TSN: Ranking the receivers

chicago JK

Reaction score
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WR rankings: Williams towers over the field

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/voi...i/20050320.html

An analytical look at the 2005 wide receiver class:

1. Mike Williams, 6-4 5/8, 229, Southern California. Towering player who will present a mismatch against every defender he faces. Catches balls when he's covered. A freak. Hands are really good. Can make circus catches. Adjusts well to the pass. Has excellent body control. Great red-zone weapon. Can be deadly on routes over the middle. Has good strength. Will run over smaller defenders, but does not run exceptionally well after the catch. Runs average routes. Lacks short-area quickness to create separation. Does not play very fast. Played two years in college; sat out last season in a draft eligibility dispute. Lacks polished, but appears to be mature. Could become a tight end, but his heart is not in blocking.

2. Troy Williamson, South Carolina, 6-1 3/8, 203. Big guy who can fly. Runs by defenders. Smooth athlete who builds speed. Has good concentration and hands. Can catch balls away from his body. Is physical and can break tackles. A junior; lacks experience and has not had many passes thrown to him. Will get better; could become the best receiver in this class in four or five years. Routes aren't crisp. Lacks outstanding foot quickness.

3. Mark Clayton, Oklahoma, 5-10 3/8, 193. Silky-smooth with great ability to separate. Runs precise routes. Gets yards after the catch with burst and elusiveness. Has timed speed and play speed, as well as excellent quickness. Hands are very good. Goes up for the ball. Is fearless. Will block. Polished player. Was impressive in interviews. Returns kicks and punts. Only knock: He's a bit smaller than you'd like.

4. Braylon Edwards, Michigan, 6-2 7/8, 211. Big with surprising elusiveness. Came on strong as a senior. Gets yards after the catch. Is strong; doesn't go down easily. Extends for the ball and provides a big target. Speed is decent, not great. Is tough over the middle. Has inconsistent hands; makes incredible catches but drops too many easy ones. Doesn't always fight for the ball as much as he could. Lacks great body control. So-so blocker. Is considered a better version of former Michigan receiver David Terrell.

5. Roddy White, UAB, 6-1 1/4, 207. Big guy who plays big. Can beat the jam. Was a high school wrestling champion, and plays like it. Brings a physical dimension. Tenacious blocker. Is not concerned about exposing himself to defenders. Excellent red-zone weapon. Has sneaky speed. Hands are pretty good, but will drop an easy one from time to time. Makes catches away from his body. Is not the smoothest route-runner. Shows good body control.

6. Roscoe Parrish, Miami, 5-9 3/4, 170. Shifty runner with top athleticism. Has excellent short-area quickness. Separation skills are wonderful. Can reach and pluck. Has play speed. Has everything except good size. Tough; does not go down easily. Willing to go over the middle. Would be deadly in the slot. Isn't much of a blocker.

7. Terrence Murphy, Texas A&M, 6-0 7/8, 202. Great hands are his best quality. Can catch a bad pass. Will make spectacular catches. Has quick feet and can avoid defenders. Is big and fast. Runs good routes. Is fairly tough. Doesn't separate as well as you'd like. Can return kicks.

8. Reggie Brown, Georgia, 6-1 5/8, 196. Quick with good body control and change of direction. Hands are OK. Can gain yards after the catch. Has decent combination of size and speed. Has not always gotten the most out of his physical tools. Determined blocker. There are concerns about his durability. Has improved over time and has the skills to take off in the NFL.

9. Jerome Mathis, Hampton, 5-11 1/4, 181. Was considered a fourth- or fifth-round pick until he ran a 4.26 40 at the Combine. Also had a nice performance at the Gridiron Classic. Plays as fast as he times. Separates from defenders. Is an Olympic-caliber sprinter. Hands are a bit inconsistent. Is not a polished route-runner. Is inconsistent. Does not relish blocking responsibilities. Has character issues.

10. Vincent Jackson, Northern Colorado, 6-4 3/4, 241. Big and tough; could be shifted to tight end. Has good speed and leaping ability. Has a basketball background. Is athletic, with body control and quickness. Can be a return man. Raw. Needs technique work. Dominated against a lower-level competition.

11. Courtney Roby, Indiana, 6-0 1/8, 189. Speedy in the mold of Isaac Bruce. Athletic; has good leaping ability. Has good height and hands. Can get yards after the catch. Has a quick burst to separate before and after the catch. Could improve strength and toughness.

