Very cool Payton/Emmitt video...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Loved it.

Did any RB ever use blockers better than Emmitt? I swear he knew exactly how to maximize what they gave him.

Shaun

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Loved it.

Did any RB ever use blockers better than Emmitt? I swear he knew exactly how to maximize what they gave him.

Exactly right. On some of those runs, Emmitt uses his vision perfectly so that defenders can't attempt anything more than an arm tackle. IMO, his two greatest assets are his incredible vision and balance.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
thescarface1989 said:
:grin: Yeah Thats My Video! I made it a while back.:cool:

It's brilliant, can you load it as a YSI file please.

TheHustler

Reaction score
Man, Emmitt in his prime was unbelievable. The spin moves, bouncing off tacklers, twisting ever so slightly to avoid the big hit.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Shaun said:
Exactly right. On some of those runs, Emmitt uses his vision perfectly so that defenders can't attempt anything more than an arm tackle. IMO, his two greatest assets are his incredible vision and balance.

Shaun is right, Emmitt had an outstanding combination of vision, balance, power, agility, and technique. He used his blockers extremely well, used his hands to shed would-be tacklers, and never really took solid hits which is why he was able to last so long. He was also one of the best blocking RBs ever.

IMO the only other RB with a similar combination of skills was Walter Payton. I rank them 1a and 1b with a slight edge to Payton for his ability as a receiver. Jim Brown comes in at #2.

MONT17

Reaction score
watching video of Emmitt makes me wonder what people see in JULES... JULES is not a special back!!! EMMITT is a SPECIAL RB!!!

the Highlights of him in the GIANTS game I found my self turning in my chair to try to figure out what shoulder he seperated on that run because I couldnt tell what side was hurt because he wasnt favoring it!!!

TheHustler

Reaction score
MONT17 said:
watching video of Emmitt makes me wonder what people see in JULES... JULES is not a special back!!! EMMITT is a SPECIAL RB!!!

the Highlights of him in the GIANTS game I found my self turning in my chair to try to figure out what shoulder he seperated on that run because I couldnt tell what side was hurt because he wasnt favoring it!!!

No one is comparing Julius to Emmitt. But watch the Turkey Day game vs the Bears, the game vs the Seahawks and the game vs Carolina. You can't help but think Julius has got something.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Man, I love Emmitt !
I love watching Emmit Smith !

He was a special back, ... gifted with vision, balance, power, subtle moves, and a stubbornness not to go down.

But WOW, he had some awesome blocking too !

(thanks for posting that video)

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
thescarface1989 said:
:grin: Yeah Thats My Video! I made it a while back.:cool:

great video!dont get me wrong,I was hoping to see more Walter in it.IMO,those are two of the best ever!