it just felt right listening to them. So to surpass them, it hasn't hit me. We have been fortunate. A lot of duos for many reasons couldn't stay together. We're roughly same age and been through lot experiences together, good friends, and the fact that he was able to leave FOX too meant a lot. He didn't have to come. We both proved what we said for 21 years, we didn't want work with anyone else. I hope it ends up as 30 years. I'm proud of it, but Pat and Jon will always be the standard.
  • We did Thursday night games my last 4 years at FOX. Different feel, and it helped us get ready for MNF. When you did Sunday as long as we did -- and I think Jon felt same way -- it was a good time slot and you miss it. I know our ratings are up and we've had a good year for MNF ratings but it's a different audience. Sunday Afternoon though seems to be the window that people want to watch football and grateful that fans still miss us in that time slot.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
  • One of those games you expect between Cowboys and Eagles. A few close plays determined the game. If had gone Cowboys way, they would have had a win. That's what happens when you have 2 good teams. When Cowboys got so close to end zone, I thought it was academic at that point, but then the penalty, sack, etc.
  • Cowboys usually seem to win away games when back against wall, but didn't do it this time. Things can turn around quickly, you see San Francisco lost 3 in a row. It's not over, they still can win division, but it's much tougher now.
  • Fixing the running game at this point is more challenging. I'm sure a lot of people are wondering if Pollard can carry the load. I don't know. I think there's a lot to it. I like Tony a lot. The joke is and going back to when I played -- When a team is not running the ball, it's on the offensive line, when they are running, it's the back doing it. I know it's an important priority for Mike, but when you're this far in the season, you are what you are. And there are some great run defenses in the NFL.
  • I know Parcells would say "I don't coach penalties," which was fantastic. Smart, took himself off the hook. I think there are disciplined coaches who are tough during the week but still have teams with penalties. Then, I've seen ones who don't pay much attention and won't have many penalties. I don't know if there is a hard and fast way to look at it, and why teams struggle with it, but you just can't have it. When you're having pre-snap penalties especially, they just have to stop. You can't play winning football if you're having problems before the ball is even put in play. No coach really knows the answer. I'm old school so my approach would probably be different than today's coaches, but it would certainly be addressed.
  • I think not enough practices now at same tempo as used to be causes it. It's the only sport where you don't practice as hard as you play. One reason why I'm always impressed with San Francisco and how physical they are on game day. The practices in my day were very demanding and tempo was usually at game speed. If you're not practicing at game speed, things happen. My worry -- and been saying it a while -- but no one worries because it's the #1 sport and making money, but because of less practice time and never going back to way it was, and less practice time with each collective bargaining agreements, what is that ultimately going to do to the game itself? Sometimes I don't think decisions are being made on what is best for game on the field. Coaches who have been here a long time, how do you adapt to it? Not easy, I talk to a lot of them about it.
  • I think quality and depth of all positions in NFL is hard because of the cap. If you're going to pay a quality backup QB, that money is going elsewhere now. You look at a lot of teams that you say are Playoff contenders, and then you look at their QB position and scratch your head, because if they do lose their starter, they will have a hard time playing games. Before the Cap, we had backup linemen making a good living, and other positions as well, so drop-off wasn't as severe. Then everyone went younger at backups. We saw drop-offs with injuries.
  • I call the Buffalo/Denver game this week. You have to string wins together at this point in season. Buffalo has had a hard time doing that. Denver, all anyone remembers is the 70-point game, and I was surprised how much better they are since that game. Won 2 in a row, beat KC. Russell Wilson is better than he was a year ago. This is the time to position yourself for December. Cowboys are in that same spot too.
  • (You just broke Madden/Summerall's record for most years together in booth with Joe Buck.) Hard to believe Joe and I have done it that long. Both Madden & Summerall meant a lot to me. To have Madden & Summerall narrate the highlights of your career is the best memory ever. I saw a clip of the 86 World Series and Vin Scully calling it yesterday and it was fantastic. And same for Jon and Pat, it just felt right listening to them. So to surpass them, it hasn't hit me. We have been fortunate. A lot of duos for many reasons couldn't stay together. We're roughly same age and been through lot experiences together, good friends, and the fact that he was able to leave FOX too meant a lot. He didn't have to come. We both proved what we said for 21 years, we didn't want work with anyone else. I hope it ends up as 30 years. I'm proud of it, but Pat and Jon will always be the standard.
  • We did Thursday night games my last 4 years at FOX. Different feel, and it helped us get ready for MNF. When you did Sunday as long as we did -- and I think Jon felt same way -- it was a good time slot and you miss it. I know our ratings are up and we've had a good year for MNF ratings but it's a different audience. Sunday Afternoon though seems to be the window that people want to watch football and grateful that fans still miss us in that time slot.
Still feel the penalties are rooted in a lack of discipline.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
That's his point, it's too late. I'll take it a step further too and say more the reason we should have been trying to trade for something at the deadline. My words, not Troy's.
Your words are right, but jerry isn't, we all know that. He feels so great about this team, and this team is LACKING players that couldn't/didn't get in free agency earlier or in the draft. Last moment was to make a deal and we didn't as usual and wonder why we get the same results

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I understand it may get old bashing Jerry all the time, but....but....he brings it on himself by propping himself up as a football man....and falling short for 25+ years IN A ROW. No one....and I mean no one has been given that much rope. Front offices across the NFL have turned over several times in those 25+ years. Why? Because you don't keep a job if you don't produce.

