Video: Undisputed:Time for McCarthy to call plays?

khiladi

Reaction score
Kellen is in way over his head. The only shining light was for a brief moment in time he decided to keep running behind Zach Martin. Maybe there is some light. Then he calls that idiotic reverse that lost like thirty yards, completely blowing a shot at a win with a third string QB from James Madison..

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's not part of Jerry's master plan to have McCarthy right the ship, then take over again with his next puppet Moore....

Whoever thinks he has given up on that dream over a few losses isnt paying attention.
Seriously, I believe Jerry’s plan all along with the Mac hire was similar to the Wade hire. Kellen Moore would be Jerry’s new genius in the making since the Garrett experiment failed.

Jerry seems to have some weird obsession with finding some young diamond in the rough HC no one else could see so he’s seen as some football savant that sees what others can’t. Instead of just hiring the guy who gives us the absolute best chance to win.

I swear, some expert in psychology could do a study on the weird psychological profile of a multi-billionaire who has more insecurities than a 13 year old.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Such a weird narrative that Kellen Moore is an issue this season. The offense was just fine before we lost Dak. I'm not sure what hero you guys are looking for to pilot Ben DiNucci/Gilbert Garrett successfully through the season but good luck finding them.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Your favorite tag team doing what it does best.

I have been wanting to see McCarthy call the offense from Day One.

I think while we are analyzing this team from jox to sox..

I think we need to get a look at whether or not McCarthy IS ANY GOOD running an offense anymore.

It's been said we are going to run a WCO under Big Mike and that that decision was held back becuz it would be smoother for Dak and maintain continuity for Dak and Moore for 2020.

Dak is gone. Moore was been unable to win with Dalton or DiNucchi so far. Dalton is history with us with his concuss and now the virus.

We need to take Rush and begin the WCO installation. We could not have a better time to do it than now. Just consider the rest of the year as an extended pre-season and let's just see what happens?

We need to quit pretending we are contending for the NFC East.

That is meaningless for a team that is supposedly a SB contender 2 months ago but now stripped to the bone with injuries and staff problems.

I say let's get on with turning this team inside out and let's see who worth keeping.

Including the HC and his analytical methods of winning.

I think it's all a mirage. McCarthy has brought nothing to this team except Diddley.

Don't you guys want to know more before we take the next draft and start designing the rebuild before we really know what we have in McCarthy?

What's that phrase Jaylon uses?

Eyes Wide Open ready?

Comments?

IMHO Yes over the offseason maybe he and KM have a talk and figure out whos calling plays and why

However,

Kellen as much as any young player on the team NEEDS these last games to further learn to call games , not only with more balance and situational football but also in times where you are shorthanded like we are now..Best OJT you can get is in these times..

this is 8 live games to get players and coaches some times to work out kinks. Why does MM need to call plays the rest of an all but written off season?

I'm sure some behind the scenes talks will be had spin into next season who will call plays and how much of the WCO will be further integrated with a full offseason to implement it..

blueblood70

Reaction score
That's not part of Jerry's master plan to have McCarthy right the ship, then take over again with his next puppet Moore....

Whoever thinks he has given up on that dream over a few losses isnt paying attention.
its great teaching lesson when the coaches room meetings are going over the game tape, MM can show KM where hes gone wrong how to possibly do it better next time..KM needs this as much as young players are getting valuable play time in a lost season..

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All probably true.

It all seems backward to me but that's par for the course with how we do things.

Having Moore is all nice and comfortable for Jerrah and Stephen. And I understand McCarthy wanting to attend to running the entire team at the beginning.

But after things have settled and the bottlenecks are identified..Big Mike should slide over and get more hands on with calling the offense. Moore can stay and learn from Mike but Mike really needs to show his players and his coaches and the fans he can still be effective being the brain of the team.

Continuing to point to his record in GB is not really an answer to why he will succeed here. As some have pointed out..he had big issues in GB and was fired.

If Jerrah is behind keeping Moore calling plays..which Moore insists was his idea..then let's see if McCarthy is the better OC or not. If not..

Then maybe we don't need McCarthy. Promote Moore and just move on.

Something needs to get clarity on this team. It has just dissolved under McCarthy in his first year. And where we thought we had solid talent and an identity..

