*Update* on my health

28bringinthewood

Reaction score
I guess you could call it an update on my health. Just found out my butt is going to be sore from freaking sitting and waiting for the phone to ring because my husband is not a match for me. Today is probably not going to be one of my best days. I have been positive and upbeat through this whole freaking kidney failure thing...now it is my time to be pissed. :bang2:
Tell you what... the Cowboys had better freaking do good this year!!!!

*Rant off... I need a drink!*

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
28bringinthewood;1568834 said:
I guess you could call it an update on my health. Just found out my butt is going to be sore from freaking sitting and waiting for the phone to ring because my husband is not a match for me. Today is probably not going to be one of my best days. I have been positive and upbeat through this whole freaking kidney failure thing...now it is my time to be pissed. :bang2:
Tell you what... the Cowboys had better freaking do good this year!!!!

*Rant off... I need a drink!*
No you don't. They can take you off the donor list if you do too many things they consider dangerous.

Keep your chin up. That is your best course of action.

Thanks for letting us know.

28bringinthewood

Reaction score
Funny thing is... the nephrologist at Baylor said it is okay for me to drink in moderation (which I don't).... but no smoking or drugs. I never did drugs, and I quit smoking when they told me that I needed a kidney.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
28bringinthewood;1568872 said:
Funny thing is... the nephrologist at Baylor said it is okay for me to drink in moderation (which I don't).... but no smoking or drugs. I never did drugs, and I quit smoking when they told me that I needed a kidney.
My nephew's wife was on the donor list. Her mom ( certified wacko IMO) convinced her that the medications she was on were bad for her. She convinced her that her troubles could be cured with Sunrider herbs and vitamins. Sunrider is a decent product, but it cannot regenerate a diseased kidney. She got taken off the donor list.

Aaron's new wife is raising her son because she passed away at 23 years old.

Once you are on those donor lists stay with what they tell you because they monitor them strictly. They cannot afford a transplant operation to go awry so they really only take the absolute best candidates. Too many malpractice opportunities otherwise.

Please ask a Dr. if I am making this up on how strict they are. You're better off eating all organic foods and not doing anything that will raise a red flag with them.

I know that's a lot to do, but in the long run it matters.

Hoov

Reaction score
28bringinthewood;1568872 said:

First, a drink in moderation may be OK, but what are you choosing.

Remember to count the oz of fluid and beer is 12 oz or more, plus high in Phosphorus so that is probably the worst choice.

A glass of wine will not hurt as long as you count the fluid as part of your daily intake, but i am talking about 1 glass.

Actually hard liquor is your safest bet because it is the least amount of fluid.

However i am not recommending you get blitzed to feel better, just saying if you make up your mind to drink think about the fluid intake.

Second, sorry to hear your husband is not a match, but that is most often the case, i am sorry if someone led you to beleive otherwise. But it is actually rare that dialysis patients get a kidney from a family member, though i have met many that beleive it will happen cause the family member is willing.

As far as a cadaver donor list, in my area the average wait is 1-2 years, i had a patient get one in 6 months. the time will pass sooner than you think.

Hang in there.

28bringinthewood

Reaction score
Yes, they are very strict. I have been very careful. I have worked all my life to preserve my kidney. In high school, while everyone else was drinking.... I was their driver. I have never been much of a drinker at all. It just suprised me that the Dr. said I could drink in moderation... sounded funny.

Like I said, I have worked hard all my life to protect my kidney... I eat all the things they tell me to and limit what they tell me to limit (red meat... which sucks cause I love me a garlicy steak!). My renal function is fluctuating between 12% - 14%.... but, my labs have been pretty good....except my pottasium has been low so I take a supplement.

Hoov... if I was going to drink, I would drink one wine cooler... and probably would not even finish it. :)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
28bringinthewood;1568906 said:
Yes, they are very strict. I have been very careful. I have worked all my life to preserve my kidney. In high school, while everyone else was drinking.... I was their driver. I have never been much of a drinker at all. It just suprised me that the Dr. said I could drink in moderation... sounded funny.

Like I said, I have worked hard all my life to protect my kidney... I eat all the things they tell me to and limit what they tell me to limit (red meat... which sucks cause I love me a garlicy steak!). My renal function is fluctuating between 12% - 14%.... but, my labs have been pretty good....except my pottasium has been low so I take a supplement.

Hoov... if I was going to drink, I would drink one wine cooler... and probably would not even finish it. :)
You're doing it right. In my mind this means you have very little to worry about. It's just a waiting game. Luckily football is upon us to pass the time.

Hoov

Reaction score
28bringinthewood;1568906 said:

your dietitian told you to limit red meat ?

