Utilizing Romo/Henson and Campbell In Preseason

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I was wondering what you all thought on this.

Both the Cowboys and Commanders have veteran starting QBs in the twilight of their careers. Its inevitable our starting QBs will be replaced eventually, its just a matter of when.

In order to get the backups ready if they need to go into the game on the spot, do you think its a good idea to have them start against the first team defenses of other teams in preseason?

I've always wondered why this isn't done more often, and why the 1st string QBs start the games if we want to get the backups real experience against 1st string defenses. I'd rather see what Jason Campbell can do against the Patriots first team 3-4 defense rather then their scrubs.

Henson Domination

Reaction score
I've thought about that as well...

But in reality, the offenses and defenses are so stripped down in the preseason that I'm not even sure it would do all that much good to have the backup QBs play with the starters. They won't be learning to make adjustments all that much.

Maybe by the 3rd or 4th preseason game, it would be worth it, but usually by then most coaches want to get their starters together to develop some small continuity going into the season.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Basically the vet QBs need to get their timing straight with the first team offense going against the first team defense.

In principle, I do see your point, though.

It may be worthwhile to let the vet QB play with his first string offense against the other team's second string defense to give the backups some more realistic game experience.

Bluefin

Reaction score
In order to get the backups ready if they need to go into the game on the spot, do you think its a good idea to have them start against the first team defenses of other teams in preseason?
Bruce Coslet urged Jerry Jones to start Chad Hutchinson instead of incumbent Quincy Carter in our thrid pre-season game and our season was over before it offically began (not that it was going anywhere).

And Carter was just a nervous youngster overly concerned with the new offensive coordinator's love of the back-up signal caller.

He didn't possess the ego of a seasoned starting quarterback or have the entire locker room ready to go to war with him.

Try telling Drew Bledsoe or Mark Brunell to take five while the young gun rolls out with the starters in a pre-season game and watch what happens.

The idea is fine in theory, and some veterans probably wouldn't mind, but it's opening a can of worms that should be left alone.

t.o.boys81

Reaction score
I think Bledsoe has a lot more left in his tank than Brunell does. Bledsoe isn't even close to being replaced, and Brunell is a year away from the fact.