Vela: Dallas Corners - Taking the Giant Step...

sago1

Reaction score
Most of us were stunned when CB Aaron Glenn was cut leaving us with Jacque Reeves to replace him & Nate Jones playing in the slot with Newman injuried. Didn't make sense although many of us aware Glenn's play wasn't as good in 06 as it was in 05.

Below is from Raphael Vela's blog which shows performances of our CBs w/o Newman of course. Maybe the Cowboys weren't wrong about Reeves being able to replace Glenn but still wonder/think Glenn would be better then Nate Jones -- but what do I know. BTW: Jones stats are not included in Vela's assessment. Wonder if/when we get a chance to see Oglesby, our newest CB.

… from craptacular to so-so.

Through two weeks:
:star: :star:
Anthony Henry successful plays attempts yards YPA
vs. New York 1 7 122 17.4
vs. Miami 4 8 50 6.25
total 5 15 172 11.5

Henry’s Giants game is one you hide from the wife and kids. Roy Williams took some abuse for his miscues and Jacques Reeves made his share but nobody was abused by Plaxico Burress more than Henry, who gave up three plays of more than 20 yards against the Giants number one, one a 60 yard TD bomb on New York’s third play from scrimmage.

Henry bounced back with a big game against Miami. He had two picks and could have easily had four. Henry dropped a third in stride and knocked down another.

Jacques Reeves successful plays attempts yards YPA
vs. New York 5 12 59 4.92
vs. Miami 6 16 125 7.81
total 11 28 184 6.57

Reeves has been mediocre so far. Not great by any means, but not putrid. He’s been picked on a lot, with 28 attempts in two weeks. If he had to go 16 games at this pace he’d be the most thrown at corner in the NFL.

I mentioned in the Dolphins post game that Reeves’ play was slightly better than Aaron Glenn’s play last year, which brought some protesting posts. On reason for the disagreements may have been the frequency of play; Glenn was targeted only 38 times all last year. Reeves has seen 28 passes come his way in two weeks.

Let’s compare their games:

Player Success % Yards per attempt.
Aaron Glenn ‘06 38.7 8.0
Jacques Reeves ‘07 39.3 6.6

You’re looking at an Aaron Glenn clone. That said, Glenn’s ‘06 was a step down from his ‘05. If Reeves can gain in confidence he can offer Dallas similar play on the left corner to what Glenn offered in his better Cowboys’ days.

Now, if Henry can continue playing at his week-two level and Terence Newman can come back, the secondary can take a giant step forward as a unit.

sago1

Reaction score
Sorry, can't understand why Vela's (theboysblog.com) numbers don't appear when I copied them for my posting. Appreciate any help to fellow posters can see comparison. Sorry about this.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Glenn's numbers were for a whole season. In Jan look at them again. I frankly do not think Reeves will be much better if any. But if its not worse then we did OK.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
eduncan22;1658975 said:
Henry is a great corner.

I cant wait till he shuts down Brady and Moss.

I would settle with containing Moss and not many will cover him one on one. Moss will get his but if Dallas can limit him on big plays that is a win in and of itself.

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1658977 said:
I would settle with containing Moss and not many will cover him one on one. Moss will get his but if Dallas can limit him on big plays that is a win in and of itself.

Henry did a good job containing Eli and Plax.

Mash

Reaction score
Good move by the Cowboys in keeping the younger players over a aging Glenn

Glenn has more experience but there has to be a time when u need to give the young kids experience.....

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dallas Corners — Taking the Giant Step…
By Rafael Vela

… from craptacular to so-so.

Through two weeks:

Anthony Henry....Succ plays..attempts...yards.....YPA
vs. New York..............1.........7.....122....17.4
vs. Miami.................4.........8......50....6.25
Total.....................5........15.....172....11.5

Henry’s Giants game is one you hide from the wife and kids. Roy Williams took some abuse for his miscues and Jacques Reeves made his share but nobody was abused by Plaxico Burress more than Henry, who gave up three plays of more than 20 yards against the Giants number one, one a 60 yard TD bomb on New York’s third play from scrimmage.

Henry bounced back with a big game against Miami. He had two picks and could have easily had four. Henry dropped a third in stride and knocked down another.

Jacques Reeves...Succ plays..attempts...yards.....YPA
vs. New York..............5........12......59....4.92
vs. Miami.................6........16.....125....7.81
Total....................11........28.....184....6.57

Reeves has been mediocre so far. Not great by any means, but not putrid. He’s been picked on a lot, with 28 attempts in two weeks. If he had to go 16 games at this pace he’d be the most thrown at corner in the NFL.

I mentioned in the Dolphins post game that Reeves’ play was slightly better than Aaron Glenn’s play last year, which brought some protesting posts. On reason for the disagreements may have been the frequency of play; Glenn was targeted only 38 times all last year. Reeves has seen 28 passes come his way in two weeks.

Let’s compare their games:

Player...........Success %..Yards per attempt
Aaron Glenn ‘06 ......38.7................8.0
Jacques Reeves ‘07....39.3................6.6

You’re looking at an Aaron Glenn clone. That said, Glenn’s ‘06 was a step down from his ‘05. If Reeves can gain in confidence he can offer Dallas similar play on the left corner to what Glenn offered in his better Cowboys’ days.

Now, if Henry can continue playing at his week-two level and Terence Newman can come back, the secondary can take a giant step forward as a unit.

JerryFan

Reaction score
I re-watched the game and I really don't think the D played that bad. Henry did have 4 INT's and only caught 2 and that wasn't by mistake and a couple plays they got big yards because Trent made a great throw. Coverage was there Trent just made a good throw. Let's put another piece to the puzzle this week with TNew coming back and we will see what happens. I think we get at least 4 sacks this week and at least 1 pick to go with that. Our pass rush was better then I originally thought in the Miami game also.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
eduncan22;1658982 said:
Henry did a good job containing Eli and Plax.

Plax is not Moss. I don't think playing Moss 1 on 1 is ever a good ideal. He has the height and speed to give any CB a rough day so you better have coverage under and over him.