Troy S Sherrod Martin battles injuries

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Troy S Sherrod Martin battles injuries
3:00 PM Wed, Apr 15, 2009 | Permalink
Rick Gosselin E-mail News tips

The NFL loves Troy safety Sherrod Martin as a football player but has concerns about his size. He's undersized for a safety by NFL standards at 6-1, 198 pounds and has a history of injury. The rule of thumb is if you get hurt in college, you'll get hurt in the NFL where the players and hits are both bigger.

Martin brought shoulder problems with him to college from high school and wound up having surgery on his right shoulder in December 2005 and on his left shoulder in February 2006. He took the 2006 season off as a medical redshirt and then suffered broken bones in his hand in a game in his first month back to the field in September 2007.

Asked if he considered himself injury-prone, Martin answered with an emphatic no, saying the shoulders were an old injury and the broken hand was fluke. Martin said the injuries helped make him the player he is today -- an All-Sun Belt Conference safety.

"That taught me how to deal with pain," said Martin, who projects as a preimium draft pick (first three rounds). "I had to overcome a lot - having surgeries and having to rebuild muscles. I constantly felt like I was behind and the weight room became my second home."