Wade impressed the heck out of me

superpunk

Reaction score
You can find flaws with how Jerry handled the whole thing, and plenty of people are, but in the end, how can you not like the decision he made after watching that press conference?

Over and over again, we heard phrases like "family", "putting your best players in a position to make plays", etc. A major (and founded) criticism of Parcells is that he would not always do that, and might try to fit square pegs in round holes. Wade's description of what he has done with just the different nose tackles he's coached over the years was a summary of how flexible he is. His easy going nature just reinforced it.

In addition, I was pleased with how charismatic he was. Maybe that's just selfish, but I like listening to PCs, and I like being entertained during them. His jabs at the media (the Terrell Owens jab) some of the other things he said, the guy's just extremely likeable. That charisma no doubt carries over to his players, as we've seen numerous interviews with guys from the Chargers reinforcing that.

He's going to do some fantastic things with our defense. The staff issues (if you perceive them that way) will work themselves out. He's handling that, too, in the best possible manner. We've got playmakers on this team, certainly more than they did in Buffalo when he was there - I'm excited to see how he designs things for them.

Heck, I'm just excited. I thought he was the right choice all along, and I'm glad Jerry made that choice, especially after hearing him talk about being a Texan, and getting those Cowboy boots back in Texas. Nice.....See ya at the draft, Wade. ;)

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Personally, I see nothing wrong with the way JJ handled this situation. He interviewed everyone available which is a smart thing not only for now, but for the future.

Just because the media will get their shorts in a knot because they went overboard with the Norv speculation and were totally wrong is no reason for JJ to take blame.

Under the circumstances and the team we currently have, I think this was the best hire possible, but he owed it to the fans to interview all the young guys as well to make sure he wasn't overlooking some great opportunity.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I thought he was great!! Nothing worse than a fake "energy" guy, who just wants to have his face and his quotes all over the paper.. Wade just let the game come to him.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
i like the way jerruh handled it. being that he has ALOT ALOT ALOT to learn about football, speaking to real football guys for 5-8 hours at a clip can only help. 10 interviews probably wasn't even enough for him to soak up info :)

plus he actually made a good choice for our situation, and left the past in the past where it belonged.

superpunk

Reaction score
ELDudearino;1369326 said:
No you can't:D

I don't have any problem with it, personally. I don't think you could have done it any better.

He had to hire Garrett when he did. He wanted him on the team, and there was a limited opportunity. Sparano is already in place, so Phillips was going to have to work with him anyways. But Garrett is part of the plan, and they acted when they had to.

Jerry's search was exhaustive. He absolutely made the correct choice, and did it the right way. I can see the areas some people had a problem with, and their qualms make sense - I just think it happened the way it HAD to happen. And watching Wade yesterday just reinforced that.

BroGreg

Reaction score
Jerry did good.

Wade has inherited a nice team, so I hope it won't take away from any accomplishments he might make while with the team.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was impressed with Wade too. His sense of humor in front of the media horde shows that he can handle the pressure of being the head coach of the highest profile team in pro sports. He seems to really have a plan for how to handle things. Speaking of handling things, when he said "I don't handle players, I work with them" I just loved it! He is confident, witty, seasoned and more charming than I ever knew. And he's a 3-4 guru, so our defense should shine. Our offense has many weapons. Our special teams improved as the season went on with Austin, Gramatica and McBriar leading the way. Now our defensive players should have a clue as to what they're doing and why. Imagine Roy Williams being used the way he's supposed to be. I like this.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
superpunk;1369171 said:
You can find flaws with how Jerry handled the whole thing, and plenty of people are, but in the end, how can you not like the decision he made after watching that press conference?

Over and over again, we heard phrases like "family", "putting your best players in a position to make plays", etc. A major (and founded) criticism of Parcells is that he would not always do that, and might try to fit square pegs in round holes. Wade's description of what he has done with just the different nose tackles he's coached over the years was a summary of how flexible he is. His easy going nature just reinforced it.

In addition, I was pleased with how charismatic he was. Maybe that's just selfish, but I like listening to PCs, and I like being entertained during them. His jabs at the media (the Terrell Owens jab) some of the other things he said, the guy's just extremely likeable. That charisma no doubt carries over to his players, as we've seen numerous interviews with guys from the Chargers reinforcing that.

