Uninspired

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Just in response to one post: no one here is a casual fan.

With regard to this draft, if you add next year's pick from Cleveland into this draft, eg, McFadden...it's a heck of a draft.

rcaldw

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1481032 said:
Well that's because you're a casual fan, and this draft was NOT for "casual" fans, Dallas drafted purely on need and they do NOT need a overrated QB such as Quinn...

Anthony Spencer is hybrid catalytic speed rusher that our defense sorely needs to pair with D-Ware, not to mention getting a top 10 draft pick in 2008 by trading down 4 spots. The Cowboys addressed offensive line needs and got a fullback who will likely win the starting job along with a PR/WR in Stanback... And a 6'2/ speedster CB from Cal Poly that has the potential to be a starter in a few years....

So I would say that's a pretty boring draft to a "casual fan"...:rolleyes:

:), whatever. This "casual" fan would put his knowledge of the sport against yours any day, and I feel certain I will hold my own.

zeromaster

Reaction score
rcaldw;1480962 said:
Tony Romo might be the real thing, but he also might not be. Why not hedge your bets?

I know I'll probably get some negative responses from this, but I really don't care. I'm just being honest about how I feel about it, and I have to go with Goose on this one. I give it a D and I wish that Jerry would go to being just a great owner, and get a real GM to fun the football side of things.
Kudos for your honesty, but it was the defense that betrayed the boys in the playoffs. That's where weaknesses are exposed.

Look at the Mavericks: great regular season, now down 3-1, and I don't even care about n'Ba.

As for hedging bets, read my signature. For that matter, Dallas did hedge its bets, with 2 #1 picks in the next draft, one of them a very good bet to be top 5.

lostinomiya

Reaction score
yes, that casual fan comment was unwarranted and unjustified.

also, why would the vets have rebelled if we had drafted quinn?

rcaldw

Reaction score
Juke99;1481149 said:
Just in response to one post: no one here is a casual fan.

With regard to this draft, if you add next year's pick from Cleveland into this draft, eg, McFadden...it's a heck of a draft.

I hope you are right Juke. I feel that sometimes (maybe next year is that time), we will have to turn our attention in the draft to an impact player for offense. Maybe the QB/WR pick in this draft will pan out and make some impact. But just on the face of it, we have devoted twice as much attention to the defense in the last several drafts and it hasn't produced DRAMATIC results. (At least not in my view, as I watched Detroit beat us to end the regular season last year)

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Why do people still doubt/question Romo?

I was one of his biggest critics until the pre-season last year when he showed once again he can play and play extremely well in this league. Then everyone wondered how he would play in a real game. I'd say a 95 QB rating over the last half of the season was pretty dang good!

So why do people continue to think it's gonna strike midnight and all of a sudden Cinderella (Romo) is gonna turn out to be a dud?

Sure the kid has some things to improve upon, but the kid's got "IT" and I cannot wait until we see the improvement working with Wade and Jason is going to bring him.

The bottom line is there is NO WAY Jerry could have drafted Quinn. It would have RUINED THE ENTIRE CHEMISTRY OF OUR TEAM.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
rcaldw;1481179 said:
I hope you are right Juke. I feel that sometimes (maybe next year is that time), we will have to turn our attention in the draft to an impact player for offense. Maybe the QB/WR pick in this draft will pan out and make some impact. But just on the face of it, we have devoted twice as much attention to the defense in the last several drafts and it hasn't produced DRAMATIC results. (At least not in my view, as I watched Detroit beat us to end the regular season last year)

Well, we have two teams to root for this upcoming the season...the Cowboys and whoever plays the Browns.

If the Brown's pick is a high one, I think we'll finally see Jerry sit still and just make a pick...if it's a mid level one, strap yourself in because we're going to start making trades again.

I would have liked an offensive guy...BUT...given that this defense needs to be different than it's been these past four years (attacking vs contain) if Spencer turns out to be a pass rushing guy, we'll get some offense from the defense with turnovers and short fields.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;1481197 said:

I was one of his biggest critics until the pre-season last year when he showed once again he can play and play extremely well in this league. Then everyone wondered how he would play in a real game. I'd say a 95 QB rating over the last half of the season was pretty dang good!

So why do people continue to think it's gonna strike midnight and all of a sudden Cinderella (Romo) is gonna turn out to be a dud?

