Video: Emmitt or Jerry? - 8/8/09

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
[youtube]2fLMQLi_s3I[/youtube]

--------------------

Don’t say it even though I know you are all thinking it.

Emmitt won’t be making up any new words folks, lol.

And if it comes down to a vote I expect us Cowboys fans to kill the Niners fans on this one.

JPostSam

Reaction score
i love emmitt.

but jerry rice deserves to be last, and it isn't even close.

we all know there are arguments for others being the best rb of all time. there is no question who is the best wr ever. rice is so far out ahead of everybody who has every played the game that this is not a difficult decision at all.

...but emmitt should be second-to-last.
:star:

playmakers

Reaction score
We had this conversation at our texas hold em game tonight. Personally, I think Emmitt would give Jerry that spot. I was the biggest Emmitt Smith fan and still am, but I think you have to give it to Jerry Rice. Emmitt does have our fanbase behind him and that could prove big. Jerry, hands down, is considered the best WR of all time. Emmitt, on the other hand, you would have an argument when asking who the best RB of all time is. These are just the facts. All I know is next years Hall of Fame is going to sell out. Honestly, is there really a loser in this? Since I am an Emmitt fan Ill make a case for him.

1. Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith both have 3 Superbowls but it was 2-1 when Emmitt was in the league.

2. Jerry Rice had 6-8 games a year where he could rack his stats against sorry defenses of the Falcons, Rams, Saints and later expansion franchise in the Panthers. Emmitt had absolute battles when he played the Eagles, Giants and Commanders. That should count for something including a wear down effect.

3. Rice had two of the greatest QB's in the history of the game to throw to him.

Like I said, is there really a loser in this.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
JPostSam;2873755 said:
i love emmitt.

we all know there are arguments for others being the best rb of all time. there is no question who is the best wr ever. rice is so far out ahead of everybody who has every played the game that this is not a difficult decision at all.

...but emmitt should be second-to-last.
:star:

playmakers;2873757 said:
We had this conversation at our texas hold em game tonight. Personally, I think Emmitt would give Jerry that spot. I was the biggest Emmitt Smith fan and still am, but I think you have to give it to Jerry Rice. Emmitt does have our fanbase behind him and that could prove big. Jerry, hands down, is considered the best WR of all time. Emmitt, on the other hand, you would have an argument when asking who the best RB of all time is. These are just the facts. All I know is next years Hall of Fame is going to sell out. Honestly, is there really a loser in this? Since I am an Emmitt fan Ill make a case for him.

1. Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith both have 3 Superbowls but it was 2-1 when Emmitt was in the league.

2. Jerry Rice had 6-8 games a year where he could rack his stats against sorry defenses of the Falcons, Rams, Saints and later expansion franchise in the Panthers. Emmitt had absolute battles when he played the Eagles, Giants and Commanders. That should count for something including a wear down effect.

3. Rice had two of the greatest QB's in the history of the game to throw to him.

It may be unpopular but for my money Don Hutson is the #1 WR and again Don did it during the mugging years and played DB to boot.

ZB9

Reaction score
JPostSam;2873755 said:
i love emmitt.

well it's certainly close

we are talking about the all time leading rusher. That is probably the second most prestigious individual record in American pro sports, behind only the home run record.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
ZB9;2873768 said:
well it's certainly close

we are talking about the all time leading rusher. That is probably the second most prestigious individual record in American pro sports, behind only the home run record.

You bring up an interesting point. The rushing record has only been held by 3 guys since the 50s (Brown, Payton, & Emmitt). Other than the past 10 years, the reception record has been broken every 5 years or so (I'd have to look it up but I can think of 5 guys off the top of my head and I know there were at least one or two others). The increases in the passing game and rules that favor it have made it a lot easier for WRs to rack up huge numbers.

That said, Rice still put the receiving records about as far as Jim Brown did the rushing records.

So in short, the rushing record is a more important one and I don't see anyone currently in the league with a realistic shot at breaking it, so it will likely stand for at least another 10-15 years (it would take that long for anyone to get close anyway).

Rice has set the receiving records so far above what they were that it is likely to take that long or longer before anyone comes close to breaking them. Still, you never know, if a guy like Randy Moss continues to have productive seasons and can play another 6 years or so... Who knows?

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2873786 said:
It's the NFL so of course Jerry will be last.
If they do that online vote, you can be SURE that every Cowboy Hater ( not a 49er fan ) will vote for Jerry out of spite.

yentl911

Reaction score
playmakers;2873757 said:

Great post. Great post. In addition, a RB takes much more of a beating due to constant collisions - not only running the ball but blocking as well. Also, I do not know what the career expectancy is of a WR but I think I read that a RB has an NFL life expectancy of around 2 years.....my vote goes to Emmitt.

ZB9

Reaction score
THUMPER;2873775 said:
You bring up an interesting point. The rushing record has only been held by 3 guys since the 50s (Brown, Payton, & Emmitt). Other than the past 10 years, the reception record has been broken every 5 years or so (I'd have to look it up but I can think of 5 guys off the top of my head and I know there were at least one or two others). The increases in the passing game and rules that favor it have made it a lot easier for WRs to rack up huge numbers.

That said, Rice still put the receiving records about as far as Jim Brown did the rushing records.

So in short, the rushing record is a more important one and I don't see anyone currently in the league with a realistic shot at breaking it, so it will likely stand for at least another 10-15 years (it would take that long for anyone to get close anyway).

Rice has set the receiving records so far above what they were that it is likely to take that long or longer before anyone comes close to breaking them. Still, you never know, if a guy like Randy Moss continues to have productive seasons and can play another 6 years or so... Who knows?

I agree with everything you state. Like you said, there have been many people break the receiving record, but very few when it comes to the rushing record.

the main point imo is that the rushing record is much more prestigious than the receiving yards record. I would say the all time rushing record is the second most prestigious record in American pro sports, second only to the home run record in baseball. I dont know how they cant have the all time rushing leader as the headliner.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
In regards to records and yards gained people in general only care about the RB and QB. I have to admit this is a tough one on who should go last. Both players had outstanding carrers and dominated their postion and put up numbers that will not be challenged for some time. I do not know and really it does not matter. The 2010 HOF class is loaded with talent!

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
quick easy way to settle it, have the HOF game the day before the cermony Dallas vs. SF... if we win Emmit goes last if they win Jerry goes last... there ya go decide it on the field... lol

rathalarge

Reaction score
Emmitt goes last because (R)ice comes before (S)mith alphabetically. Besides, Jerry's hairline started to recede before Emmitt's!! LOL