Uncapped year= no FAs (ESPN last night)

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
On "4 Quarters" last night, they had on the "Washington Times" beat reporter who covers the Skins. Some interesting comments:

--They (the Skins) really can't cut anyone who makes serious dough (like Arrington) because the immediate cap hit would be just as bad, or worse, than keeping them. He can't think of any players they could cut who would actually save them money. They're probably going to have to get a lot of players to restructure. (Looks like the Boy Blunder's "clever" ways to spread out money is finally coming back to bite him.)

--This one really interested me. The reporter was asked about what Snyder would do next year if there was no cap. Wouldn't he be a big spender? The reporter's answer is one I hadn't thought of--that there really will be no FAs next year (at least not any of any consequence). Why? Well, all contracts revert to 6 years instead of 4 years. Plus, with no cap, teams could spend whatever they wanted to keep their good players. So, they're not going to cut anyone of any consequence. The upshot is that owners with dough (Snyder...& yes, Jerruh) really wouldn't have any name FAs out there to buy.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Kittymama said:
On "4 Quarters" last night, they had on the "Washington Times" beat reporter who covers the Skins. Some interesting comments:

--They (the Skins) really can't cut anyone who makes serious dough (like Arrington) because the immediate cap hit would be just as bad, or worse, than keeping them. He can't think of any players they could cut who would actually save them money. They're probably going to have to get a lot of players to restructure. (Looks like the Boy Blunder's "clever" ways to spread out money is finally coming back to bite him.)

--This one really interested me. The reporter was asked about what Snyder would do next year if there was no cap. Wouldn't he be a big spender? The reporter's answer is one I hadn't thought of--that there really will be no FAs next year (at least not any of any consequence). Why? Well, all contracts revert to 6 years instead of 4 years. Plus, with no cap, teams could spend whatever they wanted to keep their good players. So, they're not going to cut anyone of any consequence. The upshot is that owners with dough (Snyder...& yes, Jerruh) really wouldn't have any name FAs out there to buy.

I don't think that the contracts revert to 6 years but you will have to have 6 years of service instead of 4 to become a FA. Thus it would reduce the number of FA's in the "pool".

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
I don't think that the contracts revert to 6 years but you will have to have 6 years of service instead of 4 to become a FA. Thus it would reduce the number of FA's in the "pool".
Yes, that's what I meant. Just didn't express it well.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Also the owners are threatening a lockout in 2007 and the PA is threatening to decertify and take the whole thing to court.

I really don't see the owners even accepting a non cap year. If there is no deal made next season than there will be no football. :cry:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Kittymama said:

They could save money by cutting Jansen and Washington, IIRC. It wouldn't be a lot or enough to justify cutting such quality players, but they will almost be forced to be cut if for some reason they can't get the players to restructure their contracts to get their cap numbers down.

Rich.......

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
In my opinion, that would put us in an even better position. Teams who are young and have cap right now would be able to invest in good young talent and lock it up for a long period of time. Teams who are cap strapped would be forced to get under the cap for the up coming season and have little ability to sign players once the cap was lifted.

I doubt it would play out that way. I honestly don't see the NFL going for more then a season or two without a cap of some kind but hey, I'm good with it the other way.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Kittymama said:
Well, all contracts revert to 6 years instead of 4 years. Plus, with no cap, teams could spend whatever they wanted to keep their good players. So, they're not going to cut anyone of any consequence. The upshot is that owners with dough (Snyder...& yes, Jerruh) really wouldn't have any name FAs out there to buy.

I don't totally agree with that. Players will have to have been in the league for 6 years instead of 4 in order to be a FA. Also, teams will have no restrictions on them in trying to sign their own FA's.

But, with no cap, I think many of the eligible FA's will want to test the open market rather than just resign with their current team. And, look at how Snyder has spent on his coaching staff. There is no cap there but he is way overspending for assistants and guys like Saunders and Williams are opting to be coordinators rather than a HC elsewhere where they would make less.
So, even without a cap, some idiot like Danny may totally outbid for certain players above and beyond what that guys current team is willing to offer, even though the sky would be the limit. Some teams will still be prudent while others will throw the salary structure totally out of whack.

So in other words, even with no cap and teams being able to spend what the want for their own FA's, if Dannyboy wants someone bad enough, he has proven he will overpay to get him. So I think there will be playe movement next year due to players wanting to test the market and idiots like Snyder who will be outlandish in his spending.

sago1

Reaction score
Has anybody noticed how quiet the Skins are being on who they are going to cut? We've seen other teams make some cuts but not the Skins. We do know they have restructured at least 2 players' contracts. You better believe they will try to come up with some gimmick to keep all there starters and then some, but do wonder if the "master" who ruled Colts couldn't use a signing bonus or whatever it was called to circumvent the CBA. That ruling could give Skins pause on how they plan to handle the situation. They've got less then 8 hours to get under the cap; then NFL will allow them 7 more days to cut necessary players or restructure. After that, NFL will begin voiding contracts. Think I go look at ExtremeSkins to see what they are saying. Will report back anything interesting.

In addition to Skins having serious cap problems, there are also the Raiders, Broncos, Jets & KC. 3 other teams (don't remember who) also about $10M over the cap but should be able to deal with it. The way I figure that will be 8 teams who won't be big players in FA & who knows if Cards or Packers will do much anyway.

BTW: At least the Cowboys don't have to make any cuts. I think Glover was foregone conclusion given he more suited play in 4-3 and this was last year of his contract. Also, it appears we don't have to pay Larry Allen his bonus until sometime in April, so there time to work things out & also see who we sign in FA.