He's going to do some fantastic things with our defense. The staff issues (if you perceive them that way) will work themselves out. He's handling that, too, in the best possible manner. We've got playmakers on this team, certainly more than they did in Buffalo when he was there - I'm excited to see how he designs things for them.

Heck, I'm just excited. I thought he was the right choice all along, and I'm glad Jerry made that choice, especially after hearing him talk about being a Texan, and getting those Cowboy boots back in Texas. Nice.....See ya at the draft, Wade. ;)

I agree. I think Wade is the right fit at the right time.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His confidence impressed me. He was humble and respectful, but not in awe or overwhelmed at all. He knows what he's capable of doing and that showed in his press conference.

I was especially impressed with how well he handle certain subjects - like Terrell Owens. Instead of a standard, non-committal response, he went right to it.

That line about mentioning his name was nice. Showed right off the bat that he's not coaching in Parcells' shadow. It's his team now and he's going to run things his way.

And the stats about Moulds and Shannon Sharpe show that if Owens does his job, there should be no complaints. Owens is definitely a resource for this team and he should be brought back. And I think Phillips type of coaching should be just what the guy needs.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
superpunk;1369348 said:
I don't have any problem with it, personally. I don't think you could have done it any better.

He had to hire Garrett when he did. He wanted him on the team, and there was a limited opportunity. Sparano is already in place, so Phillips was going to have to work with him anyways. But Garrett is part of the plan, and they acted when they had to.
I agree. I don't get the outrage on hiring Garrett before the HC was in place. Yes, that isn't the way it's normally done, but I think Jerry isn't just making excuses when he says that the way the rules are now, you sometimes have to grab a talented guy when you can. The new rules about not letting assistants out of contracts even for promotions has thrown a HUGE monkey wrench into the hiring process. In fact, I wonder if the owners will change that somehow, because while I get the phony titles that were being created to basically enable lateral moves, now you can get caught (like we almost are) where you can be completely hamstrung as far as hiring assistants.

So I think Jerry is right. Things really are different now.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I agree JJ did about as well as he could have possibly done.

With everything I have read and from his PC yesterday I must say.... I am impressed with Coach Phillips.

I like his positive attitude which I believe is just what the Doctor odered to get this team to where we want it to be. With his "Good Old Boy" personality
I think we will all be surprised at his motivational skills.

Mark my words.....This team will enter and finish the season ready to kick butt.

ddh33

Reaction score
The truth is, a lot of people were going to complain no matter what happened. They were going to blame Jerry for not getting a good enough coach, even though there isn't one person hired this offseason who blew me away.

As is, I think Jerry did about the best that could be done. Wade Phillips has always been a much better coach than he's been credited for. To go along with a great defensive coach, Jerry also managed to keep the two bright young coaches on this staff (Sparano and Bowles) while adding another bright young offensive mind in Jason Garrett. Looks to me like this is about the best anyone could have hoped for.

JPM

Reaction score
superpunk;1369171 said:

I wonder what Larry thinks of this hire ???? :write:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I watched the press conference this morning and I was impressed with Wade as well...

He said alot of encouraging words, and his manner was very humble like. Plus, he's a Texas cat and he know the value of football in Texdas and the Cowboys tradition. I think it's gonna be fun!

:star:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Cbz40;1369829 said:
I agree JJ did about as well as he could have possibly done.

With everything I have read and from his PC yesterday I must say.... I am impressed with Coach Phillips.

I like his positive attitude which I believe is just what the Doctor odered to get this team to where we want it to be. With his "Good Old Boy" personality
I think we will all be surprised at his motivational skills.

Mark my words.....This team will enter and finish the season ready to kick butt.

i know ill be at the Alamodome for training camp this summer.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
To be honest, although I enjoyed the press conference, in the end I really don't care that much about any of it. All I want is to see this defense dominate and Romo and the offense continue to put up big numbers.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
No doubt Wade impressed me a whole lot as well. The guy to me obviously knows what it takes to win and seems like a Great guy as well!

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Surprising to me most of all was his under-stated, but very evident self-confidence.

With several comments he made he let it be known that he KNOWS he's a good football coach and he SHOULD have been the hire.