Hoov

Reaction score
28bringinthewood;1568917 said:
Yep, said it was harder for the kidney to process.

I have never heard that.

When people are in the progression of kidney failure and trying to prolong the need for dialysis there are some schoold of thought which advocate a low protein diet, as it gives the kidney a little bit of a break. But the result is usually prolonging dialysis for 6-8 months and then the perosn is malnourished on top of that.

Once on dialysis a high protein diet is always recommended. A good albumin level is 4.0 or higher according to KDOQI guidelines.

Why would the amino acids and protein in a steak be any different from those on chicken, fish, turkey. And the Gi system is doing the digestion of the meat, i dont see how the kidney is processing anything. It sounds strange.

I know there were some oldschool dietitians advocating abstinence from red meat due to problems with cholesterol but that is strating to fall by the wayside as well.

Well, i am curious about that, I dont want to cause any issues between you and your health profesionals but if you really enjoy a steak you may want to investigate a little more.

I am going to a meeting this thursday with about 50 other renal dietitians, i will ask if any of them know about this.

28bringinthewood

Reaction score
I would appreciate that Hoov. My nephrologist here and at Baylor, both told me that the protein in red meat is harder for the kidney to process. They told me to eat more chicken, fish (I HATE fish), or turkey... even pork is better than red meat. Again, they said in moderation... I can have red meat in moderation. I am also on a low sodium diet.

Hoov

Reaction score
28bringinthewood;1568952 said:
I would appreciate that Hoov. My nephrologist here and at Baylor, both told me that the protein in red meat is harder for the kidney to process. They told me to eat more chicken, fish (I HATE fish), or turkey... even pork is better than red meat. Again, they said in moderation... I can have red meat in moderation. I am also on a low sodium diet.
Yes you should be.

I wonder what potasium bath you are on, given that you have low potasium i would think a 3 or 4 potasium bath. You must have a good bit of function left, fortunate for you as you probably can drink more fluid than most of the patients and eat more fruits and vegetables.

28bringinthewood

Reaction score
Hoov... my albumin is 3.9
BUN 55
Creatinine 4.06
BUN/Crea 14
Phosphorus 4.2
Potassium 3.2
I take Potassuim effervescent 25mEq per day

I am very lucky to not yet be on dialysis. We were hoping my husband would be a match and we could do the transplant before I needed dialysis. I have an appointment with my neph. on Wednesday... he will probably want to go ahead and do the graft ASAP.

One question... do you know what PTH, Intact would be? It says normal levels are 12-65 and mine are at 215?!?!?!

These labs were from 6/13. I had labs done last Friday, so I will get my updated labs on Wednesday.

Hoov

Reaction score
28bringinthewood;1569207 said:
Hoov... my albumin is 3.9
BUN 55
Creatinine 4.06
BUN/Crea 14
Phosphorus 4.2
Potassium 3.2
I take Potassuim effervescent 25mEq per day

I am very lucky to not yet be on dialysis. We were hoping my husband would be a match and we could do the transplant before I needed dialysis. I have an appointment with my neph. on Wednesday... he will probably want to go ahead and do the graft ASAP.

One question... do you know what PTH, Intact would be? It says normal levels are 12-65 and mine are at 215?!?!?!

These labs were from 6/13. I had labs done last Friday, so I will get my updated labs on Wednesday.

I thought you already were getting treatments 3 x/week, i thought you posted a thread with information about a graft sometime back.

If you are not on dialysis yet, that is a possible explanation for the worry of excess protein from red meat, but still i am not sure, i contacted a friend who has been a renal dietitian for 20 years and she has not heard that before.

You already see a dietitian without being on dialysis ? that is fortunate, and it sounds like your healthcare team is giving you a good service and level of care. I am working in a hemodialysis clinic, a lot of my patients literaly get dumped here out of the hosiptal with no clue what is going on because they were not seing a physician regularly before going into acute renal failure, one day they check into the ER with some symptoms of nausea and feeling ill, a week later they are in my clinic. It is a very good thing that you are getting treated early on.

Your labs are good, that PTH level is fine, I'll pm you with more information about that

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Hey...my sis donated a kidney to my cousin a couple of years ago...it was all ups and downs until the operation was over with. One day good, the next not so good...but in the end, it all worked out.

Soooo...try to keep the faith.

And of course, we're here for ya. :D

28bringinthewood

Reaction score
I know it will work out one way or another. I am feeling better today, I don't want to hit anything anymore.

Football season is upon us, I hope it will keep my mind off of this. Sure will help if the Cowboys tear it up this season!!!