Unrealistic Fan Expectations of signing big names in FA

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes we've debated it up and down the days and weeks on this here forum. Let's stop and think what's been said. "Chris Jones is out there, Patrick Queen is out there!" If we're going all in, "these should be the names that would show us Jerry is serious!!! But is that really the case? Can we guarantee a Superbowl adding a big named free agent, and still get the other pieces for this team that we need. With so many holes on this roster (Tyron Smith, LVE, lack of DT's/LB depth, CB's, OL Help) would it be smart to get a big name with so many holes?

With signing a big name comes expectations that they'll play the way they're being paid. So just for example, we sign one of these big names, and they're not playing at a high level, we then hear backlash towards those players from fans who WANTED those players here. I'm not saying bad things will happen, but you have to keep it the back of your mind, this player may not play well/could have injuries the entire time. We complain a lot now days about players making too much, and we're going to spend a boat load on one or 2 guys thinking it could get us a trophy??? It could happen, and maybe not!

I think the smartest thing for us to do is evaluate what's most important, is it going all in, spending smartly, or spending smartly, but getting away from the norm of bottom barrel shopping!

Do we have to get a Queen or Jones just because they're the top names to have a great season? I think there's some guys with talent that are maybe 2nd level names that could do just the same for less money, and we can get MORE players....

Hopefully Jerry and company are ready to make moves, smart moves, and moves that can fill the holes we have and get us help where we struggle! Please give your thoughts!

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Unrealistic fan expectations? When was the last time Jerry signed a top FA, Deion Sanders in 1995? I think fans have hoped that Jerry would show interest in improving the team through FA over the years, but no one has expected it. Jerry doesn't give a schit about free agency.

Most fans are way past believing in Jerry and hoping that he means what he says. Like the 'all in' BS - you're an idiot if you think he will really do it. He DOES NOT CARE what the fans think or want as long as enough of us are still stupid enough to buy merch, go to the games, etc. Jerry wouldn't have cared if there were 80,000 Packer cheeseheads in the seats for this recent playoff game. It's butts in seats, who cares what color shirt they were wearing. Jerry certainly doesn't.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
The disconnect is what another poster said in another post, they likely won’t even go out and sign mid tier free agents ie the luvu’s, Stewart’s etc. it’ll be discount guys which will give the same serviceable, solid results.

Most people didn’t expect a Chris jones signing but it’s the offseason and fun to talk about but also the owner brought this talk himself by saying “all in”. If we signed a big time free agent and he didn’t pan out then at least we could say the front office took a swing. We could say they talked the talk and walked the walk.

The way they’ve used free agency the last decade is barely taking a swing. There’s one excuses, I’m not a bash the front office over everything guy but the way they use free agency is an absolute joke.

Carson

Reaction score
Willie Gay - Market $7 million
Gus Edwards - Market value $3.4 million
DaQuan Jones - Market value $6.8 million

Done

Creeper

Reaction score
I have no expectations. I am playing wait and see. Jerry had us going to about 5 minutes when he said he is going all in in 2024. But then we realize he meant he will do the same he does every year.

What we WANT is for Jerry to make a run at Chris Jones, or Christian Wilkins. I think we all know better. Jerry does not pay free agents more than $6 million per year and most of the time he pays them less than that.

rambo2

Reaction score
Yes we've debated it up and down the days and weeks on this here forum. Let's stop and think what's been said. "Chris Jones is out there, Patrick Queen is out there!" If we're going all in, "these should be the names that would show us Jerry is serious!!! But is that really the case? Can we guarantee a Superbowl adding a big named free agent, and still get the other pieces for this team that we need. With so many holes on this roster (Tyron Smith, LVE, lack of DT's/LB depth, CB's, OL Help) would it be smart to get a big name with so many holes?

With signing a big name comes expectations that they'll play the way they're being paid. So just for example, we sign one of these big names, and they're not playing at a high level, we then hear backlash towards those players from fans who WANTED those players here. I'm not saying bad things will happen, but you have to keep it the back of your mind, this player may not play well/could have injuries the entire time. We complain a lot now days about players making too much, and we're going to spend a boat load on one or 2 guys thinking it could get us a trophy??? It could happen, and maybe not!

I think the smartest thing for us to do is evaluate what's most important, is it going all in, spending smartly, or spending smartly, but getting away from the norm of bottom barrel shopping!

Do we have to get a Queen or Jones just because they're the top names to have a great season? I think there's some guys with talent that are maybe 2nd level names that could do just the same for less money, and we can get MORE players....

Hopefully Jerry and company are ready to make moves, smart moves, and moves that can fill the holes we have and get us help where we struggle! Please give your thoughts!
Jones isn't available. He is going to sign with the Chiefs. Queen is too expensive when you look at the other linebackers they can get. It looks like they can sign a linebacker, a dtackle, and a running back.

Aven8

Reaction score
Willie Gay - Market $7 million
Gus Edwards - Market value $3.4 million
DaQuan Jones - Market value $6.8 million

Done
I wanted DaQuan years ago but our DC, DQ, thought otherwise…..

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Unrealistic fan expectations? When was the last time Jerry signed a top FA, Deion Sanders in 1995? I think fans have hoped that Jerry would show interest in improving the team through FA over the years, but no one has expected it. Jerry doesn't give a schit about free agency.

Most fans are way past believing in Jerry and hoping that he means what he says. Like the 'all in' BS - you're an idiot if you think he will really do it. He DOES NOT CARE what the fans think or want as long as enough of us are still stupid enough to buy merch, go to the games, etc. Jerry wouldn't have cared if there were 80,000 Packer cheeseheads in the seats for this recent playoff game. It's butts in seats, who cares what color shirt they were wearing. Jerry certainly doesn't.
Terrell Owens, La'Roi Glover, Brandon Carr, and trades for Roy Williams, Amari Cooper, Brandin Cooks, and Stephon Gilmore. That's all I can think of off the top of my head for this century. I'd be curious to know how that stacks up against other contenders.

rambo2

Reaction score
Terrell Owens, La'Roi Glover, Brandon Carr, and trades for Roy Williams, Amari Cooper, Brandin Cooks, and Stephon Gilmore. That's all I can think of off the top of my head for this century. I'd be curious to know how that stacks up against other contenders.
I think their best trades were for Cooks and Gilmore.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Stupid article. Any true fan of the this team already knew this

stinkface

Reaction score
Bottom feeders are bottom feeders. We are the scavengers of the NFL seas, where the old boots and license plates reside.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jones isn't available. He is going to sign with the Chiefs. Queen is too expensive when you look at the other linebackers they can get. It looks like they can sign a linebacker, a dtackle, and a running back.
That's fine with me, I would like to get more with our money, but more doesn't mean the bottom!

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I think their best trades were for Cooks and Gilmore.
Value wise, absolutely. I couldn't believe they pulled that off. Probably saved the season. Production wise, it has to be Cooper. That guy was magical in Dallas, until it fizzled out. Throw in Prime and Haley and Jerral has been pretty strong with trades. It's being able to entice guys to come play here where he's struggled for awhile.

ICP

Reaction score
The money freed up by extending Dak will mostly go to extending Cee Dee and Parsons. Look at 3rd tier free agents to fill the rest of the needs. I know we all want some big mean good LB's but I'm thing more like Big average LB's