Truth & Rumor Feb 22, 2006

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Joey Harrington isn't just staying with the Lions. He's penciled in as their No. 1 quarterback. President Matt Millen and coach Rod Marinelli made that clear Tuesday. Millen said the Lions wanted to acquire the best quarterback they could this off-season -- but they were looking for a backup. Jeff Garcia is not expected to return.
-- Detroit Free Press

Charles Woodson's days in a Raiders uniform are over. Woodson cost the Raiders $10.529 million in '05 and played in all of six games. He accounted for more than one-eighth of the team's entire payroll. Once a team leader, he completely disappeared from the locker room after being injured against Buffalo. "He's finally gone. There is no value in bringing him back, period,'' said an NFL source
-- San Francisco Chronicle

The belief in league circles is that Jets coach Eric Mangini and general manager Mike Tannenbaum are targeting Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler with the fourth overall pick. Such a move would coincide with signing a second-tier veteran -- Aaron Brooks, Jon Kitna, Brian Griese and Sage Rosenfels are possibilities -- and almost certainly would spell the end of Chad Pennington's career as a Jet.
-- Newsday

Ray Lewis' unhappiness with the Ravens - which prompted a trade request - could have been avoided years ago if he had taken the team's advice, a Ravens official said. The Ravens encouraged Lewis to go with a shorter-term contract in 2002 that would have allowed him to become a free agent this season. But Lewis wanted the prestige of a then-NFL record $19 million signing bonus, a team official said on condition of anonymity.
-- Baltimore Sun

Look for the Bucs to try to restructure Brian Griese's contract. If Griese doesn't accept, the team will cut him, and hand the starter's job to Chris Simms. The Bucs would like to sign Simms before the free agency period, but that's not likely. Simms is expected to play the field for a while, even if it's only to hike his price tag. With Tim Rattay and Luke McCown on the roster, the Bucs have the leverage on the Griese issue
-- Tampa Tribune

With no other viable backup for Cadillac Williams, the Bucs can't afford to cut Michael Pittman. However, Pittman's $2.1 million cap figure is a little steep for a reserve, so look for the Bucs to try to rework that deal. Bucs fans don't want to hear this, but Mike Alstott could be a cap casualty.
-- Tampa Tribune

The Bucs definitely will ask Simeon Rice and Anthony McFarland to restructure their deals. If either refuses, he may be cut. In fact, the Bucs may opt to cut McFarland outright anyway and go with Dewayne White and Ellis Wyms as their under tackles.
-- Tampa Tribune

According to someone with knowledge of the situation, several teams have expressed interest in trading for Jets DE John Abraham, including San Diego, Washington, Cleveland and Houston. Rumors have persisted that the Jets could get Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers or Commanders quarterback Patrick Ramsey in a trade involving Abraham.
-- Newark Star-Ledger

[John] Abraham and his agents can stick it to the Jets this time if they sign the contract immediately, because the Jets are currently floundering with salary-cap problems, some $26 million over the cap entering this week. As soon as Abraham signs the contract, that $8.33 million will register on the cap. In essence, that would be a pain in the Jets' side, though it would make Abraham responsible for being a part of required offseason activities.
-- New York Post

San Francisco fans should prepare to say goodbye to 49ers linebacker Julian Peterson. Coach Mike Nolan has been up-front about his reluctance to invest so much cash in a single player, especially on a team with so many pressing needs.
-- San Francisco Chronicle

The Jets will begin casting off high-priced veterans, particularly on offense, later this week, starting with tackle Jason Fabini and fullback Jerald Sowell. Guard Pete Kendall also is expected to be released in a massive salary-cap purge, but the most surprising victim could be six-time Pro Bowl center Kevin Mawae. Two people with knowledge of the Jets' strategy said the team is open to exploring trade possibilities for Mawae.
-- Newsday

The Dolphins appear ready to part ways with future Hall of Fame linebacker Junior Seau and may do the same with quarterback Gus Frerotte if a restructured contract can't be agreed upon.
-- South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Although the Dolphins have made it a priority to find a quarterback, they have reason to be patient as they await word on the availability of Daunte Culpepper and Steve McNair. Even after discussing a trade for Culpepper -- who's still recovering from a major knee injury -- the Dolphins are privately hopeful Minnesota will cut him before he's due a $6 million bonus on March 14 (that's questionable). The Dolphins also like McNair, but only at a reasonable price.
-- Miami Herald

