Video: Brad and Mickey talk D Lineman/Spencer

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
[youtube]Yi6AJ9SWbC8[/youtube]
---------------------------

Spears looks like he wants a new contract. He comes into camp in the best shape of his life.

What happened to the first four years?

:bang2:

Olshansky is going to be just as good as Canty.

Ratliff is a monster.

Hatcher. When?

Depth. It's a concern if you ask me.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2874440 said:
[youtube]Yi6AJ9SWbC8[/youtube]
---------------------------

Spears looks like he wants a new contract. He comes into camp in the best shape of his life.

What happened to the first four years?

Pretty sure when he was drafted he was around 290-295, and Parcells hounded him for a yr to gain weight and keep it on.

He had a good yr last yr, almost nobody gives him credit for it. I think he's gonna be really solid this yr.

Olshansky is going to be just as good as Canty.

Against the run I have no doubts he'll be as good if not better, and while Canty wasnt great at rushing the passer, I think he is better at it than Olshansky.

Ratliff is a monster.

Yep

Hatcher. When?

Really showed flashes as a rookie, since then. Nada.

Depth. It's a concern if you ask me.

Bowen and Hatcher are nice depth players. They are nowhere near as good as Spears/Olshansky, but they are ok. Hopefully will see something in preseason from a backup NT.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Pacells calls every guy he wants to gain weight "Chubby Checker" and "Fats Domino"?

I'm pretty sure Spears was fat and overweight from day one and Parcells called him out on it.

Bluefin

Reaction score
dbair1967;2874456 said:
Bowen and Hatcher are nice depth players.

I think Stephen Bowen will be a nice surprise this season as a nickel defensive tackle. I will be very surprised if he doesn't make a lot more noise in the role than Chris Canty ever did.

I'm still waiting for Jason Hatcher to turn the corner. He makes for nice depth, but he was supposed to challenge for a starting job a couple of years ago.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
With Spears, you have to remember that Wade and Parcells run two very different 3-4 schemes. Parcells wanted the front seven to be big, Wade wants more of a quicker front seven since they have different gap responsibilities.

Then when Wade took over I'm guessing Spears really didn't know what to do weight wise since you need to be lighter in Wade's scheme, but it's still a 3-4 scheme. He played pretty well last year and now he's really into a groove of playing in a scheme more designed for him and understanding what is needed.

YAKUZA