Vela: The New 'Big Baby' (Holland) Has Cowboys Fans Sleeping Like Infants (Notes)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
by Rafael Vela on Nov 28, 2008 12:15 PM CST

Pardon the older hands if we have a sense of deja vu.

In '95, the Cowboys had the best offensive line in football, with four starters making the Pro Bowl. The lone holdout was Larry Allen, who had not built his reputation yet. The unsung hero of the group was Derek Kennard, a squatty, rotund center/guard picked up in the offseason by Jerry Jones. Kennard had been a starter for New Orleans, but was let go after failing to control his weight.

Kennard started the season at right guard but was quickly overtaken by Allen. When C Ray Donaldson dislocated his ankle in the Thanksgiving Day game against Kansas City, Kennard stepped into the pivot and played at a level not far below Donaldson's. Kennard, whom Nate Newton dubbed "Big Baby," didn't have the greatest stamina, but he was powerful and was able to maintain his level of play for seven games. He kept the running game rolling -- all the way to the Super Bowl.

The Big Baby's football nephew made his first appearance in this year's Thanksgiving Day game and he did his part to restore hope in the '08 campaign. Like Kennard, Montrae Holland is a former Saint. Like Kennard, Holland ate his way off his last team. And like Kennard, Holland appears to have the game to keep the offensive line operating at a higher level.

star-divide.jpg.v5547

Holland isn't perfect. There isn't another Larry Allen under all that girth. But the guy KC Joyner called "Joe Average" showed that average can be good enough. Holland misses pass blocks once in a while, but he can anchor. He'll whiff on linebackers when he tries to block out in space, but he's got some power in his hands and can make defensive tackles move. In short, he's much closer in level of play to Kyle Kosier than Cory Proctor ever was. Consequently, the Cowboys line had its second sackless game since the bye

-- it has allowed just one sack since Tony Romo returned.
Holland's solid debut means the Cowboys nation can turn its worry onto other things, like Marion Barber's right little toe and Demarcus Ware's left knee.

Notes:
-- Is Sam Paulescu the best punter the Cowboys can find? His lack of distance is shocking. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys are scanning waivers for another leg.

-- Another D-lineman steps forward. Jason Hatcher had a strong game yesterday, adding to the list of Cowboys D-linemen who have picked up their games in recent weeks.

-- Short week brain freezes: Mike Holmgren confused the Cowboys' D and produced his team's biggest play of the day. In the first quarter, Julius Jones motioned out of the backfield and lined up as a wide receiver. SS Keith Davis went out into space to cover Jones. For some reason, ILB Zach Thomas also went wide. Matt Hasselbeck threw a pop pass to TE John Carlson in the area Thomas vacated. Carlson raced 33 yards before Terence Newman and Ken Hamlin ran him down.

-- Last spring's draft guides had a split decision on tight ends. One had Texas A&M's Martellus Bennett rated first. Two others had Notre Dame's John Carlson at the top of the list. Both made plays yesterday. Carlson has been Seattle's top receiving weapon all year. The Cowboys' linebackes and safeties will testify.

-- The education of Demarcus Ware: Ware whipped Walter Jones for his first sack by running straight at Jones, hesitating for an instant to free Jones, and then cutting hard and fast around him on the wide side.

Later, Ware started with a cut inside, got Jones to step right to cut him off, then slalomed outside Jones for a second sack.

Ware is getting the hang of setting up tackles now. He's much, much better at getting linemen off balance and getting past. Great speed rushers understand that they can change direction at speed while offensive linemen can't as well. Hope that Ware's MRI is clean, because he's looking more like Charles Haley with every passing week. I can't pinpoint when the light went one for Ware, but his hand usage and understanding of balance and leverage has taken a quantum leap forward this year.

-- Orlando Scandrick was Mike Holmgren's target yesterday and he held up fairly well. I'm concerned about his practice of diving low and head first to tackle opponents. Two years ago, Bill Parcells cautioned Pat Watkins against low dives, because he was exposing his head and neck to injury. Scandrick needs to add some weight and strength. It's clear he's not confident in wrapping up NFL backs and receivers. Still, I wince every time he flies in kamikaze-style to make a stop. He's a promising young player. It would be a shame to see him hurt because his technique is so crazy.

-- A sure sign Marion was not right. The Seahawks started to blitz heavily after rushing four and watching Tony Romo cut them up. Their pressure got guys free. Most of the leakage came from linebackers and secondary blitzers who shoud have been blocked by Marion Barber. He was not his usual self, probably because of his injured toe.

-- Take off the splint, reason #17: Romo had a lot more zip and accuracy yesterday. His deep balls were well placed. This looks a lot like the Romo of old. He was still a tad off on his shorter throws and that should improve against Pittsburgh. This is supposed to be Romo's final game with any type of splint.

-- Football hurts: The Steelers won't feel any sympathy if Barber can't play a week from Sunday. They had to play several early games without Willie Parker and lost Rashard Mendenhall for the year back in October.

Similarly, don't expect any understanding from the Giants the following week if Demarcus Ware has to miss their game. They're doing just fine without Osi Umenyiora.

The Cowboys will have to keep going, regardless of the medical reports.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I guess I am dumb, What did paulescu do wrong.

