Vela Blog - 3 Weeks ago - Adjusting the Offensive Gameplan

NOVA 22

Reaction score
in his great blog, Vela mentioned 3 weeks ago following the loss to the Commanders that Garrett would have to start countering the way defenses were attacking the Boys O. I'm wondering if anyone thinks this was done at all. The running game seems to have slowed considerably - which makes you think teams are putting more guys in the box. The book on Owens seems to be as basic as 'jam him at the line' with a safety deep behind. And my guess is teams are also doubling Witten.

So what's left? Single coverage on the other WRs? wide open space in the flats for screen passes? more wide tosses? motioning owens even more?

I have no idea myself but it sure seems like teams have spread themselves thin and something should be ripe for the picking. even before the romo injury, i don't think this was happening. i guess it is possible romo was not taking what defenses were offering underneath - if johnson does that - then maybe a few weeks of watching from the sidelines could be beneficial.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I'm in agreement about the 2nd/3rd WRs. It just seems that they've just not done enough to either get open/seperation or the game plan has them doing thing that doesn't take advantage of the fact that Owens and sometimes Witten are getting doubled.

Even a half-decent WR should be able to break away every now and then and give the QB another option.

yentl911

Reaction score
Manu people on this board have been talking about getting TO in motion and I think it is a great idea. We line him up out wide on almosy every play and when he does that is is easier for the defense to key on him and assign responsibility.

Garret needs to continue coming up with wrinkles in the offense to keep the defense on their heals. I don't think he has done that in the past couple of weeks.

Reaction score
NOVA 22;2338003 said:
in his great blog, Vela mentioned 3 weeks ago following the loss to the Commanders that Garrett would have to start countering the way defenses were attacking the Boys O. I'm wondering if anyone thinks this was done at all. The running game seems to have slowed considerably - which makes you think teams are putting more guys in the box. The book on Owens seems to be as basic as 'jam him at the line' with a safety deep behind. And my guess is teams are also doubling Witten.

So what's left? Single coverage on the other WRs? wide open space in the flats for screen passes? more wide tosses? motioning owens even more?

I have no idea myself but it sure seems like teams have spread themselves thin and something should be ripe for the picking. even before the romo injury, i don't think this was happening. i guess it is possible romo was not taking what defenses were offering underneath - if johnson does that - then maybe a few weeks of watching from the sidelines could be beneficial.

Not sure if the running game has slowed as you suggest. I think it is more that Garrett chose not to run the ball. Between Barber and Felix Jones they got 20 touches which is not nearly where they should be. Each week they should be getting 25-30 touches and throwing around 30 times. Good Balance!