We now have zip. Hard to believe it's all virus related or all injury related or all coaching related.

At some point the players have to regroup and play for themselves.

Well i think in some ways it was good for Mike not to drastically change what did work against weak opponents. We did score 31+ points 8 times last year so the offense isn't a total failure it just needs to be tweaked esp when things aren't going well. I expect some changes this offseason but not a drastic change in offensive philosophy.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Well i think in some ways it was good for Mike not to drastically change what did work against weak opponents. We did score 31+ points 8 times last year so the offense isn't a total failure it just needs to be tweaked esp when things aren't going well. I expect some changes this offseason but not a drastic change in offensive philosophy.
Hope you are wrong to some extent.

I am tired of falling behind 14 pts in the first Qt.

Then having to rally hopelessly behind and abandon the running game to do it.

I prefer keeping the score closer and see if we can get a late rally and take our chances.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hope you are wrong to some extent.

I am tired of falling behind 14 pts in the first Qt.

Then having to rally hopelessly behind and abandon the running game to do it.

I prefer keeping the score closer and see if we can get a late rally and take our chances.

Part of falling behind is they keep running Zeke for 3 yards a pop when pollard or a wr get nearly 6-8 yards a touch. Mike doesn't need to call plays to help fix that part. He has a hand in developing the game plan and maybe he needs to demand more in this regard.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Part of falling behind is they keep running Zeke for 3 yards a pop when pollard or a wr get nearly 6-8 yards a touch. Mike doesn't need to call plays to help fix that part. He has a hand in developing the game plan and maybe he needs to demand more in this regard.

You may want to rethink this take. Pollard's ypc is identical to Zeke's at 3.9. Given that he's the change of pace back who never has to do any heavy lifting this is pathetic.

What I don't understand about the whole "McCarthy needs to call plays" thing is why people just can't accept that we are using more of Kellen Moore's playbook than we are McCarthy's and as such McCarthy's level of familiarity with the offense will not allow him to call plays effectively. He would be fumbling around on the playsheet and we'd waste all our timeouts in the first and third quarters because we couldn't get the call in in time. McCarthy has yet to digest the entire playbook so we need to get over him calling plays this year. It's something to think about in 2021 but for this year there is no way in hell. I think if he did have a full grasp of the playbook he would have vetoed the double reverse pass after we had run the ball 7 straight times to get just outside the red zone. Our line was finally kicking the collective butts of Philly front and we let them off the hook by getting cute.. I guarantee you when McCarthy heard that play called he had no idea it was going to be some gadget trickeration when we were in position to seize control of the game.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I just look at things as a hands on proposition.

Each playcaller has different tendencies and will respond to the same thing differently.

Moore by now is getting scouted really well after playing him last year and now this year as our playcaller.

Frankly..he pretty much is average or below. Dak bails him out a lot with his athletic talent. Moore is not a strength. He is a place holder using the old offense.

If Mike calls the plays using his experience exploiting defenses..there should be NO COMPARISON b/w the 2.

McCarthy should blow Moore away. We should be able to attack better with our offensive strength throwing the ball.

The WCO is about passing and I think Cooper is not the right type receiver for the WCO. He is not very physical and does not break tackles. Cee Dee will be the #1 receiver shortly and Cooper may be finding less time during games.

Especially if Dak is not resigned Cooper is expendable at his price.

This would be a good thing becuz it would allow us to trade him for rebuilding the defense along with Dak's contract savings.

No?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You may want to rethink this take. Pollard's ypc is identical to Zeke's at 3.9. Given that he's the change of pace back who never has to do any heavy lifting this is pathetic. No and i'm not saying Pollard is better but there are times he is doubling what zeke is putting up like last week and should have seen a bigger work load. Zeke will always have a role but when he struggles then you have to pass or use pollard more.