He had 4.9 on a couple of his punts and to me had a terrific day.

Sometimes I wonder about vela.

Reaction score
As sad as this may sound, I've re-watched the Thursday game almost twice already. Many of the offensive plays, I've concentrated on Holland. I thought he had a solid game. He can pull pretty well at his size, and gets out into the second level. Even if he just gets in the way of LBs & DBs, many times that's enough of a crease to get out backs some nice runs.

I was confused when it became obvious that something was wrong with Barber, and the Cowboys didn't bring Choice in to sub. I mean, that is what he gets paid for, isn't it? When I saw how he more than handled his responsibilities, I was even more baffled. Obviously, the guy played that way in practice, so why not put him in a lot earlier. No use endangering your top RB when you have a player of Choice's talent. He's no Barbarian, but he did calm my concerns of a Barber injury. The young man seems like he can more than hold his own.

I am so excited that we have two rookie running backs who are NFL quality backs. Especially Felix Jones. Next year, he is going to join MBIII as dual 1,000 yd. rushers. Plus, with R. Williams & Owens, we could have two WRs, a TE, and 2 RBs with at least a thousand yds. each. Would that be insane or what? I know, not enough balls to go around. Who knows, though. If we're #1 in defense, we'll have plenty of opps to share the pill.

Aikbach

Reaction score
This article is quite inaccurate as Allen started for the Cowboys from day one in 1995 at right guard, Kennard was actually called out of retirement after the 38 year old Ray Donaldson broke his ankle on Thanksgiving Day against the Chiefs.

Kennard was plugged in at center an Dallas went 2-2 the rest of the regular season before turning it on in the playoffs and surviving the Super Bowl.

The lone Cowboy starter to not make the pro bowl was actually Erik Williams.

4 Cowboys were voted starters on the NFC line, including the injured Donaldson who obviously did not play in the game.

Smith22

Reaction score
theebs;2451475 said:

Paulescu was awful before the Seahags game, but I do agree that Vela had some bad timing with this one. The Seahags game was easily Paulescu's best as a Cowboy.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Aikbach;2451487 said:
This article is quite inaccurate as Allen started for the Cowboys from day one in 1995 at right guard, Kennard was actually called out of retirement after the 38 year old Ray Donaldson broke his ankle on Thanksgiving Day against the Chiefs.

Kennard was plugged in at center an Dallas went 2-2 the rest of the regular season before turning it on in the playoffs and surviving the Super Bowl.

The lone Cowboy starter to not make the pro bowl was actually Erik Williams.

4 Cowboys were voted starters on the NFC line, including the injured Donaldson who obviously did not play in the game.

No, Kennard was signed in the offseason that year. He did not come out of retirement.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
theebs;2451475 said:

What Vela is saying is about the distance on his punts. But have to agree here, Paulescu is been more than servicable, considering he was signed off the street.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
Cogan;2451483 said:
As sad as this may sound, I've re-watched the Thursday game almost twice already. Many of the offensive plays, I've concentrated on Holland. I thought he had a solid game. He can pull pretty well at his size, and gets out into the second level. Even if he just gets in the way of LBs & DBs, many times that's enough of a crease to get out backs some nice runs.

I was confused when it became obvious that something was wrong with Barber, and the Cowboys didn't bring Choice in to sub. I mean, that is what he gets paid for, isn't it? When I saw how he more than handled his responsibilities, I was even more baffled. Obviously, the guy played that way in practice, so why not put him in a lot earlier. No use endangering your top RB when you have a player of Choice's talent. He's no Barbarian, but he did calm my concerns of a Barber injury. The young man seems like he can more than hold his own.

I am so excited that we have two rookie running backs who are NFL quality backs. Especially Felix Jones. Next year, he is going to join MBIII as dual 1,000 yd. rushers. Plus, with R. Williams & Owens, we could have two WRs, a TE, and 2 RBs with at least a thousand yds. each. Would that be insane or what? I know, not enough balls to go around. Who knows, though. If we're #1 in defense, we'll have plenty of opps to share the pill.

I thought I was the only guy doing that, lol.

I watch every game two or three times, even the bad ones.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
EveryoneElse;2452028 said:
I thought I was the only guy doing that, lol.

I watch every game two or three times, even the bad ones.

You're a very sick man. You are a Cowboy addict. :)

BTW, I bet many of us watch games over and over. It's nothing to be ashamed of. You and I were probably born with it anyway. Just learn to live with it.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Eskimo;2451619 said:
No, Kennard was signed in the offseason that year. He did not come out of retirement.
He was on 1994 roster and started after Williams was hurt, I think this reporter has accidentally crossed the seasons together in that regard.

He was not even invited to the 1995 training camp which I attended and have a full roster of as a souvenir. I'm quite confident that he did not start the season on the Dallas bench.

Ron Stone, Dale Hellestrae and George Hegamin were the reserves on opening day.

Daudr

Reaction score
jobberone;2452081 said:
You're a very sick man. You are a Cowboy addict. :)

BTW, I bet many of us watch games over and over. It's nothing to be ashamed of. You and I were probably born with it anyway. Just learn to live with it.

Hehe, I'm watching it over again right now as I peruse the board.