Jacksonville's David Garrard also interests Miami, according to an official who has spoken to the team. But the Jaguars have little incentive to trade Garrard because of Byron Leftwich's history of injuries.
-- Miami Herald

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf acknowledged Tuesday that the team is determining its future with [Daunte] Culpepper, but Wilf would not predict the likelihood that Culpepper will be traded. The team seems destined to determine its direction by the middle of March, when Culpepper is due a $6 million roster bonus.
-- Minneapolis Star Tribune

It has been 51 days since the Packers played their final game but GM Ted Thompson still doesn't know if quarterback Brett Favre intends to play in '06. "We talk every week or 10 days," Thompson said, adding that it appeared Favre still was weighing his decision.
-- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Receiver Charles Rogers will return to the Lions, [Matt] Millen said Tuesday. He had better be ready to work hard. Rogers has been a huge disappointment since the Lions drafted him second overall in 2003. Rogers still has a lot of upside, and the new coaches say they will demand more of Rogers and fellow receivers Roy Williams and Mike Williams.
-- Detroit Free Press

Safety John Lynch recently said he has no timetable on how much longer he will play. Tuesday, the safety gave himself some wiggle room on his future and helped the Broncos' salary cap situation by signing an extension through the 2008 season. He recently received but deflected interest from Fox about joining the TV network's pregame show in the fall.
-- Denver Post

If the Lions can't work out a long-term deal with left tackle Jeff Backus by Thursday's deadline, they will use their franchise or transition tag on him, effectively keeping him out of the free-agent market.
-- Detroit Free Press

Quarterback Trent Green said he's willing to restructure his contract, which counts nearly $8.3 million against the Chiefs' salary cap.
-- Kansas City Star

Vikings defensive end Kenechi Udeze continues to rehab after having season-ending microfracture surgery on his left knee last October and is expected to be ready for training camp.
-- Minneapolis Star Tribune

With the help of general manager Charley Armey and the Rams' scouting department, coach Scott Linehan plans to have someone in the Rams organization interview every one of the 300-plus draft prospects at the combine, whether it's during the formal interview sessions in the evening or elsewhere during the day.
-- St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Doomsday101

Reaction score
clayman said:
Kevin Mawae cut or traded? damn!

13 year vet though not sure what they could get in a trade. Bottom line is the Jets cap is messed up and they have little choice but to part ways with some players.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I said the same thing when I read it. Damn

I'll believe it when I see it though.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
If the Skins think they're gonna get a Pro-Bowl pass-rushing DE for a bust backup QB, they are out of their ever-loving minds.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
bbgun said:
If the Skins think they're gonna get a Pro-Bowl pass-rushing DE for a bust backup QB, they are out of their ever-loving minds.

Don't be so quick. Some QB's thrive in different offenses. I'll concede that Ramsey hasn't been much to look at, he could just use a change of scenery. Drew Bledsoe went from mediocre to Pro Bowl snub when he came to Dallas.

Don't count him out but the thought of Abraham on the Commanders defense scares me.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Whats up with Woodson, is he worth even looking at anymore. I did nto like him a few years ago, then I started watching him and I think he would be decent. Lets see how he rebounds from the injury. I dont want a cancer either. I never thought about Woodson as a bad guy type.

ps. Matt Millen is the biggest idiot in the NFL, hes only rivaled by Isiah Thomas of the knicks as the biggest idiot of all time.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
Don't count him out but the thought of Abraham on the Commanders defense scares me.

That means they will cut Arrington. Imagine him on our strong side.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
The Bucs definitely will ask Simeon Rice and Anthony McFarland to restructure their deals. If either refuses, he may be cut. In fact, the Bucs may opt to cut McFarland outright anyway and go with Dewayne White and Ellis Wyms as their under tackles.

Booger anyone?

neosapien23

Reaction score
Why no mention of Moulds and Williams? Both of them are probably going to be cut from the Bills roster. Maybe BP can get Williams to shed about 15 to 20 lbs in time for training camp. I wouldn't mind taking a flier on this guy and seeing is he can win the RT job. I'm sure the former Longhorn would be thrilled to play for Dallas.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
I'd get Mike Williams just because he's a fat *** like Larry Allen. Eric Moulds would make a good slot guy if we didn't get Santonio Holmes in the draft.

neosapien23

Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
I'd get Mike Williams just because he's a fat *** like Larry Allen.

He definitley needs to shed a few pounds. If he could slim down 15 pounds, I think he would be all right. Flozell weighs 345lbs and no one questions his agility.