UT #1 in BCS

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I know, I just read it. I didnt see this one coming. I dont think a team that started off as number 1 has fell when they were still undefeated. The BCS just get weirder and weirder.

Texas benefited from Texas Tech being so high, but I think Texas Tech was not that good.

USC definately has to win out to get to the Title game now.

Im hoping for a VT and Texas Championship Game.

- Mike G.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Still plenty of weeks left in the season and the margin is very, very close. Games against Cal and UCLA will help the USC strength of schedule. Who knows if that will put them back up to #1.

I think it will be very close between Texas and VaTech. The Hokies could have more opponents finish in the top 20 in the BCS polls by the end of the regular season. Their strength of schedule could be the difference. It is a shame because one will be left out and maybe two if any SEC team can go unbeaten. It will be a real shame if USC somehow loses enough computer points to fall to #3, but that is the way the wacky system can work.

calico

Reaction score
It will change next week. But it is USC, Texas..............and everyone else.

joseephuss

Reaction score
calico said:
It will change next week. But it is USC, Texas..............and everyone else.

It is a crazy system. If OU can get manhandled in their conference championship game or Nebraska not even make it to their conference championship game and still go to the national title game, then anything can happen.

Virginia Tech still has games against #13 Boston College and #6 Miami. That is better than anything Texas will face the rest of the year. It will be a close race to see who the top two teams are at the end of the year. I hope it is a complete mess and there are at least 4 unbeaten teams. Something needs to happen to shake up the system.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I never saw this one coming either. Agree ..as long as we stay at #2.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
SC will be number one again. VTech has the much better schedule but is that good or is that bad? Miami is no push over. It will be interesting to see what happens. I think SC will be number 1 at the end of the season. If VTech runs the table, Texas could easily be on the outside looking in. The two things that really hurt Texas are the schedule and the fact that VTech is in the East. They will get huge support from many of the writers because of this.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Here's a novel idea I've never seen anyone come up with...

Has the NCAA ever considered a playoff system? They might want to look in to it...

The BCS (Bull Crap System) has left deserving teams on the outside looking in for two straight years now...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
trickblue said:

Has the NCAA ever considered a playoff system? They might want to look in to it...

The BCS (Bull Crap System) has left deserving teams on the outside looking in for two straight years now...

I don't expect this to change this year Trick. I know this. I know that if Texas, SC and VTech all run the table, not to mention any SEC team, somebodies going to get left out in the cold with no good reason as to why. I'd go one further and say that whomever manages to be the last two standing, that number three team is not going to be overly excited about the prospect of playing a team like ND. In fact, nobody would be looking forward to that IMO.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
trickblue said:

The current BCS rewards good teams from bad conferences. The best team in the PAC 10 will always have the inside track to the title game. Get up and beat two "decent" teams, don't blow it against the two "mediocre" teams then walk through the rest of the schedule without any injuries. It was the same scenario that the ACC used before their recent additions.

There is a reason that NFL teams very seldom get to 12-0. It requires solid play and a bit of luck every week because every team has talent. Much different than college.

I fully expect Texas and USC to be in the title game because they've already won their one game against a legitimate opponent (both barely, but a win's a win).

Who left on Texas' schedule can even give them competition? USC has UCLA left but the only reason that may be close is that it's a rivalry game, not that UCLA is a good team.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I don't expect this to change this year Trick. I know this. I know that if Texas, SC and VTech all run the table, not to mention any SEC team, somebodies going to get left out in the cold with no good reason as to why. I'd go one further and say that whomever manages to be the last two standing, that number three team is not going to be overly excited about the prospect of playing a team like ND. In fact, nobody would be looking forward to that IMO.

Oh I don't... not anytime soon until all of the cronies are gone...

BUT... if Alabama and Georgia can also run the table and you have 5 undefeated teams, the heat would get burning hot on the BCS system...

joseephuss

Reaction score
We should all hope that Texas and Alabama go undefeated and get left out of the title game. Those two universities with the rich football history being left out with unbeaten records would cause and uproar. Their alumni would scream and what the NCAA needs is people screaming about change. Especially people with money and influence. If Notre Dame alums ever stood up and shouted, they would be heard. Unfortunately, they already have a sweet deal with the BCS, so they have no reason to complain.