Volek

BlueWave

Reaction score
Okay, it sounds like the Titans are going to sign Kerry Collins. What are the chances Volek becomes available in a trade? Collins and Young could certainly hold down the fort on a team that will likely not even have a .500 record. Will the Titans shop Volek? Would we be interested? Should we be interested?

Volek is going to be 30, and would not only solve our back-up QB worries, but would give us a guy we might get two or three more years out of once Bledsoe retires. He has been very solid in his starting opportunities so far, and really is a Phil Simms, Jake Delhomme type QB. Seems to find a way to get it done, on good teams.

My thoughts are this, the now Titans have no reason to go with Volek this season. They will not be a .500 team, and they know it. It will only be time until they force Vince Young into the starting Line-up. Volek, although effective on a good team, will likely struggle being "the guy" at this point, on a below average team. With the signing of Collins, the QB position is going to be awfully crowded and and awfully expensive for a below average team. Volek is certainly the most tradeable QB.

Thoughts.......

johnnycomelately

Reaction score
What would you be willing to give up for Volek? Or do you wait for his release? Then who goes? Romo, Henson or Bledsoe?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
This move by the Titans doesn't really make much sense to me. They have Volek already to hold down the starting job until Young is ready and they build a team to play around him. It would seem to me that it would be less of a controversy to replace Volek with Young when they are ready that to replace Collins. Either they believe that they are more ready to compete than the rest of us believe and they don't think Volek can get it done (in which case why would we want him) or they are actually afraid that Volek will be too good and will keep young on the bench (ala the Brees / Rivers situation). I don't see it being the latter case or they never would have drafted Young. So my thinking is that the Titans do not think enough of Volek to keep him and they know more about him than we do; so why would we want him.

Is that some convoluted thinking or what? :p:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
johnnycomelately said:
What would you be willing to give up for Volek? Or do you wait for his release? Then who goes? Romo, Henson or Bledsoe?
Well obviously not Bledsoe as long as BP is here and I think at this point Romo's stock is a little higher around Valley Ranch than Henson's. So if we did get Volek the only option at this point looks like letting Henson go. Henson is still one of Jerry's Kid's so I don't see that happening; I guess we just don't get Volek.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
I think the reasoning is based on a false premise. That premise being that because a team is probably not going to be very good anyway, that they should want to get rid of their #1 QB. I certainly would not come to that conclusion.

Although that could be the reason we kept QC all those years and signed Hutch, because we knew we weren't going to be very good anyway. So why try to get a good QB.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
This move by the Titans doesn't really make much sense to me. They have Volek already to hold down the starting job until Young is ready and they build a team to play around him.
Maybe Collins has finally accepted the fact that he's no more than a third stringer at this point...

Or, more likely, the Titans are determined that Young is not going to see the field this year, and they want to make sure he doesn't have to in case Volek gets injured.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Maybe Collins has finally accepted the fact that he's no more than a third stringer at this point...

Collins is playing a waiting game.

The minute a starting QB with poor depth behind him (sounds like Dallas) goes down to injury, he has hit the jackpot. It's more of a waiting game than Collins looking in the mirror and being honest with himself.

BlueWave

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
This move by the Titans doesn't really make much sense to me. They have Volek already to hold down the starting job until Young is ready and they build a team to play around him. It would seem to me that it would be less of a controversy to replace Volek with Young when they are ready that to replace Collins. Either they believe that they are more ready to compete than the rest of us believe and they don't think Volek can get it done (in which case why would we want him) or they are actually afraid that Volek will be too good and will keep young on the bench (ala the Brees / Rivers situation). I don't see it being the latter case or they never would have drafted Young. So my thinking is that the Titans do not think enough of Volek to keep him and they know more about him than we do; so why would we want him.

Is that some convoluted thinking or what? :p:

Again, Volek will be 30. We are talking about a team that is probably a few years away from even contending. So, why not Draft a QB, even though you already have a solid option (Volek). Three years, from now, Volek is 33.

I think Volek is a solid QB on a good team, but probably will never be an elite QB. In other words, the perfect back-up in a situation like ours.

You kind of get the feeling if Collins ends up a Titan, that they will not go into the season with all three of them. I just think that they are going to try to get Volek out of the way by bringing in Collins. You then have your over-the-hill-vet, and your rookie in wainting to start. Your in between guy, Volek, is sent away basically so he doesn't get in the way of Young. Vince Young will sell tickets, Volek won't. Collins is easy to turn on. Volek may not be.

BlueWave

Reaction score
LeonDixson said:
I think the reasoning is based on a false premise. That premise being that because a team is probably not going to be very good anyway, that they should want to get rid of their #1 QB. I certainly would not come to that conclusion.

Although that could be the reason we kept QC all those years and signed Hutch, because we knew we weren't going to be very good anyway. So why try to get a good QB.

That's simple, Vince Young will fill seats even on a losing team. Billy Volek won't sell seats. It's easier to bring in a guy like Collins, who was going to retire at one point, tell him they will give him a cool million with the understanding that he likley won't finish the season as the starter.

Try telling Volek that, he already has different ideas. Get him out of the way. God for bid he (Volek) plays well enough that the team ends up 6-10, 7-9 and they cannot find a reason to start their money maker.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Alexander said:
It hasn't happened yet.
Ok, if it does happen it won't make sense to me; at least not until I hear their reasoning...if then.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
BlueWave said:
That's simple, Vince Young will fill seats even on a losing team. Billy Volek won't sell seats. It's easier to bring in a guy like Collins, who was going to retire at one point, tell him they will give him a cool million with the understanding that he likley won't finish the season as the starter.

Try telling Volek that, he already has different ideas. Get him out of the way. God for bid he (Volek) plays well enough that the team ends up 6-10, 7-9 and they cannot find a reason to start their money maker.

Well, I disagree but that's okay. If he get's released or traded you're right.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Ok, if it does happen it won't make sense to me; at least not until I hear their reasoning...if then.

I completely agree that it doesn't make sense.

Signing Collins just to get Volek out the door to make it "easier" to get Young on the field?

Sounds too contrived to me.

MONT17

Reaction score
I hope Collins sings with ATL so they can trade/cute Matt Schaub... the T-Men cant be the only team to think KERRY COLLINS is better than VOLEK!!!

sad

JonCJG

Reaction score
IF the Cowboys cut Drew Henson I would not be surprised if we traded for a vet, or signed one in the ilk of Collins or Fielder.

I want to see if Romo has what it takes to be a starting qb but not during a playoff run or worse, deep in the playoffs.