My point? How can some that fancies themself as a "football man" not realize that Pollard is a "change of pace" back? He has never been a lead RB...all the way back to his high school days and on into college. How can anyone that fancies themself as a "football man" not realize that we do not have a physical WR with size? Plays inside the 5 - 10 yard line to WRs and RBs that are NOT physical will cause the kinds of issues you are seeing when we get close to the endzone. ESPECIALLY against good teams!!!!

These issues are not surprises...these were CHOICES that our "football man" made going into the season. And signing Martavious Bryant is the right thought (big WR) but probably not the right guy when you consider how long he has been out of the NFL.

pitt33

Reaction score
Lack of a running game will ultimately be their undoing this season.

Puts a lot on the passing game.

Not what this team needs at the end of tight contests.

Got to wonder if they made a mistake getting rid of Philbin.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I understand it may get old bashing Jerry all the time, but....but....he brings it on himself by propping himself up as a football man....and falling short for 25+ years IN A ROW. No one....and I mean no one has been given that much rope. Front offices across the NFL have turned over several times in those 25+ years. Why? Because you don't keep a job if you don't produce.

My point? How can some that fancies themself as a "football man" not realize that Pollard is a "change of pace" back? He has never been a lead RB...all the way back to his high school days and on into college. How can anyone that fancies themself as a "football man" not realize that we do not have a physical WR with size? Plays inside the 5 - 10 yard line to WRs and RBs that are NOT physical will cause the kinds of issues you are seeing when we get close to the endzone. ESPECIALLY against good teams!!!!

These issues are not surprises...these were CHOICES that our "football man" made going into the season. And signing Martavious Bryant is the right thought (big WR) but probably not the right guy when you consider how long he has been out of the NFL.
Devil's advocate, I don't think Jerry would be the only GM predicting Pollard could handle the load. I can think of many RBs who made that transition, including small ones. Don't get common sense confused with the chest thumping from fans who want to proclaim their GM greatness. LOL

IMO, the fans who should take credit are the ones warning that we were getting careless on the Line. Everything from our 1st-2nd reaches instead of Oline, to gambling on Tyron again, to assuming Steele was worth a new contract after that massive injury.

Like Aikman said, a lot of factors at play, not just a black and white issue. Pollard's injury, O-Line deterioration, new offense, and then just the "carry the load" factor. All of it is combining for a disappointing run game. I wouldn't say it's horrible, but it's not what they are used to.

You have to go all way back to 2012 (Murray and Felix Jones) to find a season where we averaged less than 4 yards a carry. Wasn't just Zeke, there were a lot of guys in those RB rotations for 11 years. Probably not a coincidence that 2013, we drafted T-Fred, then next year with Zack. Tyron was already on team.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always liked listening to Troy on the Ticket. He always has been a straight shooter about the team.

I do like what he said about they still have change at the division, it is just a little tougher now. And said look at SF how they lost 3 in a row now.
I been saying this as well, it is not over. Makes me laugh even more at all the doubters and their comments.

Win Sunday we are 2 games back with 8 games to go, and one is against Philly in our house.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Devil's advocate, I don't think Jerry would be the only GM predicting Pollard could handle the load. I can think of many RBs who made that transition, including small ones. Don't get common sense confused with the chest thumping from fans who want to proclaim their GM greatness. LOL

IMO, the fans who should take credit are the ones warning that we were getting careless on the Line. Everything from our 1st-2nd reaches instead of Oline, to gambling on Tyron again, to assuming Steele was worth a new contract after that massive injury.

Like Aikman said, a lot of factors at play, not just a black and white issue. Pollard's injury, O-Line deterioration, new offense, and then just the "carry the load" factor. All of it is combining for a disappointing run game. I wouldn't say it's horrible, but it's not what they are used to.

You have to go all way back to 2012 (Murray and Felix Jones) to find a season where we averaged less than 4 yards a carry. Wasn't just Zeke, there were a lot of guys in those RB rotations for 11 years. Probably not a coincidence that 2013, we drafted T-Fred, then next year with Zack. Tyron was already on team.
I will concede that the O-line has not been great. But here is what you get when you have a physical RB. You get a defense that gets tired of tackling him. Zeke, for all his warts near the end...made the defense feel him. Pollard does not wear down a defense. Not saying he isn't a quality back. But he did benefit from Zeke (or another physical RB) softening the defense up. We will struggle all season in short yardage situations, and there is a chance Pollard, who has never been "the guy"....might wear down from being cast in a lead guy role.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score

No truer words were ever said, the quality of Football today is in decline because players aren't practising hard or long enough during the week....

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
No truer words were ever said, the quality of Football today is in decline because players aren't practising hard or long enough during the week....
It was really bad in week one too this year with less preseason. Alarmingly bad. Our team was one of the few that came out on fire.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I will concede that the O-line has not been great. But here is what you get when you have a physical RB. You get a defense that gets tired of tackling him. Zeke, for all his warts near the end...made the defense feel him. Pollard does not wear down a defense. Not saying he isn't a quality back. But he did benefit from Zeke (or another physical RB) softening the defense up. We will struggle all season in short yardage situations, and there is a chance Pollard, who has never been "the guy"....might wear down from being cast in a lead guy role.
For me, what sealed the deal with Zeke were some of Pollard's injuries at end of last year. Zeke had a chance to be the man again more than once and it was just sad what he produced. I was definitely rooting for him too, always been one of my favorite players last decade. I would have just traded or signed someone in the offseason with a little more juice left. Slower physical backs are easy to find.