Video: Van Jefferson Route Running Breakdown

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Man, this draft is so deep in WR talent it’s easy to forget about Jefferson (another good one).

Not joking, but I wonder if Van Jefferson is the son of former NFL wideout Shawn Jefferson?

Last edited:

morasp

Reaction score
Dak seems to do well with receivers that create separation.

Overview
Versatile, skilled receiver who has played all three receiver spots but is likely to do most of his damage from the slot. Jefferson has average size and won't run away from quality man coverage, but he will separate from it with premium route-running and unique looks and angles that keep cornerbacks on their heels. He needs to prove he can deal with NFL size and strength banging on him at the catch point. Jefferson is a pro-ready receiver whose skill level and competitive nature outweigh average explosiveness and he should find quick work as a WR3/WR4.

Strengths
  • Possesses uncommon competitive streak and attitude
  • Father is long-time NFL receiver and NFL receivers coach
  • Above-average release against press
  • Alters speed and angles to keep cornerbacks off-balance
  • Agility and foot quickness for complex routes
  • Hand usage is effective and subtle at the top of the route
  • Attention to detail allows him to separate underneath
  • Unique feel for leverage and works hard back to the throw
  • Uses frame and strong hands to protect the catch point
  • Drew 11 penalties since 2018, including three interferences by Auburn in 2019
  • Gets the ball upfield quickly after catch

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I like Jefferson alot. I think like Bowden, there is a possibility he could go early day 3

I like them both as well, it's quite ironic that both their player comps are that of Green Bay Packers, yes Bowden has been compared to Cobb, where Jefferson's comp is D. Adams.

The Cowboy Front Office has made an emphasis to surround Dak with more high level, route runners then they did for Romo. A strong route runner like Jefferson fits like a glove.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
I got a half chub watching his senior bowl 1 on 1's.

Dude would start from the slot day 1. His route running is Amari-esque.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
My pet cat at WR. Most years I think we have to draft him bottom 1st or 2nd. This year we can probably get him in the 3rd because of depth.

He would fit perfectly between Cooper and Gallup. 600-800 yds as a rookie.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Yep me too. Jefferson has releases n routes pro ready to fit right in with Coop n Gallup. 3rd round is a happy place.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Only thing separating him and Jeudy is .05 tenths in the 40.
Both elite route runners, good hands, can play inside and out. Love me some Jefferson in rd three.

cnuball21

Reaction score
LOVE Jefferson. Another quality mid round option in a loaded class.

Not a fan of his age, but due to his above average route running I think he could make an immediate impact.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gallup was considered one of the better route runners in his draft class. With a need at WR could we strike third round gold again? I found this video vey interesting.

Brugler has Jefferson as the 4th ranked WR and 17th overall on his top 100 list.

Despite a deep WR draft, they won't get Jefferson in the 3rd.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Brugler has Jefferson as the 4th ranked WR and 17th overall on his top 100 list.

Despite a deep WR draft, they won't get Jefferson in the 3rd.
You got the Jefferson's confused, Justin Jefferson from LSU is his 17th overall player, not Van Jefferson from Florida

Plankton

Reaction score
Man, this draft is so deep in WR talent it’s easy to forget about Jefferson (another good one).

Not joking, but I wonder if Van Jefferson is the son of former NFL wideout Shawn Jefferson?

He is. Would be a great addition as a slot WR for the Cowboys.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gallup was considered one of the better route runners in his draft class. With a need at WR could we strike third round gold again? I found this video vey interesting.

My bad. Wrong Jefferson. I saw Jefferson and WR.