Updated DPOY odds, Bland moving up

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
No other defensive player is doing anything we haven't seen before. DaRon has already set a new league record for pick-6s in a single season. How is he not the lead dog for this award by far? Give this man his flowers!!!
If he can move the record by two more picksixes I think he wins the award on a runaway train.

It would be an accomplishment that is unprecendented by a long shot.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If he can move the record by two more picksixes I think he wins the award on a runaway train.

With 5 games left in the regular season, I think he pushes the record at least by one. That should be plenty in my opinion.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many picks overall this year, 7? And 5 of them pick 6's.

Even if he gets 5 more picks in the next 6 games. That is still an accomplishment. Puts him at 12, and say 1 of them is a pick 6. Then that will do it.

Hope for Garrett and Watt to have some not so good games for sacks.

I doubt he gets 8 more picks to set the NFL record. I think Night Train Lane has it at 14, but that was what in 12 games.
Doesn't matter. With he rules now days protecting the offense. That is still a great accomplishment. So no asterisk needed. I like what the announcers said. He did it in 11 games, so no asterisk for a 17 games season.
Back then the DB could mug the WR, and get away with it. Now, a tap on the jersey can be called a PI.

Wouldn't that suck. He gets an INT for the record and called back for a bogus penalty.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
No other defensive player is doing anything we haven't seen before. DaRon has already set a new league record for pick-6s in a single season. How is he not the lead dog for this award by far? Give this man his flowers!!!
  • Pedigree and Expectations
  • Competition
  • Timing and Stakes

It's an incredible feat that is unlikely to be beaten (still has games left, also). But since Bland wasn't an all-star before the season, I'm guessing others view it as fluky.

If it were Sauce, the headlines would be "GOAT CB Season?"

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
  • Pedigree and Expectations
  • Competition
  • Timing and Stakes

It's an incredible feat that is unlikely to be beaten (still has games left, also). But since Bland wasn't an all-star before the season, I'm guessing others view it as fluky.

If it were Sauce, the headlines would be "GOAT CB Season?"
Well, guess what? A star is born in 2023... DaRon Bland! He needs a marketing team to get right on that. :cool:

Motorola

Reaction score
With 5 games left in the regular season, I think he pushes the record at least by one. That should be plenty in my opinion.

Remaining 6 Cowboys opponents \ the QBs Bland will be facing:
1) Seahawks \ Geno Smith -- 50% chance for a pick-six
2) Eagles \ Jalen Hurts --- 30%
3) @ Bills \ Josh Allen --- 80%
4) @ Dolphins \ Tua Tagovailoa --- 20%
5) Lions \ Jared Goff -- 50%
6) Commanders \ Sam Howell --- 60%

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Remaining 6 Cowboys opponents \ the QBs Bland will be facing:
1) Seahawks \ Geno Smith -- 50% chance for a pick-six
2) Eagles \ Jalen Hurts --- 30%
3) @ Bills \ Josh Allen --- 80%
4) @ Dolphins \ Tua Tagovailoa --- 20%
5) Lions \ Jared Goff -- 50%
6) Commanders \ Sam Howell --- 60%
Are you sure those percentages are for pick-six and not just an INT? There is a difference.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
No kidding. Should be in the lead for sure.

Adreme

Reaction score
It won’t be. If he had the record for INTs maybe, but pick 6 is too low of a record for it to dominate everything else.

Garrett and Watt have the better story to go with elite production so I would expect one of them to get it.

Motorola

Reaction score
Are you sure those percentages are for pick-six and not just an INT? There is a difference.
I'm looking at them as pick-6 odds (rather inflated on my part):
-Smith gets hung up in the pocket - not a scrambler- throws one up to avoid another sack Thursday night
-Hurts is going to be careful about throwing towards Bland - even if he's covering Brown
-Allen will keep throwing that intermediate sideline out (that Bills fans hate) for a great INT=TD opportunity...and he will be in hero-ball mode to get a playoff berth. (He may even cough up a fumble for a scoop & score TD for Dallas. )
- Tua threw a pick-six v. Giants earlier this season...he will be careful
- Goff -every time I've watched the Lions play this year, he always misreads the coverage, which leads to an easy INT chance.
- Howell...despite what happened last week, he's gonna sling it to help Washington finish their season with another home win over Dallas.