Vela Blog: T.O. Beats Everybody

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
T.O. Scares Everybody
In the early days of training camp, I mentioned that the workouts could be summarized with the phrase, “T.O. Beats Everybody.” No player had a better, more productive camp than the man whose middle name is Eldorado.

The Caddy made Philadelphia’s ballyhooed corners look like refurbished Hyundais in the first half Monday night. He not only beat Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard, he humiliated them. Owens didn’t catch a pass in the second half, but his early level of dominance changed Philly’s second half game plan, and aided Dallas’ comeback.

Jim Johnson’s initial strategy was to blitz Tony Romo with some frequency. On Romo’s 14 first half attempts, the Eagles blitzed five or more men on 6 plays, or 43% of the time. The Eagles rushed four men on the remaining 8 plays.

The Eagles initially tried playing Owens with a single corner, but neither Brown nor Sheppard could stay wtih him. He ran Brown off on a 14 yard curl route, then left both Sheppard and safety Sean Considine more than five yards in his wake on a 72 yard bomb.

Johnson showed some brass putting FS Brian Dawkins one-on-one against Owens in the second quarter. T.O. looked insulted after he easily beat Dawkins on a 4 yard slant for a touchdown.

The play that probably changed Johnson’s thinking came on Dallas’ next series. The Cowboys had run the ball on every one of its first seven 1st-down plays and the Eagles had stuffed Marion Barber, walking eight and sometimes nine men into the box. Romo’s 4 yarder to T.O. had caught them off guard, and probably explains why Dawkins was left alone against Owens — the Eagles were expecting another run.

Now, facing 1st and ten on his 20, Jason Garrett called his second 1st-down pass, sending Owens on a stop and go at Brown. T.O. was again more than five yards behind the corner when he caught the ball, which he took 55 yards to the Eagles’ 25. The play was called back by a holding penalty, but it affected the remainder of the game.

Johnson had to give the corners covering Owens deep help. When the second half started the Eagles began playing a lot of cover two, with a safety always rotating to Owens’ side. This meant the Eagles now were playing with seven in the box, and Marion Barber began to find running room. He had only 14 first half yards on six carries, and he topped that on his first 2nd-half carry, a bend play around right end for 18 yards. He gained 49 second half yards on 12 carries, a far more respectable 4.1 average.

Cover two also compromised Philly’s rush. Thirteen of the Eagles first fourteen second-half pass calls rushed four men, a meager 7% average. The Cowboys’ line handled these rushes with relative ease, giving Romo time to work his backs and tight ends in the middle of the field against Philly linebackers. When the Eagles went to man coverage, they still tracked T.O. with two players. Owens cleared out the right side of the Eagles defense on a third quarter play from the Philly 17, giving Barber the space to catch a touchdown against the overmatched MLB Stewart Bradley.

That’s Why They Pay Him the Big Money

Amazingly, Garrett had the perfect play for the one time in that 14-pass sequence where Johnson blitzed. He called a screen to Barber on a 1st down play where Johnson rushed six men. Barber followed three blockers along the far sideline for 25 yards. Johnson again backed off; he would blitz just twice more in the game.

In a fitting end to his evening, Owens beat the new Eagle Asante Samuel, drawing an interference call in the end zone that set up Barber’s game winning run. T.O. left the field knowing he had gotten the better of all three Philly corners.

Owens appears to have found a 6th gear at age 34, one that makes good cornerbacks look stupid. He not only beats everybody, he flat-out scares everybody, top-tier coordinators included.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
He'd be a lot closer to Rice had he not self-destructed in 2005. How many games did he miss that year?

Eskimo

Reaction score
bbgun;2269594 said:
He'd be a lot closer to Rice had he not self-destructed in 2005. How many games did he miss that year?

9 games, I think. Given his average rate of production over the last few years, that's 7-10 TDs.

sago1

Reaction score
I believe TO only played 7 games in 2005; don't know how many TDs he caught.

BTW: TO's best season in Philly was in 2003 when he caught 14 TDs in the regular season. Best season of his career was back in the SF days when he caught 16 TDs. As a Cowboy, TO caught 14 TDs in 2006, most were obviously from Romo. In 2007 we all know TO caught 15 TDs from Romo. I'd love to see TO break Randy Moss' record of 23 TDs which beat out TO's hero of Jerry Rice. Frankly, if TO & Romo stay healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see TO catch at least 12+ TDs from 2008 to 2011.

yennor24

Reaction score
What nobody is really mentioning is, He hasn't dropped a pass all year long...He is dialed in this year....

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I had a debate with one of my co-workers last year about whether T.O. was a Hall of Famer or not.

Similar to what Tirico or Kornheiser stated in the broadcast monday night, some of Terrell Owens' antics have probably made people ignorant on just how good of a player he is.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
yennor24;2269928 said:
What nobody is really mentioning is, He hasn't dropped a pass all year long...He is dialed in this year....

To be fair we have only played 2 games.

He will have his drops just like most of the other great go-to players.

The more opportunities you get to catch the ball is also provides more opportunities for drops.