Uncertainty. the 2018 Dallas Cowboys

cmoney23

Reaction score
We are in a horrible position with Dak, the coaching staff, the skill positions, and this offense. That horrible position is uncertainty.

To me, this coaching staff has run its course. The offense was “broken” before and the ownership forced Linehan on Garrett and that Band-Aid worked for a few years, but without Romo to help translate this offense into success on the field it has floundered and is dying (if not dead already)

The FO has failed, yet again, to put a competent core around its QB. Dak showed promise and has a good amount of talent, but no QB in the league can be successful without competent skill position players. I look at this offseason as a big red flag. You knew that Dez was on the chopping block. You didn’t land a suitable number one option in FA and when the draft fell perfectly to select the consensus number 1 WR late in the first round, they passed for a MLB. Not saying that LVE wasn’t a good pick or that he won’t be a good player. But when you have a young QB you have to build your team around him.

I look at the success that Calvin Ridley is having in ATL and wish that he was here to help Dak. Outside of WR’s I then look at the TE position. Wit was getting up in years and ultimately retired. Behind him, we had nothing on the roster of note, besides a hope and a prayer in the form of a late round pick, Rico Gathers, a former college basketball player. The FO could have brought in Jimmy Graham who ultimately signed a very friendly deal with the Packers. But the FO’s lack of foresight into this transition is, sadly, par for the course.

The final and most detrimental uncertainty lies with Dak Prescott.

I’ve said it for years, being average in the NFL is poison. You miss out on top-flight talent and you are in a chasing mode so you overpay for players to try and “get over the hump”... usually without much luck. We are in that position right now with Dak, because I don’t think anyone knows what we have in Dak. I also don’t think you can make that conclusion without fixing the coaching staff and building a team around him.

I think we are stuck this year. We have little-to-no options. But hopefully this year’s failure will weed out the coaching staff and we can make a few moves to build a team around Dak next season. If that goes poorly we will be able to go on in on a top flight rookie QB in the draft.

...Tua Tagovailoa should be coming out that year.

Last edited:

CPanther95

Reaction score
It's not the uncertainty, or even the losses, that is most concerning. It's the complete absence of any glitz & glamour that has to be causing Jerry heartburn.

Look for another Hublot-type announcement coming soon.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
We are in a horrible position with Dak, the coaching staff, the skill positions, and this offense. That horrible position is uncertainty.

To me, this coaching staff has run its course. The offense was “broken” before and the ownership forced Linehan on Garrett and that Band-Aid worked for a few years, but without Romo to help translate this offense into success on the field it has floundered and is dying (if not dead already)

The FO has failed, yet again, to put a competent core around its QB. Dak showed promise and has a good amount of talent, but no QB in the league can be successful without competent skill position players. I look at this offseason as a big red flag. You knew that Dez was on the chopping block. You didn’t land a suitable number one option in FA and when the draft fell perfectly to select the consensus number 1 WR late in the first round, they passed for a MLB. Not saying that LVE wasn’t a good pick or that he won’t be a good player. But when you have a young QB you have to build your team around him.

I look at the success that Calvin Ridley is having in ATL and wish that he was here to help Dak. Outside of WR’s I then look at the TE position. Wit was getting up in years and ultimately retired. Behind him, we had nothing on the roster of note, besides a hope and a prayer in the form of a late round pick, Rico Gathers, a former college basketball player. The FO could have brought in Jimmy Graham who ultimately signed a very friendly deal with the Packers. But the FO’s lack of foresight into this transition is, sadly, par for the course.

I’ve said it for years, being average in the NFL is poison. You miss out on top-flight talent and you are in a chasing mode so you overpay for players to try and “get over the hump”... usually without much luck. We are in that position right now with Dak, because I don’t think anyone knows what we have in Dak. I also don’t think you can make that conclusion without fixing the coaching staff and building a team around him.

I think we are stuck this year. We have little-to-no options. But hopefully this year’s failure will weed out the coaching staff and we can make a few moves to build a team around Dak next season. If that goes poorly we will be able to go on in on a top flight rookie QB in the draft.

Would Ridley look the same in Dallas this year. I venture to say not. Atlanta has a better scheme, better QB and Julio on the other side.

cmoney23

Reaction score
Would Ridley look the same in Dallas this year. I venture to say not. Atlanta has a better scheme, better QB and Julio on the other side.
11 recp. 210 yards and 4 tds as the 3rd receiving option is talent. I would think he could get MORE opportunities here playing as a number two option.
Gallup has been, up to this point, disappointing only catching 3 balls for 31 yards in 3 games.
Moreover, it isn't so much Ridley V Gallup or how good is Ridley. It's that you have a young developmental QB and you draft a LB... that doesn't help him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not over yet. Just a bad start. Let’s see if we get a horror show Sunday.

Yeah, if we win, get to 2-2, still a chance to turn it around.
But how many times / games have we said this in the past 8 years. Other than 2 of those playoff years. Only to say, next year we go deeper in the playoffs. But didn't.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yeah, if we win, get to 2-2, still a chance to turn it around.
But how many times / games have we said this in the past 8 years. Other than 2 of those playoff years. Only to say, next year we go deeper in the playoffs. But didn't.
Gonna happen this year. Or there will be changes. Players have to turn this around.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
reallythere Is not a lot of uncertainty about the 2018 dallas cowboys they are a bad football team with a staff that has no idea how to turn things around

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Anytime this team goes 2-2? It’s the kiss of death. So even in a win this week,I already know they’re aren’t headed anywhere more than where they’ve been before.

GenoT

Reaction score

Appreciate the time and thought you put into typing this, but...

Three games into any NFL season, it’s pretty much still uncertain.

kramskoi

Reaction score

You have a quarterback playing like the fourth rounder he is...and he no longer has stellar line play commensurate with 2016 to cover his deficiencies...and may never have that again considering the circumstances with Smith and Frederick...with Collins playing out of position. Prescott is risk-averse and he is not a team-carrying quarterback. I think he was installed prematurely on the febrile fascinations of many caught up in the hype of an improbable season. Since then, the line has regressed, defenses have dissected him and receiving talent has left the building.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
11 recp. 210 yards and 4 tds as the 3rd receiving option is talent. I would think he could get MORE opportunities here playing as a number two option.
Gallup has been, up to this point, disappointing only catching 3 balls for 31 yards in 3 games.
Moreover, it isn't so much Ridley V Gallup or how good is Ridley. It's that you have a young developmental QB and you draft a LB... that doesn't help him.

Here ridley would be double covered more than he is now. Right now he gets to beat single coverage and has an accurate QB. Here he would draw more attention, a safety over the top and their best cover corner and add that dak can't throw as accurate at Matty Ice. Yes he would give us a better wide receiver, no it wouldn't help all that much. People assume someone else would be more open or get the ball more but Dak is missing the open opportunities he is getting with these current guys. Fix that and problem solved. Without LVE the hawks would have been running all over us once Lee went out, the bleeding would have been much much worse.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score

I agree with most of what you say, but in all fairness, the FO had tried to draft Witten's replacement for several drafts in a row. It never quite worked out. And people were up in arms that we continued to draft TEs. So I think Witten's retirement simply was bad timing.