What I don't understand about the whole "McCarthy needs to call plays" thing is why people just can't accept that we are using more of Kellen Moore's playbook than we are McCarthy's and as such McCarthy's level of familiarity with the offense will not allow him to call plays effectively. He would be fumbling around on the playsheet and we'd waste all our timeouts in the first and third quarters because we couldn't get the call in in time. McCarthy has yet to digest the entire playbook so we need to get over him calling plays this year. It's something to think about in 2021 but for this year there is no way in hell. I think if he did have a full grasp of the playbook he would have vetoed the double reverse pass after we had run the ball 7 straight times to get just outside the red zone. Our line was finally kicking the collective butts of Philly front and we let them off the hook by getting cute.. I guarantee you when McCarthy heard that play called he had no idea it was going to be some gadget trickeration when we were in position to seize control of the game. That was basically what I said earlier.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just look at things as a hands on proposition.

Each playcaller has different tendencies and will respond to the same thing differently.

Moore by now is getting scouted really well after playing him last year and now this year as our playcaller.

Frankly..he pretty much is average or below. Dak bails him out a lot with his athletic talent. Moore is not a strength. He is a place holder using the old offense.

If Mike calls the plays using his experience exploiting defenses..there should be NO COMPARISON b/w the 2.

McCarthy should blow Moore away. We should be able to attack better with our offensive strength throwing the ball.

The WCO is about passing and I think Cooper is not the right type receiver for the WCO. He is not very physical and does not break tackles. Cee Dee will be the #1 receiver shortly and Cooper may be finding less time during games.

Especially if Dak is not resigned Cooper is expendable at his price.

This would be a good thing becuz it would allow us to trade him for rebuilding the defense along with Dak's contract savings.

No?

Well if you use the Dak bailed out Moore statement like then then you also must concede Rodgers bailed out Mike for years.

It's simply too late for Mike to install his WCO this year. Maybe if we get a normal offseason that happens next year we shall see. But as of now that is not our play book. He can assist in game plan and help make a few changes/wrinkles in plays but you can't make sweeping changes now so even if he calls plays he has to call the plays moore has been using not his normal WCO plays. What he can do is help Moore know when to call such an such type of play. Thats what they talk about all week and that is where Moore needs the most help especially when things do not work.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

I'm cool with giving Pollard more touches when he's got it rolling. I have always been a proponent of rewarding production. But the coaches also know that Pollard is far more likely to get your QB destroyed so it's a catch-22 when you absolutely have to pass. There is also the simple fact that Zeke has been in the offense three years longer and simply knows it better. The coaches simply feel more comfortable that on any given play Zeke will do what he's supposed to do. There is simply no overstating the importance of this. When guys blow assignments in practice they absolutely will not get to run that play in the game.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm cool with giving Pollard more touches when he's got it rolling. I have always been a proponent of rewarding production. But the coaches also know that Pollard is far more likely to get your QB destroyed so it's a catch-22 when you absolutely have to pass. There is also the simple fact that Zeke has been in the offense three years longer and simply knows it better. The coaches simply feel more comfortable that on any given play Zeke will do what he's supposed to do. There is simply no overstating the importance of this. When guys blow assignments in practice they absolutely will not get to run that play in the game.

I don't think it is a matter of blown assignments. Zeke is a highly paid RB who used to be really productive so coaches lean on that way too much. Take the last game. Pollard only got 7 touches to zekes 19 but pollard was twice as productive as zeke. Not saying Pollard needed all or even 19 touches but probably should have had 12 maybe 15 touches especially in some situations. Zeke is not a guy who even tries to make defenders miss, but he will almost always gain a few yards. that type of back could be best used in short yardage and goal line situations while scalling back his normal carries just a bit. When zeke is running well, no reason to split carries. Sometimes in the past both ran well, allows us to pass less which is perfect. But they need to adjust what they are doing based on who is having success that day. It's about moving the chains, doesn't matter who moves them for us just that we keep moving.

sideon

Reaction score
I don't see his 'gifts' at all.

This excuse of letting Moore call everything is old.

Moore called this last game and his answers were run a bunch of HS plays.

I realize DiNooch is not QB material.

Cooper Rush is a much different matter. He knows this offense somewhat and can actually throw without sidearming it.

Will we win Sunday..nah.

I just want to see some progress on both sides of the ball.
The problem for Rush is that he is behind arguably the worst OL in football, and even if they were halfway healthy he won't have enough game experience to make a difference. The defense has no excuse to be historically bad, and while they were on the receiving end of some blowouts last year they weren't this bad. Now that they're getting healthy they may be able to beat the below average teams, but they don't stand a chance against any of the playoff bound teams.