12. Fred Gibson, Georgia, 6-4, 196. Tall, slender, with OK speed. Can gain yards after the catch. Has inconsistent hands, but can make circus catches. Works hard to get open. Gets thrown off routes by more physical defenders. Is not effective over the middle. Could be tougher. Helped himself in the postseason. Can return kicks. Has durability concerns and off-field baggage.

13. Mark Bradley, Oklahoma, 6-1 3/8, 201. Fast with a nice burst. Is one of the better athletes in this class. Is similar to Raiders' Jerry Porter. Inconsistent. Flashes top ability. Hands are average. Boom-or-bust type. Stock has been on the rise.

The following receivers are considered second-day prospects:

14. Tab Perry, UCLA, 6-2 1/20, 229. Physical; runs well in timing. Has many the skills and qualities teams seek -- size, hands, body control, strength -- but has not been a big producer. Good blocker. Does not go down easily. Sat out most of the 2003 season with academic issues. Does not separate well. Stock has been rising.

15. Chris Henry, West Virginia, 6-4, 197. Big, athletic; has exceptional hands. Has the ability to get downfield. Is deceptively fast. A junior; is undisciplined, unpolished. Does not compete for the ball as well as he should. Has baggage. Boom-or-bust type.

16. Craphonso Thorpe, Florida State, 6-0 7/8, 188. Was among top prospects entering the 2004 season, but did not play up to that level. Has not been the same since breaking a leg in November 2003. At one point was an explosive vertical threat. Was quick in and out of cuts. Hands are good. Is thin. Could show more toughness in traffic. Has not been consistent.

17. Steve Savoy, Utah, 5-10 7/8, 192. Productive junior with athleticism. Is a possession receiver. Adjusts to the ball well and catches consistently. Has functional speed, but is not a burner. Does his best work underneath zones. Runs good routes. Tough. Will block.

18. Craig Bragg, UCLA, 6-0 5/8, 196. Straight-line speedster with a good build. Is highly productive. Good route-runner with a feel for getting open. Makes plays in traffic. Lacks quickness in and out of breaks. Hands are average. Has potential as a returner.

19. Taylor Stubblefield, Purdue, 5-11 1/4, 174. Highly productive in college; finds a way to get the job done. Steady and consistent. Is undersized and does not have great speed, strength or athleticism. Has short-area quickness, and separates well. Runs great routes. Hands are outstanding. Would make a fine nickel receiver.

20. Airese Currie, Clemson, 5-10 1/2, 186. Vertical threat who runs faster in pads than on the track. Has separation ability. Has average size, quickness and explosiveness. Does not run great routes. Hands are inconsistent. Former track star who needs refinement. Has upside.

21. Dante Ridgeway, Ball State, 5-11 1/8, 212. Productive, with athleticism and quickness. Has a feel for getting open. Is explosive. Fluid runner; has good, not great speed. Hands are solid. Is more of a possession receiver. Came out a year early.

22. Brandon Jones, Oklahoma, 6-1 3/8, 210. Big, fast prospect who does not play as fast as he times. Competes for the ball. Plays physically. Hands are inconsistent. Doesn't have ideal separation ability. Former baseball player who was drafted by the Yankees.

23. Josh Davis, Marshall, 6-0 3/8, 191. Possession guy who lacks quickness and elusiveness. Runs smooth routes and finds the holes in zones. Can separate to get open. Makes tough catches, but drops some easy ones. A poor man's Darius Watts.

24. LeRon McCoy, Indiana (Pa.), 6-1 1/2, 211. Speed guy with good size and athleticism. Hands are good. Lacks top quickness coming in and out of breaks. Is raw and has not faced top competition. Did well at Combine. Has baggage that likely will impact his draft stock.

25. Jamaica Rector, Northwestern Missouri State, 5-9 3/4, 186. Is athletic; has drawn comparisons to Troy Brown. Has good quickness. Runs nice routes. Hands are decent. Could be a good slot receiver. Has been productive against small-school competition. Is undersized. Also is a good return man.

26. Lance Moore, Toledo, 5-9 1/4, 177. Quick; runs nice routes. Has been productive. Undersized and lacks play strength. Small target. Would be a good slot receiver. Good return man.

27. J.R. Russell, Louisville, 6-3 1/8, 206. Big, physically impressive. Knows how to use his size and strength to his advantage. Can get open in the red zone. Lacks speed and quickness. Is a long strider and possession receiver.

28. Roydell Williams, Tulane, 6-0 3/8, 187. Possession receiver who is put together well. Lacks top end speed. Hands are good. Works to get open. Performed well at the Senior Bowl.

