Wade or Garrett

btcutter

Reaction score
Lets say we make it to the big dance SB and Garrett is being pursued by several clubs for HC job. Who are you going to keep or make as HC of our Boys next yr?

Wade or Garrett????

my vote goes to Wade! Yes, Garrett may be the hottest OC but it's entirely different to run an offense than it is to organize the entire team. See Norv Turner, Pete Carrol and other coordinators that have failed. Furthermore, I am not sure if I trust him with only several seasons of coaching in the NFL. If Wade gets our D to perform well and gets our team to SB, I want to keep him. I will find another OC that can work with Romo. Hey, JJ can always throw money at Garrett later and get him back.

Zman5

Reaction score
I think Garrett needs another year or two.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Without a doubt, Wade. He has improved the defense more than Garrett has improved the offense.

Over the past 25 games, Wade has coached for two teams. Those team with him have a 22-3 record. Those teams without him have a 14-11 record.

77Cowboy

Reaction score
I am going to be a very unhappy Cowboy fan If I see Garrett as the HC of one of our rivals.

JJ needs to lock him up with cash and a solid chance at being the HC.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
I think if we get to the Superbowl with Wade that we would be totally classless to get rid of him. All apologies to Jason but that would just be wrong.:starspin

Big Dakota

Reaction score
I don't care what anyone says, you DO NOT let JG get away. We have a young DC that knows Wade's 34 D.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
theogt;1761966 said:
Without a doubt, Wade. He has improved the defense more than Garrett has improved the offense.

Got to agree here. Sporano was no slouch at the playcalling himself. And, as redundant as it is, without the Parcells shackles, Sporano could do just as well at exploiting teams as Garrett has.

SS

:star:

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
77Cowboy;1761967 said:
I am going to be a very unhappy Cowboy fan If I see Garrett as the HC of one of our rivals.

JJ needs to lock him up with cash and a solid chance at being the HC.

I just hope Garrett didn't steal Tom Coughlin's (sp?) job last night. :eek:

Mansta54

Reaction score
Big Dakota;1761973 said:
I don't care what anyone says, you DO NOT let JG get away. We have a young DC that knows Wade's 34 D.

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!!

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
I would stick w/ Wade.

Yes, JG is the hottest OC in the league today. Who is to say that he could go out and do it all like Wade is doing it here. Lets not forget that Dallas has a crap load of offensive weapons to use. I bet a few good OC's could have similar results. That is not taking anything away from our OC. JG deserves some credit but it is the players who have to go out and make the plays. Not JG.

The Dallas O is VERY talented.

Bottom line. Defense wins championships tho.

Keep Wade.

jay cee

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;1761977 said:
I just hope Garrett didn't steal Tom Coughlin's (sp?) job last night. :eek:

That thought really gave me a moment of terror. Until I realized they would still have Manning at QB.:D

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1761973 said:
It's not just about knowing the defense. Cottrell knows the defense. Would you want him as coordinator? Of course not. It's about being smart with adjustments, play-calling, etc. Wade blitzes. More than most teams, even, but he's smart with it. Finding a smart, aggressive coordinator is a lot harder to find, I think.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Jerry just needs to look at the contract the Gregg Williams signed, pay him HC money with a provision that if he isn't the next head coach he gets a 1 time large lump sum equal to or greater than one year of his contract.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
If a team wants to throw money at Garrett to be their next Norv Turner, errr I mean head coach, they're more than welcome.

Garrett has had one year as QB coach (Harrington, Culpepper, Lemon) and one year as offensive coordinator. So that will be 2 years TOTAL in his whole career. No college, no high school, no pop warner, etc., just Jones familiarity with Garrett and knowing he had Sparano to hold his hand.

Not to make light of his accomplishments or anything.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I really dont think Garrett is going anywhere...its his first yr as OC and he really wanted to come here...he has arguably the leagues best young QB to coach for years to come, along with a great OL, great young TE corp, TO, Crayton and two good rb's (and possibly a really dominant RB via the draft next yr)

nobody will pay him more than Jones would to be a HC...if somehow we won the super bowl, I could possibly see Wade retiring, otherwise I think Wade and the staff are back mostly in tact next yr for another run

David

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Had J. Garrett remained in Miami, would he be this hot of commodity? I have my doubts.

I like J. Garrett and without a doubt he is a huge asset to our offense, but at the same time, his meteoric rise to being a great OC is fueled by having very good talent like Romo, TO, Witten, Barber and a very good O-Line.

Yes, he is a great OC, but that greatness can't be achieved without the talented players.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
if being the young offensive coordinator on a really explosive offense is key to getting a HC job, how come nobody is talking about the McDaniel guy in New England?

David

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'm pleasantly surprised at the results of this thread. :)

Nobody wants to lose Garrett. It's great that he's such a bright young mind who has some history here, but I'm not sure Sparano wouldn't do almost as well.

In fact, Brad Sham called in to 103.3 today when they were discussing this very thing this afternoon and he said not to sell Sparano short. He said Sparano's offense without Bill's constraints would have looked a lot like this one.

On the other hand, I'd hate to see what would happen to our D if we lost Wade. Like Theo said, look at his record the last several years... At what point is it not coincidence? After so many years of Zimmer, I don't want to go back to an average DC. Maybe Stewart would be great, but maybe he'd be another Cottrell, too.

Maybe we can just win a SB or two with Wade, he can retire, and Jason can take over. :)

rojan

Reaction score
Jerry should made a deal with Garrett that garentees him the Head Coaching Job after Wade steps down or there is some compensation.

I remember that the Ratskins did this with their Defensive Coordinator a couple years ago.