Sure the kid has some things to improve upon, but the kid's got "IT" and I cannot wait until we see the improvement working with Wade and Jason is going to bring him.

The bottom line is there is NO WAY Jerry could have drafted Quinn. It would have RUINED THE ENTIRE CHEMISTRY OF OUR TEAM.

Not only that. If Jerry drafted Quinn and Romo turns out to confirm what people thought of him his first 4 games, what are we going to do with Quinn? Let him get dusty? Hes not a Madden 2006 CD sitting under television.

We take this year, spend it on Romo. If he sucks and we lose many of games, we get two 1-12 draft picks next year. If he rocks, we continue with him and have two 3-32 draft picks. If he sucks and Quinn rocks the world then ok, we made a mistake. But QBs are a fickle commodity, what was the stat we heard earlier this week, 50% of QBs drafted in the first round turn out to be busts?

adamknite

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;1481223 said:
Not only that. If Jerry drafted Quinn and Romo turns out to confirm what people thought of him his first 4 games, what are we going to do with Quinn? Let him get dusty? Hes not a Madden 2006 CD sitting under television.

We take this year, spend it on Romo. If he sucks and we lose many of games, we get two 1-12 draft picks next year. If he rocks, we continue with him and have two 3-32 draft picks. If he sucks and Quinn rocks the world then ok, we made a mistake. But QBs are a fickle commodity, what was the stat we heard earlier this week, 50% of QBs drafted in the first round turn out to be busts?
hypnotoad.gif

Indeed................

rcaldw

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;1481197 said:

Cap, I don't necessarily think that Romo will turn out to be a dud. My only concern, and it has been all along, is how he is going to do when the NFL discovers what he CAN'T do well, and then they game plan for him.

We've had lots of guys over the years who could look like world beaters over the short term. Jason Garrett had some pretty nice few game stretches.

I saw a drop off in Romo's performances over the 2nd half of his starts. He started off like gang busters, but then slowed down at the end.

I saw poor decisions, forced throws.

At the same time, in fairness to Romo, we were playing from behind, or playing score for score games.

I LOVE the fact that he never gave up, even when Parcells just wanted to take it to the house in at least one game I remember, Romo was wanting to continue to go at it.

Hey, to make it to the Pro Bowl your first season starting is outstanding. To expect that he would play all year like his first few starts was never realistic. He got off to one of the best starts for a new starter that I can remember.

I just want to see what he does now with a new season, with some game tape available on him that others can game plan with.

If he continues to play well this year, then I've got no more worries. (Not that my worries matter, just speaking from a personal point of view) And if he continues to play well, then I have to say that Jerry Jones made a great decision this year.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
rcaldw;1480962 said:
I can't help it fellas. I watched the draft, I tried to be encouraged about it, but Jerry Jones and company just don't do it for me. I read the posts about how excited some are, and I just get the feeling that we are trying REAL hard to believe the best because its the Cowboys. I don't know how anyone could look at this draft and say it was a good one. The only thing that could possibly make it "good" is that you got a #1 from Cleveland NEXT year. Once again we trade down. Once again we make some strange picks along the way. Once again we don't get an impact player for offense. Once again we SHORE UP THAT DEFENSE with another pick. Man, I feel like we should have the 85 Bears defense after all we have invested through the draft. Once again we have some who hail all of this as pure genius.

For me, personally, no way I pass on Brady Quinn at pick 22. You have a guy who at worst was the 2nd best QB in the draft, slated by some to go in the top 3 picks and he slides to 22 and you don't take him.

Tony Romo might be the real thing, but he also might not be. Why not hedge your bets?

I know I'll probably get some negative responses from this, but I really don't care. I'm just being honest about how I feel about it, and I have to go with Goose on this one. I give it a D and I wish that Jerry would go to being just a great owner, and get a real GM to fun the football side of things.

I thin its premature to be "uninspired".... we have no idea what these picks can do for us.

BUT....

If Quinn turns out to be the REAL DEAL and was really worthy of the 2nd best QB in the draft tag(or should have been 1st QB taken talk) and leads the Browns to ANYTHING good.... it wont matter HOW MANY picks we got for him(especially if they are not on the team in 3-4 years)

Then you will never hear the end of it..... Jerry Jones had a chance at 1st or 2nd best QB in Draft 2007 and gave it away.... yadda... yadda... blah... blah...