29. Larry Brackins, Pearl River Community College, 6-4 3/8, 205. Big, athletic; has very good hands. Dominated against junior college competition. Did not help himself with his Combine workouts and interviews. Lacks burst. Return man.

30. Paris Warren, Utah, 6-0, 219. Possession receiver who knows how to get open. Works zone defenses well. Crafty. Hands are real good. Lacks speed.

31. Charles Frederick, Washington, 5-10 3/8, 194. Athletic; has burst to separate. Has more quickness than speed. Is elusive and can run after the catch. Did not run well at the Combine. Has some baggage.

32. Chase Lyman, California, 6-2 5/8, 217. Consistent possession player with nice size. Lacks speed. Hands are great. Was injured during the season and did not have a lot of production. Performed well at the Combine. Durability is an issue.

33. Fred Amey, Sacramento State, 5-19 7/8, 186. Stocky, muscular. Has short-area quickness. Is more quick than fast. Try-hard receiver; has some ability to adjust to the ball. Got himself noticed at the East-West Shrine game.

34. Geoff McArthur, California, 6-0, 199. Well built; can get open. Possession receiver. Is quick in and out of cuts. Hands are good. Runs nice routes. Struggles getting off press at times.

35. Tommy Manus, Morgan State, 6-3 7/8, 222. Big guy from a small school. Hands are good. Can leap. Plays physically. Could make a nice possession receiver if he gets in the right situation. Lacks top speed. Struggles to get off jams. Developmental prospect.

36. Chauncey Stovall, Florida State, 6-0 3/4, 221. Physical; is built more like a running back. Shows good concentration and hand-eye coordination. Runs nice routes. Possession receiver; lacks speed. Separation skills are in question.

37. Dan Sheldon, Northern Illinois, 5-8 7/8, 179. Undersized, but is athletic and quick. Can get yards after the catch. Has some speed. Lacks strength. Pretty good returner -- that could be his ticket to the NFL. Durability is a concern.

38. Efrem Hill, Samford, 6-0 1/2, 179. Solid hands are his best attribute. Is crafty. Slender and lacks play strength. Is not a blazer. Came on late in the season. Has not faced top competition.

39. Chad Owens, Hawaii, 5-7 3/8, 183. Very quick, athletic. Better prospect as a returner than receiver. Aggressive; will take some chances. Undersized, and is a small target. Hands are average.

40. Reggie Harrell, Texas Christian, 6-2 3/4, 214. Productive college player with size. Physical; uses his strength and size to make plays. Shows very good hands. Isn't exceptionally quick or fast.

41. Tony Madison, Kansas State, 6-1 1/2, 213. Big kid with skill. Can run. Was not real productive. Might be more of an athlete than player. Hands are questionable.
[/font]

dwmyers

Reaction score
Things I'll note about the War Room. When they're wrong, they're wrong bigtime. The starting left tackle for the Pats was regarded as undraftable by them and they rated Kris Jenkins as a 7th rounder and "mentally unable" to play pro ball. This, after Kris's awesome combine workout and his 30ish Wonderlic.

They were also the folks who -insisted- LaDanian Tomlinson was unable to run the ball up the middle.

They're scouts. And like many scouts, they're often wrong.

David.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Dale said:
Curious why they have Edwards so low.
It sounded like they were just falling into the trap of since theres never been a great U of Michigan WR there never will be.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Terrance Mathis sounds like Alexander Wright... or Featherstone.

Give me some Vincent Jackson. Guys who played basketball and are 6'4" with good hands. A guy like that could really turn into an Irvin/Keyshawn possession reciever.

Also, if he is undrafted, I want the Boys to sign Craphonso. He will probably never make it, but I dearly love his name.

Pointguard01

Reaction score
I hope others think like these scouts. Edwards would definately be avaliable at #11 if Edwards is the 4th best WR.
:banghead:

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Dale said:
Curious why they have Edwards so low.
I think Edwards really reminds me of Antonio Bryant. Not the personallity, but the way he plays and makes the circus catches. If he plays with a good head on his shoulders, we can only dream of what AB could have been. :(

playit12

Reaction score
21. Dante Ridgeway, Ball State is my official diamond in the rough player. He had some of the best hands and route running at the combine. His speed was pretty solid too and he was always focused on the instructors. He ran a complex offense in college and seems the most willing player at the position.

playit12

Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
I think Edwards really reminds me of Antonio Bryant. Not the personallity, but the way he plays and makes the circus catches. If he plays with a good head on his shoulders, we can only dream of what AB could have been. :(

He reminds me a bit of Joey Porter. He can be difficult to "get into" games. I think he will always be someone that has flashes but also drops a lot of passes and can get shut down by good covereage. If you try to compare him to for instance a Larry Fitzgerald from last year, you can see just how much of a step down he is from where he could be.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Great List not sure if I agree with Edwards at 4 but exhaustive list none the less.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
But in their draft magazine, they have Edwards ranked No. 1. Go figure.

