Vela: A carbon copy deja vu

Angus

Reaction score
A Carbon Copy Deja Vu
By Rafael Vela

When Dallas faces the Eagles Sunday night, they’ll be taking their second swipe at a Jim Johnson-style scheme. As you’ll recall, first year Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo was Johnson’s linebacker coach the past few years and week one offered a chance to see how Jason Garrett would fare against a Johnsonesque blitz-happy scheme.

45 points was an emphatic answer.

Now, Garrett gets a two week run against the same defensive scheme, going against the mentor Johnson this week and Spagnuolo in New York next week.

The Eagles defense Dallas sees this week maintains its proven approach. Johnson will blitz you silly until you prove you can resist the rushes and hurt his pass defense. In years past, teams with good running attacks would forego passing to hammer at the Philadelphia interior.

The Eagles were weak against the run but have made a dramatic improvement this year. They rank just two steps behind Dallas in overall yardage allowed (6th vs. 8th) passing (13th vs. 15th) and rush defense (5th vs. 8th). Philadelphia bests the Cowboys in points allowed (16.7 to 22.6) but if you remove the 35 points Dallas has allowed on a kickoff return, a punt return, two INT returns and a fumble return for a score, the margin narrows to 16.7 to 17.6.

Dallas will in effect, be facing a carbon copy of its own defense this week.

The difference may be the Eagles offense. Philadelphia has struggled all year to score, topping 16 points just twice this year. A 56 blowout versus Detroit in week three convinced many people that the Eagles were over a sluggish 0-2 start where they scored only 15 points but Philly followed that outburst with a 3 point letdown against the Giants. Last weeks 23 points against the Vikings was the second highest posting this year.

How do the Cowboys match up? We’ll look at one half of the matchup tomorrow.

http://theboysblog.com/

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I hope the Cowboys have been working on screen passes and quick outs to the backs. These plays can kill a blitzing team. Tom Brady even said the Pats used so many screens in the SB because the Eagles were always blitzing. The Eagles aren't expecting screen passes. I hope that is an extra added wrinkle Garrett throws at them.

BoysRule2

Benched
Reaction score
ninja;1738836 said:
I hope the Cowboys have been working on screen passes and quick outs to the backs. These plays can kill a blitzing team. Tom Brady even said the Pats used so many screens in the SB because the Eagles were always blitzing. The Eagles aren't expecting screen passes. I hope that is an extra added wrinkle Garrett throws at them.

Yep-that set the blueprint to beat the Eagles. Too bad alot of NFC coaches have been too stupid to realize this(i.e. Brad Childress last week).