Chuck 54

Reaction score
rcaldw;1480962 said:
I can't help it fellas. I watched the draft, I tried to be encouraged about it, but Jerry Jones and company just don't do it for me. I read the posts about how excited some are, and I just get the feeling that we are trying REAL hard to believe the best because its the Cowboys. I don't know how anyone could look at this draft and say it was a good one. The only thing that could possibly make it "good" is that you got a #1 from Cleveland NEXT year. Once again we trade down. Once again we make some strange picks along the way. Once again we don't get an impact player for offense. Once again we SHORE UP THAT DEFENSE with another pick. Man, I feel like we should have the 85 Bears defense after all we have invested through the draft. Once again we have some who hail all of this as pure genius.

For me, personally, no way I pass on Brady Quinn at pick 22. You have a guy who at worst was the 2nd best QB in the draft, slated by some to go in the top 3 picks and he slides to 22 and you don't take him.

As for the Romo thing, it would have been a bad situation to use your top pick on Quinn...wrong type of pressure to put on Romo, and if you have to replace him during the season, it will be with a vet, not a rookie anyway since we have a playoff type team.

It makes more sense to see what Romo does this year...worst case scenerio is that Romo isn't the answer...then we have the firepower going into next draft to get just about anyone we want. This year we needed to add more pass rush and OL depth, and we did.

Personally, I had been pulling for a CB in round 1, but when the top 3 were all gone ahead of us, the only player I saw that would have made sense would have been Meacham, WR, and he certainly wasn't going to come in and start for us either.

I understand your feelings on the draft, but I'm not sure who you would have liked for us to have drafted.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
rcaldw;1481236 said:
Cap, I don't necessarily think that Romo will turn out to be a dud. My only concern, and it has been all along, is how he is going to do when the NFL discovers what he CAN'T do well, and then they game plan for him.

We've had lots of guys over the years who could look like world beaters over the short term. Jason Garrett had some pretty nice few game stretches.

I saw a drop off in Romo's performances over the 2nd half of his starts. He started off like gang busters, but then slowed down at the end.

I saw poor decisions, forced throws.

At the same time, in fairness to Romo, we were playing from behind, or playing score for score games.

I LOVE the fact that he never gave up, even when Parcells just wanted to take it to the house in at least one game I remember, Romo was wanting to continue to go at it.

Hey, to make it to the Pro Bowl your first season starting is outstanding. To expect that he would play all year like his first few starts was never realistic. He got off to one of the best starts for a new starter that I can remember.

I just want to see what he does now with a new season, with some game tape available on him that others can game plan with.

If he continues to play well this year, then I've got no more worries. (Not that my worries matter, just speaking from a personal point of view) And if he continues to play well, then I have to say that Jerry Jones made a great decision this year.
Your concerns for Romo are legitimate, but those same concerns could be applied to any QB who was drafted this year, next year, or any year after that. The NFL has 10 games of film on Romo. After five, they figured out what he could do early on.

Now he has to prove that he can overcome what they try to take away from him. He has to go to the next level and he needs the opportunity to do that without any added pressure. There's nothing wrong with going into the next season saying this is our guy. They did the same thing with QC in 2004 and he pissed it away. Romo did enough last year to warrant this kind of confidence.

Stanback is intriguing enough to satisfy my want for another young WR.

2much2soon

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1481260 said:
Your concerns for Romo are legitimate, but those same concerns could be applied to any QB who was drafted this year, next year, or any year after that. The NFL has 10 games of film on Romo. After five, they figured out what he could do early on.

Now he has to prove that he can overcome what they try to take away from him. He has to go to the next level and he needs the opportunity to do that without any added pressure. There's nothing wrong with going into the next season saying this is our guy. They did the same thing with QC in 2004 and he pissed it away. Romo did enough last year to warrant this kind of confidence.

Stanback is intriguing enough to satisfy my want for another young WR.

Except Romo supposedly has been "learning" not to do those things under Parcells' wing the last 4 years and he wasn't a rookie this year.
My concern is that when Romo started playing at mid season he looked like he had learned to lose his gunslinger mentality but after some time on the field he gradually reverted back.
I hope Romo continues on the path that had us all excited. If he doesn't it could be a massive setback for the organization.
Is that level of pressure any different, and it has to be there now that Dallas passed on Quinn, than the pressure that would be there if Quinn had been drafted by Dallas?