Jed_70

Reaction score
playit12 said:
21. Dante Ridgeway, Ball State is my official diamond in the rough player. He had some of the best hands and route running at the combine. His speed was pretty solid too and he was always focused on the instructors. He ran a complex offense in college and seems the most willing player at the position.

I like Ridgeway as well. I think he'll be a nice pickup for someone in the 3rd or 4th round.

I like Mark Clayton as well. He's a projected 1st rounder, so he's not considered a diamond in the rough. I watched Oklahoma play several times and I noticed he almost always catches the ball with his hands and he'll fight for the ball, which will save his QB an INT or two througout the course of a season. I've read a few articles and Mock reviews on him and the only negative they come up with is that he doesn't have protoypical WR size.

RESIN8

Reaction score
32. Chase Lyman, California, 6-2 5/8, 217. Consistent possession player with nice size. Lacks speed. Hands are great. Was injured during the season and did not have a lot of production. Performed well at the Combine. Durability is an issue.

this is hilarious.... Lacks speed. the guy runs in the 4.4's coming off a knee injury. while they have Savoy and warren having the same notes, yet they ran 4.7's???

royhitshard

Reaction score
I agree with all of them. I don't think Edwards is as good as advertised. He had a good year, but doesn't fight for the ball like he should.

ghst187

Reaction score
Jed_70 said:
I like Mark Clayton as well. He's a projected 1st rounder, so he's not considered a diamond in the rough. I watched Oklahoma play several times and I noticed he almost always catches the ball with his hands and he'll fight for the ball, which will save his QB an INT or two througout the course of a season. I've read a few articles and Mock reviews on him and the only negative they come up with is that he doesn't have protoypical WR size.

Also, I don't think any WR from this draft will be as dangerous AFTER the catch. He gets to his top speed in a flash, quick, darting, good change of direction. I like Clayton, I think he'd be in our 3 WR rotation by opening day and starting once Glenn inevitably gets hurt.
I also like Terence Murphy quite a bit. Phenom athlete with good hands. Average size, but I think he'll be a better pro than collegiate and a steal in the mid to late second round if he falls that far.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
chicago JK said:
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WR rankings: Williams towers over the field

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/voi...i/20050320.html

An analytical look at the 2005 wide receiver class:

1. Mike Williams, 6-4 5/8, 229, Southern California. Towering player who will present a mismatch against every defender he faces. Catches balls when he's covered. A freak. Hands are really good. Can make circus catches. Adjusts well to the pass. Has excellent body control. Great red-zone weapon. Can be deadly on routes over the middle. Has good strength. Will run over smaller defenders, but does not run exceptionally well after the catch. Runs average routes. Lacks short-area quickness to create separation. Does not play very fast. Played two years in college; sat out last season in a draft eligibility dispute. Lacks polished, but appears to be mature. Could become a tight end, but his heart is not in blocking.
[/font]
You're preaching to the choir my man, the freakin' choir..... :D

Thanks for the info. though and btw, after Tuna is through w/ MW, he'll be the BEST blocking WR you've ever seen..... :cool:

Silverstar

Reaction score
I'd draft Bradley or Murphy in the second round. Bradley is taller and a little faster, but Murphy can also return kicks and BP loves that.

Both are upgrades over Morgan

playit12

Reaction score
RESIN8 said:

this is hilarious.... Lacks speed. the guy runs in the 4.4's coming off a knee injury. while they have Savoy and warren having the same notes, yet they ran 4.7's???

Man I'm not sure what the deal with Savoy is. I watched him play twice and both times he had no problems getting behind the secondary. Perhaps it's the motion offense, but I just think they kid has got some wheels. By the way I think the Utah track must have been real slow. It says Savoy ran 4.58 and 4.65 at the combine and 4.77 and 4.70 at the pro day. Warren was in the 4.7s too. Perhaps it was just a real slow track.

Maybe he's just a kid that has good football speed and bad track speed. Either way, he won't get drafted now.