U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
from FWST

August 01, 2009
Some more from Phillips' presser

For your viewing pleasure...

On getting Jon Kitna here: "He has a real strong arm, quick release, he’s a smart quarterback and a tough guy to play against. Once he was out there we made it a priority to try and talk to him and see what interest there was and it worked out for us. You’re looking for a guy who can throw the ball, basically, and he’s done it well with not all the greatest teams in the world as far as personnel. But they moved the football and he threw the ball for a lot of yards."

On Keith Brooking now compared to his Atlanta days: "He still has a lot of savvy. He’s in a football position all the time. If you see a play, he’s always ready, if there’s some kind of counter move or going back the other direction, he doesn’t get out of bounds. He’s ready to break to the other direction.iIf there’s a pass play, he’s breaking toward the ball. I see those same things, and that’s part of what’s made him a great player. I’m sure he’s not quite as fast as he was, because he was one of the fastest, if not the fastest on our defense, including a lot of the defensive backs, in Atlanta when I was there."

On Bobby Carpenter: "I think Bobby Carpenter’s done well. He looks good in the run, the pass coverage looks good. He knows what to do and that’s a key thing. We put him in one position for a while, he’s been physical, athletic, all the things you’re looking for in a linebacker, so I look for Bobby to have a good year."

-- Tracey Myers

Posted at 04:12 PM in Dallas Cowboys | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Phillips talks injuries
We'll have a quick update on those, since Wade Phillips addressed them first in his between-practice press conference a few minutes ago.

Oh, and a quick note: Bradie James is fine. Felix Jones put a move on him, and the "break his ankle" bit was a figure of speech. Now, onto the injuries:

**Offensive lineman Michael Turkovich strained his knee in the morning session and is out this afternoon. Don't know what the prognosis is for the next few days.
**Wide receiver Isaiah Stanback just "knotted up" around his knee. Phillips said with the two-a-days, and Stanback coming off his knee injury/surgery, they held him out. Phillips said the 'Boys may have brought him back a bit too soon, but he'll be fine.
Guard Montrae Holland was excused for personal business today and he'll practice tomorrow.

-- Tracey Myers

Posted at 03:49 PM in Dallas Cowboys | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Here is alittle more write up on press conference;
Wade Phillips, Saturday, August 1st1st Aug, 2009Cowboys with a second practice coming up at 3:15pm, two on Sunday (morning is a walk-through), and two on Monday.

Wade Phillips Press Conference:

We’ll implement our Razorback package later on during camp, as we did during our OTA’s. We’re getting in our basic stuff right now.

We can put in a lot of things you’re going to do in training camp, it’s kind of a spring training, put everything in except goal lines, we’re just re-introducing things we’ve already had.

(On Jon Kitna)

I think it came pretty quickly for him–adjusting to our system, he’s got a strong arm and a tough guy to play against. Of course we saw him a couple of years ago. In the passing game, when you’re looking for a QB you’re looking for a guy who can throw the ball and he can do that with not all the greatest teams–as far as personnel. He’s had Mike Martz, but even before that he’s been effective throwing the ball.

(Daily game plan)

I watch what we do on film and know what plays will give a 3-4 or 4-3 a problem.

(Felix

We’ve changed some, you know Marion Barber we had a feel for what he can do well since he’s done it for a little while, including a big year two years ago.

With Felix, we had to get a feel for—a little bit of one—and saw it today in the media guide, he only had 30 rushing attempts last season we expect he’ll have a whole lot more this year. You want to get him outside, but he can go inside too, he’s more a bounce outside threat and had plans to design that for him.

Tashard is a little bit of both, inside and outside.

(Miles Austin)

Miles is tremendous hard worker, I think the more he works the better he gets I think he has a good feel for our offense. I feel good for where he is right now.

(V. Butler)

Butler was the most impressive guy to me for what he knew technique wise. We communicated by phone, he got the play book…he worked on the things with his family. He obviously did a lot as far as technique is concerned.

(K Brooking now and Atlanta)

Not much, he still has a lot of savvy. He’s in a football position all the time. If you see a play, he’s always ready. If there’s a counter move he’s not out of balance ready to go the other direction. If there’s a pass play, he’s always anticipating the play and that’s part of what’s made him a great player. I’m sure he’s not quite as fast as he was, because he was one of our fastest guys when I was in Atlanta.

(Comparing Keith Brooking to Zach Thomas)

He’s a bigger guy and probably faster than Zach. Zach did a great job for us but I think Keith will do very well for us.

(Talking to veterans about game time, number of snaps, like Keith Brooking)

I don’t fault a guy for wanting to be in on eevry play, but if we rest them a little bit—he (Brooking) hasn’t missed a play in some 8-years. The key is getting the opponent in longer yardage after first and second down.

(Bobby Carpenter)

I think Bobby’s done well. He looks good against the run, and his pass coverage has been good. He knows what to do. Put him in one position and learn it and know what to do. He’s big, fast, athletic–I look for Bobby having a good year.

(Compare talk with Kitna to that of Brooking)

Well Kitna knew Tony Romo was the starter…he knew his situation. He’ll be ready when and if we need him…and we knew he wanted to come here.

(OL Flozell and Gurode went down with apparent injuries, but they’re okay–do you hold you breath in that situation)

You always worry about injuries, I think coaches always do. I don’t think the worst all the time. YOu get banged up a lot in football and if every player got banged up and it got to me, I’d be in bad shape. It’s a tough game, nicks and bruises are going to happen. We will rest some of the OL from time to time.

(3 straight 2-a-days)

Today is the natural progression from one a day to two a day. Tonight’s meeting we’ll go over Sunday and then Monday.

(Gerald Sensabaugh in pass coverage)

I think if you saw the one-on-one’s this morning, he went against the WR’s and made two outstanding plays…the one-on-one, offensive players can do anything, run anywhere, take as much time—and he made two outstanding plays, as did Mike Jenkins

That’s as good as I’ve seen playing one-on-one this morning. Scandrick and Jenkins were very good this morning and Larry Lacewell was watching tape with us of the morning workout and he commented on them too.

You can put him at strong safety and go man-to-man on tight end, he can come up and make tackle too.

I thought we was a guy we needed to get, we went after him and when it came down to signing him–Dave Campo coached him and Coach Joe D. knew him and recommended him. They said he was outstanding and he looks like a good football player.

(Rookies making impact–like Scandrick did a mid-round pick)

I think you’d be going out on a limb to say whatever. I think pass rush wise we have some guys who can do some things.
by smoaky;

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
only thing i didnt like in that report was larry lacewell in meetings,

we all know how his drafts with jerry jones were stinkers

in fact when parcells got here in 2003 he ran lacewell off, best i remember;

Aven8

Reaction score
I cannot wait to see Sensabaugh.....if he can cover in games like they are talking about...our secondary is going to be a lot different!

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yep, i talked to him on his website, he said he really needs to get the interceptions

i think he will do fine, at least get about 6 interceptions or 7, hopefully 8 or so, but i would take 6-7.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2863571 said:
yep, i talked to him on his website, he said he really needs to get the interceptions

i think he will do fine, at least get about 6 interceptions or 7, hopefully 8 or so, but i would take 6-7.

That's even a lot to ask for one season. Didn't Ed Reed have 8 or 9?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yes and no, everson walls had 11 interceptions his rookie year