USC Conerback Arrested

royhitshard

Reaction score
USC to hold arrested CB out of spring practice
Wright free on bail after beingaccused of sexual assault

The Associated Press
Updated: 9:32 p.m. ET March 28, 2005

LOS ANGELES - Southern California cornerback Eric Wright is being held out of spring practice, following his arrest for investigation of sexual assault.

“I haven’t been updated yet from the university’s perspective regarding Eric Wright’s situation,” USC coach Pete Carroll said in a statement Monday. “I know they will look into this thoroughly and take the time that is necessary to do this properly.

“Until I get more information and clarification, we’ll hold Eric out of practice.”

Wright, a redshirt freshman from San Francisco, is scheduled to be arraigned April 20.

“No charges have been filed, no case has been presented. He is free on bail,” Jane Robison, press secretary for the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office, said Monday.

Wright, 19, was taken into custody early Saturday at a campus apartment by officers investigating reports of an assault, police spokeswoman Sara Faden said. He was booked for investigation of rape and bail was set at $100,000, according to the Sheriff’s Department. Faden said Wright posted bail and was released.

“The university takes such matters seriously and has launched an investigation into the case of student Eric Wright,” said Michael Jackson, USC’s vice president of student affairs. “We do not publicly comment on student judicial cases. We will take appropriate action once the facts of the case have been determined.”

Wright underwent arthroscopic knee surgery in January, but was participating in spring practice, which began last week. He started four games last season and intercepted two passes — the second during USC’s 55-19 victory over Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl. He was expected to next season.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7313228/