Tyler Smith an anchor

RonWashington

Reaction score
I was watching the Rams field goal contest and one of the impressive Cowboys interviewed during the game was Smith . The man will anchor this hopefully younger better OL for yrs.

I didn’t have the Cowboys drafting him round one . Out of Tulsa , not exactly an NFL factory do you think if Dallas passed on him he falls to round 2 . Smith & Parsons the types of players you need for a SB.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Interesting question. There weren't any OT's drafted after Smith at 24 and before the Cowboys drafted Sam Williams at 56.

But it's hard for me to believe he would have still been there at 56 had the Cowboys passed on him at 24.
I believe there were a handful of teams hoping the Cowboys would pass on Tyron Smith. They were going to make moves to move up late into Round 1 to get him.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Interesting question. There weren't any OT's drafted after Smith at 24 and before the Cowboys drafted Sam Williams at 56.

But it's hard for me to believe he would have still been there at 56 had the Cowboys passed on him at 24.

That’s an interesting take . I agree he doesn’t fall that far to the Sam Williams pick but it’s quite possible he goes in round 2 if McClay and the scouts hadn’t nailed it round one .

RonWashington

Reaction score
The Lions with Sewell and Hutchinson have the same type picks and players , first rounders that you need to be SB contenders .

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
Its a decent question and refreshing compared to the usual threads so well played.

Drafts merge in my head over time and it's tough to remember with certainty but I believe the Chiefs wanted to move up in round 1 for him.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
There is no university that has a monopoly on OL. They can come from Sonoma State to Central State. Tulsa is big compared to those schools.

RonWashington

Reaction score
There is no university that has a monopoly on OL. They can come from Sonoma State to Central State. Tulsa is big compared to those schools.

You’re right about that OL can come from any school . And Tulsa against the competition it plays against is always respectable , it’s given SMU in Dallas fits . I just don’t recall a-lot of first rounders out of Tulsa but the Cowboys nailed this pick .

blueblood70

Reaction score

That is the problem with the Cowboys when you're constantly picking the bottom five of the draft it's like you're picking in the next round and guys are going to be taking before you can get them so sometimes you overdraft like you get a guy that looks like he's a second round pick but really he's a third round pick because of where you're picking because if you do not pick the guy you had on your board you're probably going to lose him... That's a conundrum for team winning 12 games 3 years in row and 2 division tiles, pushes you down the draft boards.