Video: Josh Brent-Price vs Minnesota

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
[youtube]QYx_NrJF1gM[/youtube]
------------------------

This isn't every play, but these will show you what he's all about.

First play of the game the kid goes and picks up a sack.

He's got a burst on some plays and once he gets a step on the OL it's swrap because he's huge.

I want to nickname him 'Spin Move' because every time he gets stuck to a lineman he seems to revert to the spin. It doesn't really do much for him because he's so big and usually he's spinning in place.

I do like what I see though.

Light on his feet and always active. You even see him on one play just jumping over a down lineman to make sure he gets into the gap.

Seemed to wear down a little toward the end of the game.

He's a 7th rounder and I think he's worth every penny of the 7th round.

RS12

Reaction score
I'm guessing the guy sticks at least on the PS. Like to see him making plays versus Ohio St or Penn St instead of a mediocre Gopher team however.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Ya he's worth the flyer. Give Siavii some competition in camp. Maybe Wade see's some Jamal Williams in him.

Im interested to see how many Dlineman we have on the roster once the season starts.

Looks like Lissimore,Siavii and Brent are all competing for that NT job. Lissimore might have edge because of his versitlity at DE also.

Apluz

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3461841 said:
Ya he's worth the flyer. Give Siavii some competition in camp. Maybe Wade see's some Jamal Williams in him.

Im interested to see how many Dlineman we have on the roster once the season starts.

Looks like Lissimore,Siavii and Brent are all competing for that NT job. Lissimore might have edge because of his versitlity at DE also.

Didn't see that one coming.

The dude is not ready to play right now and I'm not sure a training camp worth of work can get him ready. What I saw in that game was a guy that flashed a couple of times, but he dose not really have a motor at all. On too many plays, once the action was out of his box he started walking. A play that really bothered me was the TD ran in near the Goal line the RB was like 2-3 ft away from him in a stalemate the kid could of got in on the action but he just watched it as the RB eventually scores.

If the coaches can get in his head and he puts in the work he might be something in a season or two but this looks like the typical 7th round project to me right now.

I'm thinking we might keep 7 D-linemen this season 5 DE's and 2 DT's/NT's.... Dallas will be looking closely at there young DE's this camp because we have 3 veterans (Spears, Bowen, Hatcher) that will be FA's next season. I wouldn't be surprised if Spears was traded before the season starts if any of the young guys steps up in Training camp.

I would not be shocked with a Spears trade that Sean Lissemore, Marcus Dixon, and Lorenzo Washington all make the squad. If Spears sticks then look for one of them to be added to the practice squad.

For the record I would rather we kept Spears this season.

windjc

Reaction score
I didnt see anything in that video except size that would make this guy draftable.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
windjc;3461899 said:
I didnt see anything in that video except size that would make this guy draftable.

Really. I saw a guy doing exactly what you want a NT/DT to do. I saw him get penetration even though he was double teamed alot. He had a sack and was very close two other times. Thats a good days work for a DT. It wasn't until the last two plays on the video that I saw him moved backwards from the line of scrimmage. I also saw the other team running away from his side almost every time they ran the ball. For the most part I saw him hold his ground even against double teams and get decent penetration for a DT. Is he a superstar? No. Is he worth a shot in the 7th round? Unquestionably YES!!!!!

thor_01

Reaction score
Cowboys22;3461938 said:
Really. I saw a guy doing exactly what you want a NT/DT to do. I saw him get penetration even though he was double teamed alot. He had a sack and was very close two other times. Thats a good days work for a DT. It wasn't until the last two plays on the video that I saw him moved backwards from the line of scrimmage. I also saw the other team running away from his side almost every time they ran the ball. For the most part I saw him hold his ground even against double teams and get decent penetration for a DT. Is he a superstar? No. Is he worth a shot in the 7th round? Unquestionably YES!!!!!

exactly, they either double teamed him, or ran away from him, but 95% of the time he did his job, and for a big man that is worth a 7th all day long..........

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
dcfanatic;3461839 said:
[youtube]QYx_NrJF1gM[/youtube]
------------------------
He's a 7th rounder and I think he's worth every penny of the 7th round.

No bout a dout it.

Yo, thx for the Vid!:starspin

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
windjc;3461899 said:
You can't coach size. Any other shortcomings is fixable. FWIW he didn't look like anything special to me but that isn't much work to honestly judge him by.

flashback

Real Man of Genius
Reaction score
He's big and strong, so he's 2/3 of the way there. The coaches are going to work on his hands and his pad level. If he can play a little closer to the ground, he can be a valuable backup/rotational guy.

I like this pick better than Sam Young and Sean Lissemore. Nothing against those guys, but I think this guy is closer to ready and has a higher ceiling.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The very first thing the coaches will do with this guy is get him to erase that spin move from memory.

Otherwise, he looks like a guy who has a great frame for a 3-4 NT with decent quickness off the snap and can push the pile a bit.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboys22;3461938 said:

Wind wants him to have a sack on every play or the guy is a waste of time, lol.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Apluz;3461886 said:
Didn't see that one coming.

The dude is not ready to play right now and I'm not sure a training camp worth of work can get him ready. What I saw in that game was a guy that flashed a couple of times, but he dose not really have a motor at all. On too many plays, once the action was out of his box he started walking. A play that really bothered me was the TD ran in near the Goal line the RB was like 2-3 ft away from him in a stalemate the kid could of got in on the action but he just watched it as the RB eventually scores.

If the coaches can get in his head and he puts in the work he might be something in a season or two but this looks like the typical 7th round project to me right now.

I'm thinking we might keep 7 D-linemen this season 5 DE's and 2 DT's/NT's.... Dallas will be looking closely at there young DE's this camp because we have 3 veterans (Spears, Bowen, Hatcher) that will be FA's next season. I wouldn't be surprised if Spears was traded before the season starts if any of the young guys steps up in Training camp.

I would not be shocked with a Spears trade that Sean Lissemore, Marcus Dixon, and Lorenzo Washington all make the squad. If Spears sticks then look for one of them to be added to the practice squad.

For the record I would rather we kept Spears this season.

Could not agree more. If anything this explains some of the comments about having Brent-Price learn DE first. The guy is stood up way too much in the run game. Not exactly what you want in a NT, especially your backup. He's strength is rushing the passer, but that's Rat's strength as well. No way Brent-Price replaces Rat on passing downs. If anything, Rat needs a breather on sure running downs. And Brent-Price may be wide (ie fat) but he lacks power and a hustle mentality. The guy playing beside him (#97) may not be as talented, but the guy had a much better motor.

I doubt Brent-Price replaces Siavii this season. He will be lucky to make the PS if he does not find a work ethic/become an all day sucker.

Stautner

Reaction score
flashback;3461957 said:
He's big and strong, so he's 2/3 of the way there. The coaches are going to work on his hands and his pad level. If he can play a little closer to the ground, he can be a valuable backup/rotational guy.

I like this pick better than Sam Young and Sean Lissemore. Nothing against those guys, but I think this guy is closer to ready and has a higher ceiling.

Definitely a higher ceiling than Sam Young, but not so sure about Lissemor. Lissemore is incredibly fast for a guy his size, much like Ratliff is. The adjustment from a smaller school is his immediate problem.